Register now to get rid of these ads!

I hate snakes!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gnichols, Aug 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Re: I hate snakes! :)

Attached Files:

2. BigNick1959

BigNick1959

440 Dave are you shittin' me! Scorpions AND Black Widows!!:eek: I'll take the snakes! And you guys living down south and in Australia, Good Luck! I'll stay in Wisconsin. Creepy!!!

3. xlr8er

xlr8er

I live in a very rocky area out in the sticks. There are mainly two different snakes here - black snakes and copperheads. Black snakes get BIG and fat and look scary but are not venemous. The copperheads could kill you. An old farmer once told me if I see a black snake, there will be no copperheads. The black snakes dominate over them and they will move on - too much competition for the food source. I've killed 3 copperheads over the past year and whenever I see a black snake, I say hello and tell him to have a nice day. Don't get me wrong, I'm no fan of snakes but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to know which one to leave alone and which one to terminate!

Due to the snake population here, mice are at a minimum!! The interior of my cars are relativetly safe!!

4. Deuces

Deuces

Needs to be BIGGER!! ;)

5. Deuces

Deuces

.......hehehehe! :D

6. I picked up a board that I had in a stack in my yard a couple of weeks ago. A 3 ft logn garter snake came rolling out of the stack right down on my foot.

I looked at the wife and said "Man I'm glad that wasn't a copper head." She just laughed.

I don't hate snakes I have garter snakes and black snakes on the property but I don't have rats. I do hate being bit, hurts like hell and some snakes will make you real sick.

7. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

I like snakes. The little amount I know about them keeps me from getting too close to the few that could hurt me.

I'll take snakes over spiders, although they don't bother me much either, and scorpions (hate the shit out of those) or even ants any day.

8. brad chevy

brad chevy

Lived in Florida all my life and learned early in life to always to watch out for snakes.We do have 2 snakes here that need to be left alone,they feed mostly on other snakes.The king snake and bull snake.Don"t matter how big a man you are if you get surprised by a snake the adrenalin goes skyhigh. Old man told me years ago the best way to keep snakes out of your stuff was garlic and it does work.I would rather catch a 8ft gator than mess with a 4ft water moscasin.

9. 53choptop

53choptop

Attached Files:

10. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wow, some of y'all got issues. WTF would happen if there was a clown snake!?! I leave em be. They eat things I don't want in my house. I have several garter snakes of different sizes, the occaisional Eastern Hognose, and once there was a "Something Fox Snake" ("something" cuz I don't remember!). The neighbor killed the fox snake which pissed me off after the fact since I found out they were quite rare and endangered. Fucker. Sissy. They're not poisonous here in MI except those northern rattler types, and none of ours are deadly. Spiders? Well, same thing. I don't like em in the house and I don't like my work area infested, but beyond that I leave them be as well. They got a job to do...EAT OTHER BUGS.

In all fairness I don't now what I'd do in an area known for scorpions or black widows, or for poisonous snakes. Maybe the same with some extra caution. Then again I ain't as afraid of them as they are of me, same with bears, wolves, or badgers. I keep missing my bear encounters up north by just a short time. Damn...

11. You guys are way too funny I just about pissed my pants laughin. There was a blurb on the tv the other day where this woman was driving along & the snake came out from under her car hood & was crawling around on the windshield. She didn't stop driving & I think it just feel off.
    I was fishing out of Porterville Cal one time & there was a crowd gathering by a gutter leading to the dam. I mosey over to see what the attraction was & there is a king snake with a rattler about 2/3rds eaten.
    I was having coffee on the back patio the other day & a gopher pops up so I shot it & set it on a fence post figuring a hawk would get it or a magpie. The next morning while having coffee a king snake comes slithering across the yard. I looked over to the fence post & the gopher was still there so I grabed it & threw it in front of the snake. It sniffed it & grabbed it in it's mouth & slithered in the grass where it ate it. I expected to see it again the next morning but it hasn't shown up so far. Good snakes are OK just move em on. Seems I read somewhere about telling good snakes from bad by color & the pupil in their eye. C R S as I don't remember where I read that. Maybe google will help us out here.

