Register now to get rid of these ads!

Places that will narrow an 8.8 rear in MA?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by umassjj, Aug 10, 2011.

1. umassjj

umassjj
    from MA

Hey guys, I have a line on an Explorer rearend with 3.55's, Posi, and disc brakes. Best of all, it's cheap. I'd like to put it under my 64 Comet. The Explorer rear is offset with one short tube and one long one. If I can get the rear narrowed to match the short side (I'd use another factory short side axle), it'd be a perfect fit. It'll hold up fine to my power- the Comet isnt going to be putting out more than 350 horse.

Anyone know of any places in MA or CT that could do it? I'm in the Springfield area.

Thanks,

Jay

2. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

call carl zorak , has an add in the back of the wheeler dealer magazine , works on rear ends and narrows nines must be able to do 8 s also , he is in ma

3. havi

havi

Subscribing. Planning on doing the same with my 8.8 for my Fairlane.

4. umassjj

umassjj
    from MA

Thanks Captain! I hadn't thought of Zorks! Now that I think of it, buddies used to bring their cars to him in high school for gear changes.

Havi, this is something that lots of guys have done successfully with 60's Fords. Just have to find the right place to chop it and weld it. That's above my skill level

5. t-rod

t-rod

Did this same mod on the 8.8 under my roadster, rather, had it done. Had it done twice because of a mis-measurement (on the guy doing the work). Have the long tube cut the same size as the short tube and you'll be fine, ask me how I know.

6. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

With the axles the same length does the pinion end up centered? Ford 9" there is about a 4" difference in order to have the pinion central, I don't know if an 8.8 is like that..Just asking..

7. edweird

edweird

i just finished doing this. i cut the long side to make it match the short side. welded it all back up, then got another short axle from LKQ for 44 dollars. it fits under my 53 stude like a champ[no pun intended]

8. Safari-Tracker

Safari-Tracker

I put one under my 64 falcon fits great.

9. t-rod

t-rod

No, not centered. The "pumpkin" as viewed from the rear is centered, but the pinion yoke is offset to the right side about 1 1/2 - 2 inches.

10. umassjj

umassjj
    from MA

Bitchin'! Safari, what are you running for wheels and tires out back? You still have the stock wheelwells or did you mini tub?

11. umassjj

umassjj
    from MA

Called Wzorek's today, and the guy said no problem. Ballparked it at between $400-$600 if I roll in there with the rearend fresh out of the Explorer, and he tears it down, cuts, welds the housing, reassembles all of it, and welds on the spring perches and shock mounts. Way less if I were to bring a bare housing to him. I'll keep you guys posted.