Register now to get rid of these ads!

Trying to fit an inline 292 into a '29 ford

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Eastpunk, Aug 7, 2011.

1. Eastpunk

Eastpunk

Ok- I'm on the tail end of building my inline 292, and I'm at a point where I need to start thinking about getting a chassis put together for my '29 ford.

Can anyone tell me what kind of clearance issues i will be messing with?

Specifically- the block looks pretty long, and I'm worried about pushing the bell back into things or having to move the transmission mount back... Of course I could always move the mounts forward if there is enough room left for the fan/trans cooler?

Anyhoo- I know there are peeps here who have wedged 292's into places where they shouldn't go! What am I getting myself into?

Any insight would be helpful, thanks!

2. Normbc9

Normbc9

I have two 292 Chevy's in '31 and a '32 Chevy sedan and they fit right in. I did use a later running gear. I still have a Model A and it has a Ford 300 six in it. With some planning and after market motor mounts it will go in. You shouldn't have to do any firewall cutting. But you may have to eliminate the fan and go to an electric 10 inch fan (either pushing or blowing) with a thermostat to help cool this thing. You will need to get a later 3 or 4 tube radiator too.
    Normbc9

3. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I had a 270 GMC in a 32 Ford coupe. Really cut down on the foot room. Don't think I would do that again.

4. RobsHemiA

RobsHemiA
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have a 292 going into my 'A' pickup . My car is pretty low and I have shortened it to get the proportions right , and I can confirm what Rich said . Foot room in a low car is a problem , and the bellhousing is right in the cab . But hot rods dont have to be comfortable . If your not going to do a big channel you could make it work ok . Just take your time setting it up and you'll be fine .

5. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

Here's a thought -- If you're putting it on A rails, channeled or not, move the body back the distance you need, 3 or 4 inches, and take that amount out of the section between the door and the wheelwell. Lengthen the hood as needed. The back seat is pretty useless if channeled, with the front seats moved back. This would give a real distinctive, kinda Victoria look and have a lot of people scratching their heads. Maybe someone on here could Photoshop this idea.

6. aaggie

aaggie

If you are making your own frame just add the needed length between the firewall and front crossmember. You will need to make a longer hood if you run one.

7. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I remember a guy added 2 inches to the length of his '32 and used a Plymouth hood. Don't know how much work was involved. But we are talking '50s here. Finding a 32 Plymouth hood may not be all that easy.