Register now to get rid of these ads!

Roth Rattle Bomb Flake

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by magsnubby, Jun 14, 2010.

1. Zombie57Ranchero

Zombie57Ranchero

My friend Rickie sells this at his shop in Costa Mesa CA and for alot cheaper then on the website...If anyones interested PM me and i'll give you his contact info

2. Never2low

Never2low

A quick question. Need a quick low budget summer projest while I'm unemployed, and was thinking of finally getting around to spraying my old Schwinn cruizer. The origial color was a deep metalic blue, almost saphire. I never thought I'd be able to achieve what I want out of a can, but I'm liking what I see. I want that same deep blue, but flake. Looking at Norwells picks I think it's pretty close. Silver base, silver flake, blue candy, and lots of clear. What I was wondering was; does the amont of candy dictate the shade? What I mean is, if a darker color is desired, can multiple coats of kandy be applied to darken the effect. I'm not that concerned with minimizing the effect of the flake as long as I achieve the darker shade. Actually a subdued affect would be desired. Or will the blue base, blue flake, blue kandy, and clear give a darker shade, without producing a subdued flake effect? Road Farmers all blue approach appears lighter than I'm looking for, maybe it's just the lighting. The outskirts of the side panels on "May Cause Dangerous", tops of the quarters above the wheel wells, are really close to what I'm going for. Anybody have input?

Attached Files:

3. Flootiebuell

Flootiebuell

The answer is yes to all.....I played around with different bases and coats of candy.....for the roof of my truck I used a semi gloss white base then cherrie pie base then flake then candie....then a ton of clear and wet sanding.....I did 4 coats of the candie which gave me a deep dark red......I used the same steps on some bike parts but used just two coats of candie for a much lighter red....almost like fruit punch.....

4. Never2low

Never2low

I figured as much, but wanted to verify before I screwed up a good base/flake job with too much kandy.

Thanks!

5. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

I love this shit...works good......Add LOTS of Clear!
    Gambino is my HERO:)

BEFORE

[​IMG]

AFTER

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Ballageddon

Ballageddon
    from NorCal

I got mine from AB Supply in Fremont. Not bad. Sprays well andgood coverage. I had zero clogging problems. I used duplicolor redbase. Ruined Retina flake bomb. And duplicolor clear. No kandy. Pretty in the sun.

7. koolkemp

koolkemp

Any problem shipping this stuff up from the States Jeff or did you pick it up while you were down there?

8. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

koolkemp
    I had my buddy Phil in Buffalo hold them at his place for me..yes.... they can't get them(roth) across the border...
    I also get them shipped to different locations and on my travels I pick them up.

9. theredfalcon

theredfalcon

Lil Daddy Roth Rattle Bomb. Here is my tank start to almost finish.

pic 1: 1000 grit on old black tank
    pic 2: generic rattle primer
    pic 3: Lil Daddy Roth Warm Beer Base
    pic 4: Lil Daddy Roth Cherry Pie Flake (2 full cans)
    pic 5: The flake sprays evenly but cloudy as seattle in the spring. Don't worry wet sanding made it come out nice. 1000 grit.
    pic 6: Lil Daddy Roth Cherry Pie Kandy
    pic 7: Spraymax 2 in 1 can clear.

I need to wet sand the clear and buff out a few orange peel spots, but I will come out like glass.

Attached Files:

10. ab supply

ab supply
    from fremont

All of the rattle bomb products are automotive grade materials.If the product sprays cloudy most likely there is too much being applied.The flake is in a binder balancer mix like HOK SG 150...It pays to be patient and wait 15 minutes between coats.Mixing different aerosal products with our stuff can have train wreck results..example rustoleum primer can turn into wrinkle city as its oil based.If you really want to intermix,do it at your own risk and at the very least do a test panel.There are alot of good automotive grade primers that will work but be aware sometimes they can ruin your work if not compatible.Hopefully someone thinking about using the product will take this all into consideration...Oh and the tank looks great!..more pics

11. 123

from Seattle

Anyone know how this would hold up on an engine?

12. jasone

jasone

ab, can you recommend an appropriate filler primer to use with this product?

13. derbydad276

derbydad276

omg!!!! I want this stuff to do the dash and doors on my f 100

a can covers 13 sq feet???????

I m thinkin 1 can for each door and 1 for the dash
    so about 12 cans including the ? base ,flake, candy and clear ?
    at 20 bucks a can? yikes

14. screwball

screwball

we were talking about this today is any one selling this stuff up in northern N.Y.

15. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Here ya go 8 months later....

Attached Files:

16. gasolinescream

gasolinescream

The guitar looks great. Until now i've done much the same. Between the DIY store and the hobby shop there's some cool paints and stuff hidden away. I don't know enough about flake yet but the glitter you used looks like a small flake, much the same i've been using. I can only get silver or gold in the can which limits things. I've used various other glitters but dry spraying them on with a home made gun. All turned out well for a home brewed job. I like playing around with stuff like this so maybe time to step up, get my wallet out, stop playing with kids glitter and buy some flake. I'm going to chase up and see if available in the UK. Just ordered an airbrush aswell, this is getting silly!!!

17. EchoOfGecko

EchoOfGecko

So I'm getting ready to spray my engine, and I'm trying to come close to the color on my roof. Would anyone be able to point me in the right direction as far as base is concerned?

Based on some of the samples I've seen, I'm guessing a silver base, Surfite Silver flake, Bad-azzz Blue kandy, and clear. Or would I be better off with a blue base?

Doesn't need to be a dead match, and I'll probably do a couple small tests before I do the whole motor, but I'm just hoping to avoid buying $60 worth of the wrong color. Any recommendations or pointers would be great!

[​IMG]

18. EchoOfGecko

EchoOfGecko

Any paint gurus have any thoughts?

19. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

I think that would be best..but I am no paint guru......

20. Flathead Johnny

Flathead Johnny
    from MA

this is the first time i have seen this product and i think its super cool, i cant wait to find a project it will fit!!!

21. 383stroker

383stroker
    from Roscoe, SD

i might get some to paint a caddy style air cleaner

22. 55 gasser pickup

55 gasser pickup
    from utah

You have got to be flak'n kidding me!is this stuff expensive?

23. 56boracho

56boracho
    from lot

Did you flake paint your dash? Was thinking if doing the sAme to my chevy
    Just wondering how the paint came out?

Last edited: Jan 23, 2012
  24. 54LedSled

54LedSled

Bump!....Just checking back to see if anyone has attmepted ot spray this on their engines and how it turned out? Post pics!