Register now to get rid of these ads!

who else is in rural america?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1950coronet600hp, Aug 13, 2011.

1. havi

havi

Or type in the address and mapquest puts it off by about 8 miles.

And yeah, cell phones don't work here either.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2011
  2. 95stepside

95stepside
    from iowa

i live on a farm between a town of 200 and a town of 400, closest thing to a stop light is a blinking red at the4 way intersection . closest attraction: FIELD OF DREAMS. just went by it the other day

3. Salty

Salty
    from Florida

I moved out of the "Better Jacksonville Plan" (Jax Fl) cause it SUCKED BIG!

Moved out to ST Johns county....it's classified as St Augustine however I'm 25 miles from the "city" (couple thousand, mostly of which are tourists) and am still close to the city for work (35 miles) Worth the drive.....school zones are A rated, everyone gets to know you and actually waves when they drive by.....hell I even roll my winder down on the way home to smell the pastures on the way home....

I Love it!

4. synchro7

synchro7

I live in the metropolis of Byers, Colorado, pop 1233. Who knows how many cows and acres and acres of wheat fields. Thirty minute drive east of Denver. Close enough for a quick trip in, and for enough away from the BS.

5. I'm five miles out of my city,,out in the "piney woods"of East Texas..cell phones barely work..That dicataes my internet connection to "Dial-up"..SUCKS BIGTIME

6. gtkane

gtkane

How about rural Canada?
    I am 30 miles from Winnipeg. Population 300. No traffic lights. Rush hour is when the combine drives by. The police come by every Sunday afternoon to make sure we are still here. My garage is the only business in town.

7. KrisKustomPaint

KrisKustomPaint

Rhineland, Mo - Pop. 176, but I'm pretty sure that includes dogs, cats, and chickens.

8. nailhead terry

nailhead terry

Wow we dont have cell phone signal and its great. One red light I live 8 miles from it on a small lake and my shop is 4 miles out from here. Life is great but 40 miles to work every day gets old but it gives me time to think about building cars !!!

9. RidgeRunner

RidgeRunner
    from Western MA

Out in the territories of Western MA in a corner of a town of about 1700. Deer, bear, turkey among the wildlife that hang around the house and my assortment of mechanical lawn art. Been 1/2 way 'round the world and still get out when I can - preferably Bonneville, Maxton, Loring - the best place in the best country I've found to live in yet.

Ed

10. TerrytheK

TerrytheK
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

About an hour to the nearest town of any substance, two hours in any direction to any "metro" area. Moved back to my hometown about 15 years ago, do like the pace and the space here but sure would be nice to have the resources that larger cities have. That's why I do a fair amount of business via internet. But I also have a really good working relationship with the guys at my local parts store!

As far as car events, I make my own. I drive my old car every chance I get - work, church, grocery shopping.... (Yeah, I know. Hold the comments please!) A lot of the time, I even leave the keys in it when I go into the store. And I never lock my garage unless I leave town for a few days.

Personally, I think we're the SMART ones! ;)

11. outlaw256

outlaw256

her plane went down just outside dyersburg tn.between dyersburg and halls. that where you from?i lived there for about15 yrs. loved it, just got to big.

12. Jeff Walker

Jeff Walker

I have lived in the country practically all my live. My current residence of 23 years was my maternal grandparents place and is located 7 miles from the closest town of Hazen that has a population of around 2500. I wouldn't want it have it any other way.

13. I live in Winfield, WV. Population is approx 1400 and is the county seat of Putnam County. One traffic light (well, not counting the 4 that I have displayed in my garage!). We see deer, rabbits and squirrels in the neighborhood nearly every day. "Thank God I'm a country boy".

Jim

14. coppertone

coppertone

Sign in my town says"Scarville Iowa next 3 exits, population 75, more or less"

15. adamshumard

adamshumard

I grew up into a town of a little over 100. Actually about 2 miles from it. then when I got out of school i moved to the big city where there's about 2200

16. 69supercj

69supercj

Grew up in Springfield, MO, pop. 150K but have spent most of my adult life living just north of Fair Grove, MO, pop. 1000. I bought my grandparents farm back in the mid '80's while I was in the Air Force and have lived here since '90. Would trade it for nothing.

17. hydroshawn

hydroshawn
    from Tx,Ca

15 minutes outside Brenham, Tx on a dirt road. Does that count.

18. ironpile

ironpile

My home town of 2800 is still too big for me,I want a country home with a few acres but......................better half is a country girl and hates it,so what am I to do? Whatever she says I can do!!!!!!!!!!

19. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

Not very many people before the flood,even less now.Houses sell for about $14,000 with a garage, commercial buildings even less. When we were moving because of the flood someone ask if I was going to lock everything up,nope I replied, I don't have any keys for anything, never was a need the lock anything before.
    The local bar has Carp on Friday night, the kids turn around right in front of my house when crusing main street. Boy scouts put out flags on all the Holidays. Just what small town america is supposed to be about.

20. 69supercj

69supercj

I've been to Hamburg Iowa. If I remember correctly there's a guy there who's got several Mustangs and some other old cars. Seems like he was fairly close to the NAPA store.

21. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

Smak dab in the center of town is a piece of land that sticks out into the water. Not quite rual by Iowa standards. But I can do what ever I want to out here.

22. 48 Poncho

48 Poncho
    from Tennessee

Yeah I saw that on the back of an album cover a long time ago but it's wrong. Truth is the plane went down in Benton County in West Tennessee just outside the city limits of Camden where I live. I was in the first grade when it happened. A lot of kids came to school with stuff from the crash. There is a monument where the crash site was. The Chamber of Commerce in Camden sponsors a Patsy Cline contest. Not sure it's on their website but I do see a brochure on it occasionally.

Dyresburg is a good 70=75 miles from here well away from the actual crash site.

48 Poncho

23. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

Been there, cool area

24. Population under 1450, like you, 45 miles from the nearest town (23,000). Moved here from the northern San Fernando Valley, CA in 2001. The schools are smaller and the kids can walk to the park, play in the unfenced yard, walk at night. It's a small slice of the good life.

25. big creep

big creep

wow thats beautiful!

26. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

When I got my house in 1965 on the west inland side of Miami Fla.,I was way out in the sticks,had gators stumping through the yard from a canel out back.
    Now there hole towns around me and too the west,so it was,it an't!:eek:

27. I prefer it, I do alot of mail order parts purchases, small town of a few thousand +/- 5 miles away. I can run air tools in the middle of the night and no neighbors close enough to hear or complain, I can bring anything home and not worry where to put it, crime free peace of mind, all of us in America have been blessed in many ways & some of us were blessed with being able to live in rural areas.

28. Blades

Blades
    from Chicago

I wish I lived out in the peace and quiet of rural America. Dreamt of it my whole life. *SIGH*

29. My town grew to 60,000 and we have a friggin Tiffany
    It was small town when I was little :0(

30. 47ragtop

47ragtop

I live 15 miles from civilzation. Wouldn't have it any other way.Most people don't understand when we say we are GOING TO TOWN. LOL