Register now to get rid of these ads!

Y block Measurement ??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by metal surgeon, Aug 13, 2011.

1. I was wondering if a Y block owner take a quick measurement for me?

All i wanna know is how long is the engine from the water pump to the trans mount.

Much thanks if someone measures this for me

Thanks Aaron MS

2. AAFD

AAFD
    from US of A

30" from bellhousing flange to water pump snout

3. 28chevrat

28chevrat

Well it depends, I have an Model A truck with a C4 behind it......I bought an aluminum bellhousing adapter to dump the old ford 2 speed fordomatic. i have a c4 behind it now (which is waaayyy better if your budget permits it) Around 60 inches give or take a few .......if you need a very accurate measurement let me know

4. Thanks this is the one i need just now thanks!

28chevrat, what company made your adaptor? Thank you for your help

5. The fordomatic behind Y-blocks is actually a three speed

Here is a list of stuff for a C4 swap

If you aren't opposed to a stick, a t-5 is the "best" option behind a Y-block, because of the steep overdrive. Though, if you're looking for an automatic, a C4 or AOD are both pretty good options.

6. I will be picking up my 1956 Customline on the 18th (hopefully, if everything goes as planned). It has a 272 Y backed by a T-5 from a '93 Mustang GT I will try and get some measurements when I get the car. Just send me a PM to remind me.

7. Definately not apposed to a t5 or manual of some type... I am a big believer of the saying REAL hot rods have 3 pedals,
    I am in the early stages of the engine part of my 28, Hence why i am after measurements and havn't really put much thouht into the second half of the drive line besides donk and diff

Thanks Aaron

MitchellDeMoor, f i do go manual and need any help i'll send a PM cheers

8. Is there anything i should look out for Y block engine wise whilst on my hunt to find one in Australia?

9. 28chevrat

28chevrat

28chevrat, what company made your adaptor? Thank you for your help[/QUOTE]

I ordered it from Flat O products, it was a complete kit. It fit great and works great. www.flat-o.com

Engine wise there are some parts that are more desirable than others. Better set of heads would be ECZ-G. Also some of the rocker arms on them were 1.5's instead of the standard 1.4's. Check out www.ford-y-block.com has a lot of great info and they also sell parts. Shows where to look for part numbers, also gives you most part numbers you need.