Register now to get rid of these ads!

What engine is this?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by POLYFRIED 35, Aug 9, 2011.

1. POLYFRIED 35

POLYFRIED 35

Ford Family group 330/361/391 displacement 361 CID
    [​IMG]

It's in a mid to late 70's F700

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone4 using TJJ

iPOLYFRIED 35

2. havi

havi

361 FT basically from the FE family.

Heads and intake are made more towards torque, not high rpms.

3. POLYFRIED 35

POLYFRIED 35

Ok thanks!

iPOLYFRIED 35

4. squirrel

squirrel

these ones where you tell us what engine it is, are the easiest to answer. 361, which is the medium truck version of the 360

5. Might have a forged crank in it but the front snout would have to be turned down to use in a regular FE. Rob.

6. POLYFRIED 35

POLYFRIED 35

@squirrel ... Your right LOL I kind of answers my own question didn't I?! I'm only familiar with the more common 289 302 361 352 400 and 460 I've personally never heard of a 361. I love the HAMB! Could get this one cheap, but think I will pass.

Thanks for the engine info!

iPOLYFRIED 35

7. havi

havi

yeah, I know cheap, lol. I got my '76 391FT 4v for free with 5sp. clark tranny. Just so big and heavy, and not made for HP, that it just sits taking up space in my garage.

8. flyboy89

flyboy89
    from So. Cal.

Those engines in 600, 700, 800 series Ford trucks had sodium filled exhaust valve stems. Sodium was used to cool the exhaust valves. Not a very good head for hi perf.

9. anteek

anteek

I'd bet on a 391 if it was born with that intake. No 4bbl 361's. Steel crank. If you find a Fred Jones rebuilt tag on it,no telling what you find inside. Back when those trucks were new I had several trucks with them. Great until you bought a ford fred Jones rebuilt. Might have 3 bore sizes,.040 or .060 cranks,parts mismatched, untorqued bearings. once we got 5 longblocks before one good enough to crank..........Ford paid labor everytime. Fred Jones,rebuilt in Oklahoma city by drunk Indians exacting there revenge.

10. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

hey i resemble that remark.:eek:

11. jipp

jipp

i asked this before but do not recall a answer.. so seem some ford guys here.. i have a 351C are the parts with a 351 windsore interchangeable? from what i think i read, the heads are only difference between the C and the W engines probably more to it than that, nothing is so simple in my life? also, this engine was converted to propane in the early 70 what would one have to do to convert it back to gas? just switch carbs out? or would i need a different intake manifold too? i know jack about this engine . propane must of been cheap in 70.. I read propane is suppose to make for a clean engine.. so assuming the engine is good.. some fresh gaskets new fluids, belts etc.. and could be up and running.. the car it sits in came with the land.. the car got put out to the pasture cause of the gas crises.. i can only guess the 351C was a gas hog. if you have a webpage explaining the two engines that would be great.. i tried google and just got lost in the flood of info.. this engine is in a racnhero iv already yanked the 9" for my project come winter.
    chris.

12. Relic Stew

Relic Stew
    from Wisconsin

The engines are a completely different design. None of the internal parts and few external parts will interchange.

Engine mounts will swap over. The crank flange is the same, same external balance, so flywheel/flexplate are interchangeable. Same bell housing bolt pattern.

13. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

What Relic said. And are you sure it's a 351C and not the similar 351M? Ford wasn't making it easy for parts men in those days.

14. smokey3550

smokey3550
    from texas

Yea could be a 351c or 351/400m, they both have the same style heads and valve covers. I've converted a couple propane motors back to gas. The propane burns clean, no carbon in the heads or on the pistons. The motors I did were like new inside.