12. Highlander clowns still scare the hell out of me. :eek:

13. traffic61

traffic61
    from Owasso, OK

The 10 or 11 year old, can't remember which, son of a friend was bitten by a copper head recently. That was harsh for the little guy. But he has bounced back rather well. Youth does have its advantages.

I don't really have a problem with non-poisonous snakes, but they still make me jump. I would problably do more damage to myself reacting to the snake than they could do to me.

14. big M

big M

Poisonous snakes I can do without, a pistol with birdshot makes quick work of them.

Non-Poisonous snakes, on the other hand, are welcome, most are King and gopher snakes here that go after rodents and other small vermin, which I have little use for.

---John

15. I don't mind the non-poisonous snakes, mostly king snakes and gopher snakes, where I live. Sometimes they startle me but often I will pick them up for a while before I send them on their way. On the other hand I hate poisonous snakes. Must be some kind of "fight or flight" reaction that makes me respond with extreme aggression.

Ran into a rattler while hiking through the brush a few years ago. We had a close enough encounter that I can tell you the inside of a rattler's mouth is white! I was fine until I got back to my truck. I tried to put the key in the ignition but my hands were shaking so bad I couldn't get it in the hole.

Last year I saw a big old snake laying in the road. I drove around him but as I went by I saw that he was a rattler about 5' long and about 4" in diameter in the middle. I decided to turn around and run his ass over. When I drove over him (F-150 4x4) it felt like I had run over a tree branch. I figured that must have fixed his wagon! Then I got the bright idea to go back, grab him, throw him in the back of the truck and take him home to skin him. As I approached the snake on foot, expecting to see him in his final death throes I saw instead a snake that appeared to be completely unharmed, but plenty pissed. That sucker started crawling towards me pretty fast and I kept backing up. The SOB was chasing me! He was gaining so I turned and ran away like a school girl. Took me a while to get my heart rate back to normal.

I definitely wouldn't want to run into one in the close quarters of an old car.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2011
  16. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

My buddy from my old house...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

He took care of the rodents. I made sure I watched out for him, even stopped a neighbor headed into my yard to kill him...
    [​IMG]

17. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

In the 70's and 80's, the millionaires were buying up land parcels up on every "Gobbler's Knob" around the Valley for weekend homes, many on the rocky eastern side that gets the afternoon sun, and the buzztail population up in there is pretty healthy. I cut in a lot of new roads, custom house pads, vineyards and wineries in those days, and ripping for vineyard, D6-D7-D8, and especially the first few days, you didn't poke around on foot where you didn't have to- the buzzers don't seem to like the commotion and the screeching CAT tracks and thin out a bit after a while. A few interesting places like Robert Mondavi's house ("Wappo Hill") and winery, Beringer, Franciscan, Stag's Leap, Acacia, Shafer, Pine Ridge, Steltzner, you name it, I probably moved rocks for it. Worst one I ever did for snakes was up on Pritchard Hill, a road and house site for the guy who invented split-screen TV- so his budget was pretty good. There was a vineyard across the road that had been put in about 15 yrs before, and there was an enormous pile of rocks from the ripping, about 30' wide, 15' high, and 200' long that was right in his sight line :mad: so he made arrangements with the vineyard owners to let us "disappear" the rocks in a little canyon on his side. Some of those rocks were taller than the roll cage on the D8, and I either had to roll them or get the D7 to help push- so it took a while. After 15 yrs, the local buzztails had made an apartment complex out of that rockpile, musta been at least 500 of them in there, bust out a few rocks, snakes going everywhere, once in a while one would "ride" up with the tracks, and you didn't stop and get off anywhere close to the pile. Had an old serious juicer guy with me, WWII vet that learned to run CAT building airstrips on the Pacific islands, and in addition to juicing pretty heavily, "Drunk Don" was blind in one eye, and the other wasn't too good, and he was deathly afraid of snakes- wouldn't even get off the CAT to eat his lunch. So one night, one of those big suckers crawled up in the bellypan of the D7 to get warm:p, as those big engines can stay warm all night in the summer. 'Ol Don fires up in the morning, and about his 4th push, that sucker crawled up through the brake pedal slot in the floorboard and went right across his foot :eek:- and 'ol Don flew through the air with the greatest of ease- I mean he was walkin' on air and turning it blue at the same time, and jumped up in the back of my pickup. Stayed there the rest of the day, too, and refused to go back the next day

18. Saxman,
    I hesitate to tell you this but in most snakes running over them won't kill them. You have to lock up your brakes when you hit them. The way that are built they can hold up quite a bit if weight you probably just rolled him when you ran him over.

