Register now to get rid of these ads!

1951 Merc. overdrive issue, need help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JJAGS3, Mar 30, 2011.

1. JJAGS3

JJAGS3

My overdrive does not function properly on my 51 Merc. I know the solenoid is good and a new kickdown switch was installed. The relay looks OK, fuse not blown, and the only thing I've not tested is the governor. I'll go after that when my surgery heals. My question: I've seen a number of comments about hooking up a switch to kick in the overdrive manually. Easily done. I've also seen warnings about tearing up reverse gear if the overdrive is not deactivated when you slow down to about 23 mph or so.

Does that mean I need to be manually switching the OD on and off constantly, according to my speed? I'd rather do without the OD than take a chance in wreaking my trans. Any comments or suggestions? Thanks

2. Send a PM to slddnmatt. He has a schematic of the wireing set up.

3. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

JJags3,
    If you put in a switch, you won't have to switch it on and off constantly, but you'll have to turn it off to use reverse. With the OD constantly on, starting from a stop in OD 1st is like starting in regular 2nd gear, so you'll probably prefer it to be turned off at stop signs.

Instead of installing a switch, most OD problems are pretty easy to fix. I had a tricky problem where the OD wouldn't engage at night when the headlights were on. Turned out that the feed wire (from the ignition coil) was too small a gauge and so the line suffered enough voltage drop to prevent the solenoid from engaging. Upgraded the wire and the problem was solved.

4. JJAGS3

JJAGS3

How would you bench test a governor?

5. Tiffany

Tiffany
    from seabrook

i jhave hooked up my merc od to a toggle and i hear it clicking but when i drive it wont go into od.. whats up????
    [email protected]