Register now to get rid of these ads!

Did I get the wrong idea?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 48 Chubby, Aug 11, 2011.

1. 48 Chubby

48 Chubby
    Member Emeritus

I have been cruiseing the hamb for quite a while now, and have been seeing a good many responses that all seem to be sung to the same tune. That tune being "You;re Not Going to Cut That up Are You?"
    Clean original 1932 Fords, '42 Ford convertables, rarities, odditys, and certified classics as far as I am concerned are ALL potential fodder to feed the hot rod and custom combine.
    When a person buys a car it belongs to them. That person is under no obligation of any sort to that car, or any other of his possessions. If you don't like the way he treats his property cough up the bucks and buy it from him.
    And finally this is a hot rod site.
    This is not a automotive restoration society site.
    Be a man. Cut it up if you want. Just be traditional in how you do it.

2. chrisntx

chrisntx
    from Texas .

Thank you for permission

3. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I'm a hot rodder and have never felt bad about turning a car into a hot rod or custom. HOWEVER, every once in a while a survivor that is extremely clean and original comes along and if I owned it I would feel I were destroying a car that deserved to live out the rest of it's life unmolested.

Years ago I bought a 38 Chevy sedan with the intentions of making a rod out of it. But after I saw how much love and work the PO had put into doing a frame off, I just didn't have the heart to ruin all of that. So I sold it to a restorer and looked for something that I didn't feel bad about changing.

I know some guys only see these cars as steel and fair game to chop up, but some of us have a soft spot for one that is too nice to cut up.

Don

4. 48 Chubby

48 Chubby
    Member Emeritus

Guess I set a wrong note here. It ain't about permission, it's about hot rods, not factory restorations.

5. squirrel

squirrel

Fortunately, I know of another forum where I can get permission (even encouragement) to cut up a nice old car in a non-traditional way, if I so desire. So I guess all bases are covered.

6. Deuces

Deuces

I thought a thread like this one got yanked last week.... Or was it the week before???

7. Ive never thought anything was to nice to cut up. :p
    Reckon a photo will take care of the history side of things if thats your worry, then cut that sucker!
    When i want restoring, i head over to Fordbarn.
    This heres a hot rod site, and hot rodders, hot rod their cars. :D:cool:

8. Harms Way

Harms Way

No argument here !,..... Slice it & dice it, Make all the sparks you want!,.... Just MAKE IT SAFE !
    (Oh,.. and, Ah,... preferably not ugly :cool:)

9. harmless

harmless

10. fiveohnick2932

fiveohnick2932
    from Napa, Ca.

So you want me to take one like this
    [​IMG]

And turn it into this:

Attached Files:

11. Uh, No :eek:

12. cl350rr

cl350rr

funny this should come up, I just got a picture from the guy out in AZ who cut up a rust free econoline to send me some pieces for my rust pile... I am a little sick in the stomach. seriously considering having him ship me a whole truck now.

13. dudley32

dudley32

I agree with Don.. sometimes a Car just needs to be left alone..My Dads '29 built about 1959...

[​IMG]

14. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

...if you're gonna start a drama thread, at least have the decency to include a picture of the bunny with a pancake on its head...

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  15. SquireDon

SquireDon
    from Oregon

Rod it or Leave it alone? This debate has gone on forever. It will continue to go on forever.

No side of the issue will give any ground.

Why fight this battle again?

16. jipp

jipp

no need to feel guilty you probably have to get use too it. most of our cars are pretty rust free, assuming they did not start life somewhere else.. salt is hell on rigs no matter where it gets picked up from.
    chris.

17. go-twichy

go-twichy
    BANNED

oh please god in heaven, creater of all things large and small,make it tradishshanul.(this was included so all the spelling people have something to do as well.) is that word over used? no. i did'ent think so. traditional.....strange word to discribe a small space in time of people fixing up cars.

18. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

And there's a lot of people here who don't like that type of attitude. Today;in the world of hot rodding there is this idea of the car always havingto be cut up. the majority of all hot rods done today are overdone....well maybenotthe majority but there are a lot ofhot rods that are too overdone. what ever happened to the idea that less is more. There are also the vast majorityof us who see a car that has survived in impeccable condition until this day and we have an overwhelming amount of respect for it. Those family heirloom cars that have survived in the family shed for years;finally brought out to see the light of day, no rust, original paint, in great shape. those are the types of cars the majority of hot rod enthusiasts here would much rather see it stay the way it was out of respect. Sometimes its not all about cutting up the car and making it a "hotrod." To be truthful, you dont have to cut a car up to make it a hotrod. Cutting it up isnt amatter of being a man either. Being a man means having respect and many times; cutting these cars up ultimately ruins them....forever.

Many times these cars come from families who treasure them but can't afford to protect them any longer. becomming the owner of this prozed family posession means you are now thecaretaker of it. So do so; and have some respect for IT and the people who ensured its survival for this long.yep; sometimes cars should just be left alone and even hot rodders, the good ones, can understand that.

Sure its your car to do with what you want; but if youre looking for a car to hot rod;don't go purchase theprized family car just to cut it up and piss them off. go for something that needs some work. like i said; respect goes a long way.

19. The_Monster

The_Monster

If youre worried that cutting a perfect car will offend people, dont ever show "before" pics.

20. The37Kid

The37Kid

Every car project that hits the HAMB is unique, not all owners share the same skills or knowledge of automotive history. Planning to cut up something without thought is just plain stupid. Giving helpful advice is a HAMB tradition.

21. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

It must be the full moon, theres just been alot of deuchey drama today...

22. "A man should do what he thinks best" (John Wayne)

23. flatoutflyin

flatoutflyin

I was planning to cut this up with a chop saw and sell it for scrap. It weighs about 2700 lbs., but now that I've thought about it...

Attached Files:

24. cleatus

cleatus
    from Sacramento

Everytime, I see someone who adds "Please...DO NOT cut that car" to a post, I wish there was a mechanism to reach through the ol interweb and kick them in the teabag for me. Absolutely drives me nuts when someone is totally obsessed with thinking a car was perfect the way it came from the factory and cannot be visually improved no matter what - even though examples exist of one that was beautifully cut - they just cannot seem to get past the idea that stock is always best.

Then.......this (pictured below)recently ended up in my garage, and I'll be damned if I didn't start thinking it deserves to stay as it is.

Damn...well ok, it is not that I think a 5 widow A is perfect as original (since they do make my favorite rod) BUT ok maybe certain cars...

Wheres that teabag button?

Attached Files:

25. 32Gnu

32Gnu

To each their own.. I'm with farmer girl.. This car has been in the family 58 years now.. Won't ever get cut.. It's a deal I made with my mom to get it.... But if I do decide to cut it I'll be sure to ask if would make it a more traditional hot rod that meets the hamb requirements....
    THIS IS A DEAD THREAD.

[​IMG] Roll on 2....