It is pretty rare that he chased you. Rattlers usually stay and fight but they don't usually go after you.

The black mamba is the only snake in the world recognized for hunting or stalking humans. We had one following us in the bush when I lived in the rain forest once. You could hear it and every once in a while its head would poke out and take a look. They have a nasty bite not a good thing to have following you.

Gene,
    That's pretty damned funny friend.

I knew a guy in the early '70s when I live out of the country that was so afraid of snakes he wouldn't even touch a snake skin wallet. Were we were camping out ther where boas, and boas are funny creatures. They don't do anything but eat and sleep. They crawl along and eat something then the crawl up in a tree and go to sleep while it is digesting. Well when it is about digested they sometimes will relax and just fall out of the tree.

Anyway long story short we were walking out in the bush and this boa (about 6 ft or so) woke up and fell right out of the tree. Right on top of this fella that I knew. He jumped right out of his skin. Off he goes running down through the bush all the way back to where we were camping. I found him hunkered down in a bunker curled up in a ball and mumbling something about snakes and why couldn't it be possums instead of snakes.I laughed until I cried.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2011
  19. 117harv

117harv

I like snakes and pick them up all the time, well atleast the ones that don't make noise:cool: I have severall lizards in my back yard that are kind of pets, i watch them chase and eat bugs...and sunbathe.

On a side note one of my favorite pastimes was walking aroung the house with a cigarette lighter and a can of wd-40, you know a makeshift flame thrower and killing black widows. The new wd-40 as well as most carb cleaner won't even light now:confused: WTH, i still have a size 13:D

This happened a few years ago on a hot summer night. In bed i felt something crawl across my foot so i shook it off and didn't get up to see what it was. About three or so minutes went by and i decided i had better get up and see what it was...a HUGE black widow walking across the covers heading for my arm:eek:....new attitude, see above paragraph.

20. WTF is a clown snake? Man, that can't be good! Just the visual scares the hell out of me.

21. foolthrottle

foolthrottle

I've always said it takes a real man to kill a rattler with a 12 gauge from 15 feet away, which is about as close as I want to get. On the ranch as a kid people would ask, have you ever eaten a rattle snake? sure, then they ask what does it taste like? chicken? to me it tastes like Iguana.

22. asparkoflife75

asparkoflife75
    from Tacoma, Wa

The good ole American way. If it scares us and and we don't understand it...Kill it! Every snake does way more good than harm for all of us. An unfortunate common mind set. Too bad most people are taught early on to hate them.

23. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Funny hats. Big shoes. Gary

24. yule16met

yule16met
    from Hudson, WI

Never pick up a dead rattler, They can still kill you.

I live in Wisconsin for a reason!
    I can go bearfoot all over this state and nothing will hurt me! I have been a soldier for 8 years, I have been all around the south because the Army loves building bases on crappy land. I have been bitten by Brown recluse and black widows. I HATE SPIDERS. I have seen lots of snakes in training, there lucky we dont carry ammo!!! I did see one of my soldiers kill a racoon with a blank round and a cleaning rod last month... that might be to slow to load to kill a snake.

Now bears I like, you would have to be very lucky to see one with cubs so they are just big cuddly things. The wolf population is going back down to were it belongs, they kill all our deer and hunters dont like that.

25. cowboy.3d

cowboy.3d
    from Austin TX

I hate snakes, and just moved to Austin...

26. carbon guy

carbon guy
    from indy

I hate snake so bad I counld'nt read more than the first page, I was gettin scared:eek:

27. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

I don't trust snakes, he could be wearing those fake contacts trying to fool ya. Then BAM! :D

28. 39 All Ford

39 All Ford
    from Benton AR

That one made me laugh...

Thanks man!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.