Register now to get rid of these ads!

NINE LAYERS of old paint on my project!! and I'm trying to strip it...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Buzznut, Aug 2, 2011.

1. Buzznut

Buzznut

Apparently the cab to my pickup has NEVER been stripped to repaint, just sprayed over again and again. I have the original primer, yellow, teal, white brown, light blue, grey and teal again...twice I think because it looks like two different shades. I was originally going to DA the cab, but the dust is plentiful and getting on everything. Now I'm doing the Aircraft Remover routine and with how thick the old paint is it's taking me THREE applications in a few spots. Anyone else have this experience? Is there a better way to strip it?

2. Master of None

Master of None

Lately I've been taking my projects to get soda blasted. It doesn't remove rust, but it also doesn't warp panels or etch glass or chrome. Saves a ton of time and shows right where previous body work has been done.

3. HOTRODKID91

HOTRODKID91

Scuff the hell out of the surface of the paint and don't be afraid to put the paint stripper on thick and it should start to lift

4. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Welcome to the world of old cars. Now repeat after me, this is fun, this is fun. LOL. Lippy:D

5. Tony

Tony

As crazy, and simple as this sounds, i've used those small razor blades to scrape heavily layered paint off.
    The type used when scraping stickers and stuff from glass.
    They are only like 2" wide so it still take a bit of time, but it works and works good once you get it to cut under some layers. The paint will actually flake off in little slivers once you get it going.
    It won't normally take it down to tin, but that's not a bad thing. They can gouge if they get burred.
    The last couple you can strip off with chemicals, or a D/A.

I know it works 'cause i've HAD to do it on 3 of my own cars that had at least 8-9 layers of old paint on em.

Tony

6. I've seen numerous old military Land Rover trucks with 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick paint on them. The Army didn't strip them and just brushed new paint on as needed. It would take a few applictions to strip it all.

7. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I showed this another thread here lately and I'll post it here too... 3M coating removal discs with a velcro backing, the right pad for your grinder and A LOT less time than Aircraft stripper! The decklid shown took about 15 minutes to do, and had several coats of paint and primer. Unfortunately, when I got it completely stripped, it had some pretty gnarly rust issues (fiberglass patches even!) and the owner decided to replace it instead.

I use a standard Dewalt 4 1/2" grinder, and the 3M # are 3005-9020 for the pads (figure about 3 for an average truck cab) and 3005 0978 for the backing disc.

Attached Files:

8. Salty

Salty
    from Florida

they make large grinder (9") hook and loop 3M strip disks....kinda pricey at 15 or so bucks each ($30 with the backer) BUT I stripped my truck (6 layers) with a quickness.....worked great, didnt harm the metal underneath.....

Edit....dang I need to refresh fore I put my 2 cents in......what the guy above me said.

9. Buzznut

Buzznut

What are you guys using as a power tool? Air or electric? What brand? I've been using my Mac DA on a 60 gallon tank compressor and find that I have to wait for the cycling every 4 to 5 minutes or so...drives me NUTS! Is there a good electric DA that has torque at a decent price?

10. burl

burl
    from Minnesota

Been using the black stripit disk on one of my air die grinders but i agree it takes lots of air.Just ordered some 4 1/2 discs from enco tool that fit my electric grinder and hope to try that this weekend.They had both the black and maroon disc in stock.When i ordered them the guy was pushing the maroon disc as he said they were pretty aggresive compared to the black.Claimed they would strip paint pretty quick.We will see.

11. wildearp

wildearp
    from tucson, az

I used 3M bristle discs to strip my truck. The Brown is the most coarse and gets it done. These discs are not cheap ($23 each), but they really work fast. They operate best at high rpm and take very little pressure to strip. I would estimate that I stripped my entire truck with 6 of them. Here is a link to the product: http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/...S4K7_nid=89PRCPCV9CgsRJ5GMFSMV0glVFKJ3RGD8Jbl

[​IMG]

Here is the quality of work they do:

[​IMG]

The hardest layer is always the factory original primer. Much of this old paint contains lead, so wear a tight sealing face filter or respirator. Paper filters are not enough. I didn't want to haul my truck to the blaster and I needed it stripped fast. I found these discs at a local abrasives store by accident. They hadn't even considered that they would be used to strip a vehicle.

