Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Any one know anything about the 1950's race tracks in Alton & Terre Haute

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by michaelposey, Jun 16, 2011.

1. michaelposey

michaelposey

I just found a box of old trophies without name plates from the 50's & 60's from Alton Dragway and Terre Haute. Any one familiar with these places that might be able to tell me anything?
    Thanks,
    Cheryl

2. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

TerreHaute is still up and running. 1/8 mile track with a regular program each saturday. It's now called Crossroads Dragway.

3. oldskooloutlaw

oldskooloutlaw
    from Tulsa

I grew up less than a mile from Alton dragway and spent many nites watching and a few nites racing there in the 60s and early 70s. It's sad to say but it was shut down and mobile homes now sitting on both sides of the track, the old tower is still there as well now used for a storage building. I have a few pix that I found online.

4. route66er

route66er

Alton Dragway was on the circuit for all the top names in racing. Karamezines was the first to do 200 in the quarter and he did it at Alton. If you would be interested in selling any of the Alton trophies, please let me know.

5. EVANS and 3 97s

EVANS and 3 97s

I was tech man at ALTON 61 to 69. It was a great place and time for drag racing. We were on the GOLD agency tour for all big name match racers, and traveling GASSER,Fuel Altered,Funny Car, Fuelers,UDRA. Just about every top racer of the time was there at one time or other. Our local racers were on par with any other track. Our Top Fuel weekly show often had10 or more cars,and extra money brought many more. I know other tracks had good racing too,but Alton was one of the good ones.