Register now to get rid of these ads!

Under Bed Gas tank 1964 C20 Fleetside

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Sick64, Aug 5, 2011.

1. Sick64

Sick64

My apologies if this is something that has been posted before. I am going to be manufacturing a fuel tank to be mounted under the bed between the rails behind the rear end. I know many think this is not as safe as keeping it in the cab but I myself would prefer it elsewhere. What I am hoping is someone has done this before and maybe has the measurements of this area. Also, I am going to have airbags so the body sits on the ground so the tank cannot hang too low. Does anyone have some dimensions they will share? It could be 10 gallons if thats what it takes to achieve this goal.

Thank You in advance!!

2. ripsrides

ripsrides

check out one from chevy van think might fit i used one on 1968 chevy truck worked great

3. squirrel

squirrel

try a suburban tank, pretty much a bolt in, except the filler neck will need some work.

4. Sick64

Sick64

I goal is to fabricate one. I know its more work than just buying one and putting it in but this whole project has been about custom fabrication. Maybe I can get the dimensions from one of these Vans or Suburban? Any years guys?

Thanks

5. squirrel

squirrel

Hmmmm....seems to me if you're making it, then you just measure the hole it has to fit in, and make it to fit. If there are some frame crossmembers in the way, you might want to move them, so the tank can fit up inside the frame.

here's a pic of a 86 suburban tank and crossmembers put into a 57 1 ton truck frame.

[​IMG]

this is a 40 gallon tank, if you made one that's 15-20 gallon it would not hang down so far.

6. Sick64

Sick64

You are right about measuring the hole. The project is at my brothers place and to get over there to get the measurements is a hassle. Just thought I would ask here.

This tank would be ideal! I will see if I can locate the measurements form this tank and just fabricate it to be half the depth! I wonder what the difference is between both frames.. I will keep you posted!

7. FlamedChevy

FlamedChevy

I have seen 65 mustang tanks in pick ups. Filler neck will need to be modified.

8. FlamedChevy

FlamedChevy

Better measure you frame like Squirrel suggested.

9. Sick64

Sick64

Absolutely I will measure it first. Right now I am just throwing some ideas together.

35" x 28 3/4" x 13 1/8" is what I found for a 40gallon 86-91 Suburban.

Maybe I can hack this one in half if the measuements work out.

http://www.classicindustries.com/truck/parts/gm25c.html

10. squirrel

squirrel

You probably want to make it shorter, since the 64 has a panhard bar in the way....but the width sounds right, the frame is 34" at the outside. But also keep in mind the 64 has coil springs, and the frame juts out to the sides when it goes over the axle, so it won't look like the 57.

11. Delmo

Delmo
    from Burbank

Blazer tank. Brothers sells them. I mounted mine on top of the frame. Worked perfect.

12. Sick64

Sick64

What year Blazer?

13. RichtersRodz

RichtersRodz

Many, many years ago... I got a tank from JC Whitney. It was for a blazer, or suburb,
    can't remember which.. It was too big, so we cut it, and welded a flat panel on
    it with a torch and coat hanger. I'll be headed out to my place today where the truck is kept, and I'll see if I can get a picture of it. I just left the next sticking up out of the
    bed, since my wood was rotted out anyways. We also had to weld in a fitting
    on the bottom, to hook up the fuel line..

14. RichtersRodz

RichtersRodz

That would be "neck" sticking up.. and it was about 20+ years ago, when you couldn't
    find the fancy ones that they sell now, and all that was on the market for fuel cells were
    the bright, plastic orange ones..

15. Sick64

Sick64

That would be awesone RichtersRodz!

16. RichtersRodz

RichtersRodz

Okay... I will warn you.. this is thing was built for function, not for looks
    and it is really fugly. But, at the time, I barely had money for the tank,
    being young and just out of high school, and the rest of it was all free
    friend labor and free scrap parts from other vehicles. There was so much
    stuff buried around the truck in the barn, that these were the best pictures
    that I could get for now. You can see that the flat welded part, is up next
    to the rear end. We also coated it with a spray on rubber coating. Hope
    this helps, but the previous tank posted, looks way better than mine.

Attached Files:

17. fortynut

fortynut

The Old School Fabricator way of making double-damn sure a proposed tank will fit in a hole is to take exacting measurements of the proposed location and then mock your tank up out of cardboard (using tape). This way any problems can be corrected without the embarrassment of having to botch up an otherwise well-made piece. AND, for traditional pickup use, I suggest that you have the filler neck outside the bed. This makes it a utilitarian vehicle instead of a street rod. On the other hand, there was a recent article in a well known magazine devoted to classic trucks that explained in depth how to retrofit a blazer gas tank to a '57 Chevy Pickup. I've owned a '65 stepside and can't remember if the trailing link suspension would interfere with this same application. Maybe others on the HAMB know more about the specifics. The problem with a really big tank that hangs down should be obvious. AND, with trailing link suspension the weight of the fuel at the rear will adversely effect handling because you are loading the springs. Of course, this can be a good thing if you need the weight.

18. derbydad276

derbydad276

back in the early 80's I was building a 67 chevy pickup to run cross country with and wanted to be able to run without stoping for gas all the time with the cab mounted tank I scrounged a blazer tank at a junk yard that was made to go in the frame rails I was also able to get the filler neck and filler neck cover for the inside of the bed when I was done it looked factory I ran 5/16 steel tube for a gas line to a t valve and even was able to wire in the fuel sending unit on a 3 way switch Im pretty sure all parts are avlible through one of the classic truck parts houses

good luck with your build

19. C10Barnfind

C10Barnfind

There is also several companies out there that make an fabbed aluminum or stainless tank. Here is one I used for my 66. Sean
    [​IMG]

20. Sick64

Sick64

Sean.. I see your frame is "Bolt-in" c-notched and you have the rear tank. Based on that configuration, how low would your truck body sit and how much clearance does your tank have from the deck?

21. C10Barnfind

C10Barnfind

The wood bed was about 2 inches above tank. I choose to have filler in the bed but, they also make one with a side fill. This is the finished truck with a static drop only. Sean
    [​IMG][​IMG]

22. Sick64

Sick64

Forgive my ignorance, What is meant by "Static Drop"?

23. C10Barnfind

C10Barnfind

The ride is not adjustable (air bags or hydraulics). It was lowered with drop spindles - drop coils in the front and drop coils - blocks in the rear. Sean

24. Sick64

Sick64

Can anyone tell me how low the front and back will sit with factory front end and no c-notch? I am considering air bags but not sure i want to cut the bed or frame.