These discs are available in many different sizes and arbors. I used the 5/8" arbor on a rigid 4 1/2" electric grinder. They do make the discs for an 8", but those big grinders are fricking heavy.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2011
  12. G. Anderson

G. Anderson
    from MN.usa

3M also makes a purple stripper disc, lasts about 3 times longer than the black ones.

IF you can find them they are WAAAAy better.......

Your Pal, Gary

13. G. Anderson

G. Anderson
    from MN.usa

8" 80 grit green 3M sanding discs work well on a speed adjustable buffer.

Your Pal, Gary

14. I use these purple 3m strip discs.
    Cut paint off like a hot knife through butter, also remove rust, and dont warp your panels.
    I use them with my electric grinder.

Attached Files:

15. stainlesssteelrat

stainlesssteelrat
    from ms

paint over it. quickest way i know.

16. Buzznut

Buzznut

I have use the purple #M discs and like how they work, but catch an edge on a frame and you tear them apart or catch an edge on sheetmetal and you're fabricating a new edge. I like the bristle discs...never have used the brown ones, only the yellow. I'll have t try a brown one...

17. T McG

T McG
    from Phoenix

Be careful with the bristle discs they get the metal hot in a hurry

18. budd

budd

i second using the razor blades as a first step, no noise, no dust, all falls on the floor to be swept up.

19. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

At least you can use stripper. I had a Vette that had 5 layers of paint including pimp purple. I had to DA the car and it took a week.

20. I forgot to mention that. :)
    Sure is a quick way to destroy them.

21. Three Widow's Garage

Three Widow's Garage

I've been wondering how well using aircraft striper followed with a preasure washer
    might work, the preasure washer I have seams to peel paint on its own when you dont want it to. I imagine you would want to wear protective clothing and what not
    as it would most likely make a big mess. Anyone ever try this?

22. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Ive got a project that has some really thick paint on it, and have been told to try the razor blade idea, I havent gotten around to it yet, but thats what im going to try.

23. Buzznut

Buzznut

Ironic....today I ran into a buddy who has been a top notch auto painter for decades and he suggested the razor blade idea as well...without me even mentioning it. There must be something to it, so I'm going to give it a try.

24. Tony

Tony

I promis you, i wouldn't have mentioned it if it didn't work :)

25. After you apply the aircraft stripper, cover it with plastic wrap, this will keep it wetter longer and it will be much more effective.

Another way, although potentially deadly, find an old toaster over and use the heating elements (radiant heat) to soften the paint and scrape it off.

26. Buzznut

Buzznut

I have one of those long handled floor scrapers that you can swap new blades into as needed and I'm going to try it this weekend...

27. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Cool! I was aware the purple discs were available, but I have never tried them. Thanks for the recomendation. I will try them next order.

I saw somewhere on the next page where someone said to make sure not to catch these discs on an edge, and they are right. However, the magic of these discs is the velcro backing that supports the disc 360 degrees. if you use the ones that are made to fit on an arbor on a drill motor, take them off before you start and throw them away, 'cause for this use they are almost completely worthless and you'll make yourself nuts trying to use them. I use this system every day to strip hoods for louvering, and after twenty years of experimanting, this is the best I have found.Moving quickly with these, you can take individule layers of paint off if you need too, and it doesn't heat the metal.

I did have one car a few years ago that the razor blade stripping method worked really well on. I got a bunch friends together, bought beer and steaks, and we had a '59 El Camino stripped in a few hours. You'll know how well it works or not VERY quickly. I also would recommend that you make sure to wear gloves, 'cause those long paint chips hurt like hell wedged between your finger nails and fingers...

28. Buzznut

Buzznut

Good tip, I wouldn't have thought of that until it was too late.

29. filthy frank

filthy frank

thats a real good one ! take the primer the paint , and all of the reducers and hardners , and wheigh it , times 9 ! i wouldnt want all that crap on my car !

30. nxpress62

nxpress62
    from Kansas

I know a guy that would throw an absolute baby fit if he knew you went anywhere near a fiberglass 'vette with a da..