Register now to get rid of these ads!

question about 52 olds power steering

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by muddy52olds98, Aug 14, 2011.

1. muddy52olds98

muddy52olds98

question about 52 olds power steering which line is the high side and which one is the low side it's all stock.

2. HellRaiser

HellRaiser
    from Podunk, NE

The top fitting is the return line. The bottom fitting is the pressure line.

HellRaiser

3. muddy52olds98

muddy52olds98

thanks a lot that helps I have the lines right but someone give me a pump I think it off a 56 maybe it looks the seem but it just has one fitting on the back and one on top and I can't get the air out of it

4. HellRaiser

HellRaiser
    from Podunk, NE

On a 52 Olds, there are two different pumps used. Either a Vickers or a Eaton.

You can bleed the air out by preferably filling the lines from the gear to the pump. But most of us don't have the proper equipment to do it right, so. you can go ahead and fill from the reservoir.

Run the engine for about a minute or less at idle, just enough to get the oil to circulating.

Then run the engine for about a minute at about 1500 rpm moving the steering wheel full travel from one side to the other. You should have the oil level about one inch below the rim of the reservoir.

If you didn't put the lid tight on the reservoir, you can take it back off and check for bubbles.

You might want to check and see which pump you have. A Vickers would be #561883 and the Eaton is #5664322.

The Olds 52-53-54-55 should be the same. 56, I'm not sure.

Hope this helps

HellRaiser