Register now to get rid of these ads!

Attention PAC NW HOT RODDERS: Seattle needs a Traditional Hot Rod and Custom Show.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hitchhiker, Aug 14, 2011.

1. dvs28

dvs28
    from pacific nw

VW in the 80s wow thats crazy!

2. We are mainly looking at Sandpoint. Most of what you see in the photo is now gone, airstrip included. but the last hanger on the top right by the water is still there. That's the one we are trying for. We'll see. I've been to a show there, but it was years ago. I've also got a standing offer of the use of a local community college as well. As far as food is concerned I think we have a few vendors that are interested. But nothing firm. I am not sure we are going to have a band. i'm not even sure we can have one in the preferred space...we'll see, Unless people think its a make it or break it deal, I can tell you one thing if we do, it won't be a Rock-a-silly band. This was just an idea that we are tossing around. To be honest...We are thinking of doing some thing along the lines of an invitational. maybe 100-150 MAX.

3. I can remember doing some of the VW events back in the mid '80s at Sandpoint, and a Silver auction once in, I think, that same hangar. It's not a bad venue, and the ingress/egress is reasonable, though I don't know how to read the 520 toll as having any impact......not really a major concern I think.

As mentioned, you'll need to import food vendors, and probably porta-potties. Given where it is it'll likely end up pretty much a "closed" event, i.e. not may civilians......neither good nor bad, just depends on your objectives. Running the gate like HRAR will put you in the position of being a "bad guy", though you can manage some of that in your promotion material, but the integrity of your vision is at stake so should be worth any minor annoyance.

Good business principles should apply, even though it's not exactly a business. You are birthing a new endeavor. Over reaching and not realizing all the pitfalls can kill an otherwise potentially great idea. Think of it as a building exercise. Start with a managable show based on your financial and manpower resources. Like building a car, it'll probably cost more than you think, and take more work. In the end it should be fun. I would hope too that Steve would give you some firsthand feedback............there may be a (or many) good reasons they had to stop promoting HRAR, you just need to figure out if they apply to your objective.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2011
  4. yep Cal-Look VW, and when a 21 or 23 window buses could be bought for way less than $125,000. Let me know if I can be of help..

5. "Running the gate like HRAR will put you in the position of being bad guy",
    If you want to keep it a True Hot Rod and Custom show, make it a invite type show with the cars you feel represent the true nature of Hot Rods and Customs. Try to explain to a person why there car can't be in the show. ( ie muscle cars , stockers, etc . nothing against those cars at all just saying) But some people don't really understand, and want to join in the fun since they have a "old " car. I support what your doing, and if I can help would love to.

6. Rolf

Rolf

Sandpoint is a great area, good luck with it.

7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There is room at the south end and behind the old brewery for a 2/300 car show. There are plenty of food outlets in the area but it would be on asphalt and supply your own restrooms. My Nephew's band's studio is at the other end of that set of buildings.

It probably wouldn't be hard to find a couple of food vendors who would want to set up for the day. Sometimes the fraternal organizations like Lions or Elks have portable food carts that usually serve pretty decent stuff.
    There are enough bars in the immediate area that you don't need to worry about a beer garden or the hassles that come with that. There are also several places that serve food in the area.

8. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

I'd love to see it, mabey i can even get something running someday...

If ya need help there letme know

Last edited: Aug 16, 2011
  9. Personally I never liked bands at car shows. If you need music pump a little in and keep it down so you don't have to yell over it. I go to car shows to see cars and shoot the shit with other car people.

Too bad Dicks doesn't cater to these kinds of things .... A deluxe, fries, and a chocolate shake sure sounds good =)

10. We would drive over for a good show fo sho.

11. Rolf

Rolf

Like mentioned before, Glucoft will be a great advisor on this. It's a lot of work and you will need many volunteers. Maybe a by invitation only will be best, that way you don't have to ask the 8 guys in the flat black 66 Fairlane to turn around at the gate.

12. Rolf

Rolf

Oh yeah, one more thing: if you don't make sure there is a latte' stand within walking distance, there will be trouble !!:D

13. Thanks everyone. I've got some people to call and will get in touch with Steve.....

I think we are going with "The Pacific NW Hot Rod and Custom Invitational"

or

"The Invitational"

for short.

I'll keep you all updated. I gotta get to work.

14. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

Don't invite Rolf!

15. Why, because he is a latte hound?

16. hotrd32

hotrd32
    from WA

Subscribed......will be interested in how this goes......was really pissed that Hot Rod O Rama didn't fly this year.....was really looking forward to that one...

17. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

"The Sand Point Invitational"

18. I gotta admit I like that. But we haven't solidified the space yet....

Anyone else got a good name they want to throw in?

19. Boeing Bomber

Boeing Bomber

This sounds great. As I started to read this thread, I immediately thought of Sand Point, or Georgetown. I kinda prefer Georgetown because it's a new area, that has good access, decent bars, and old town cool. However there is Airport road that may be a bit too tempting for some rodders to show off their muscle.
    Sand Point is a natural. It's already proven itself as a car event venue, as long as other shows in the past didn't mess it up.
    Definitely have a year cap, and maybe an invitational is a good way to keep the first event from getting out of hand. But if it's as successful as we all hope, then opening it up later in a year or so would make it confusing if we start it off by calling it "The Sand Point Invitational". Even with an invitational of just 150+ cars, we'd have to include out of towners from B.C., and the Inland Emperors. Is there room for spectator parking that would turn into a mini show in itself from the non invited? I wouldn't expect to be invited to show with my primered '41, but I'd sure drive it there to see the show.
    I'm with ya' Matt. put me on the volunteer list.

20. jrt49box

jrt49box

Go big or don't go at all! As for invitational, you might as well say political and I for one would not go to invite only shows. Set your limits on the years and let the rest play out. Just my HO.

21. Traditional northwest invitational

22. Or...

"Worlds best damn rat rod and low rider fest"

23. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

The Catalina Wine Mixer is taken

24. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

An invitational would be very subjective and piss a lot of people off. Sounds like fun to me. It'd be a good way top keep anyone from Spokanistan out. How many farm trucks do you really need in one place other than the grange hall anyway.

25. Oh Hey I like that ! LOL , kidding.

You have some great ideas, look forward to hearing some more about this.
    PM sent.

26. I like the first one, also The Sand Point Invitational is a great idea( providing you get that location)

27. I was just thinking about how pissed you'll be when your not invited :D

28. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

I always assume, if I'm invited to anything, the guest list isn't exclusive enough. Maybe that's why I rarely see you. Smack down boy.

29. Fuck it Dug. You know neither you nor I will be invited to anything this exclusive. Lets have our own exclusive show.

"Chris and Dug's Chris and Dug ONLY exclusive invitational"

You bring the beer, I'll bring myself

30. We're having the Concourse de Rat Rod and your the star of the show! But you can only bring your roadsters.....the trucks to nice. ;)

PS, I'l reply to all the PM's in the morning. Thanks guys!