Register now to get rid of these ads!

My find of a lifetime...rust free '32 5 window!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by thequietwon, Jul 31, 2011.

1. AstroZombie

AstroZombie

My thoughts exactly!!!

Damn good luck you have man, you should play the lottery. :D

2. bubba67

bubba67
    from NJ

Very cool find, congrats !

3. bonesy

bonesy

.........perfect..........

4. clubcoupe37

clubcoupe37

that is an awesome find!!

5. thequietwon

thequietwon

As requested...dash pics

Attached Files:

6. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

There's a similar story of a '32 coupe find in the latest issue of Hot Rod Deluxe. Must be something in the air........except where I am!

7. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Nice sound (almost running) car? "GET RID OF THE SBC"?????

Let's just look at this for a minute. 265, 283 Chev. Good H.P., dependable as a Willys Jeep. Chevy bolts in with NO CUTTING, and more room than the flathead had!
    Chevy will not kill innocent Ford tranny or rear; just make sure bearings are decent, and lubricant is replaced. (and drive it like you own it: be responsibile, break it and it will be on your dime.)
    USE the Chevy. Don't have to covet it, don't have to love it. Mostly, DON'T put that damned bowtie flag on the quarter windows!
    If a flathead is in its future, it'll fit again. But make it a flathead worth installing. Not just any old smoker with screaming con rod bearings, "just because it's a flathead".
    I use small Chevies...the gods of hot roddom made me a gift of this availability.
    They bolt in. Only the headpipes are different! (and they even used to make a 6 volt starter! Not that I'd ever go THAT route... 6 volt...LOL)

8. thequietwon

thequietwon

I tinkered with her when I got in this evening...took off the vent windows, front bumper, antenna, & put on some 16" rollers. Trivial stuff I know, but I think it looks a little better. The windshield was cut into a 2 piece when the divider was installed, so I'll have to get replacement glass before I can take it off. l am still deciding on fenders or no fenders...I am open to thoughts on this. I really prefer fenderless, but the fenders are growing on me. Either way, it will be lowered a good bit.
    I am keeping the early Ford tranny & banjo & have everyone I can think of looking for the nec. adaptors for the sbc. I posted a wanted ad here as well for them, as well as for an original headlight bar that's been dropped. I really want this car to keep the feel that it has, and want to keep it as period as I possibly can. I really appreciate all the comments & suggestions and am open to all opinions...
    Sam

Attached Files:

9. thequietwon

thequietwon

This car is perfect...I really appreciate the encouragement!!
    Sam

10. bardahl1

bardahl1

Just makin a case for the SBC crowd.

BTW I felt sorta bad for not congratulating you on the score, very nice car and so close to being on the road.

I got a 5w too..... w a flathead!

Attached Files:

11. 32Gnu

32Gnu

Congrats!!!

Car has some great touches.... Deserves the sbc on this one for sure...... I love to see them come out...

12. As an Iowan, I hate you. :p

13. wetatt4u

wetatt4u

WOW

Very nice indeed !

I just love it just as it is.....

BEAUTIFUL ................

14. WHAT?!! Not ANOTHER 32 score!!:eek:

Since we're practically neighbors;), can I come over and wash it for you?
    Drive it when you're too busy? Change the air in the tires?

Daaaaang, you're a blessed man:cool:

15. jonnycola

jonnycola

Nice find. I called on it when it was on Craigslist that sunday morning. I'm glad someone on here got it... and for 13,000 it was a steal!

16. donut29

donut29
    from canton MI

WOW that is great

How many times did you look in the rear view and just smile a giggle a little on your way home?:D:D:D

17. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

man that rules..

18. dirtbag13

dirtbag13

i hope your joking i'm gonna puke !

19. wkends

wkends
    from Kentucky

Great find. Now tell me you don't go out in your garage and just grin a little.

20. Congrats! Gives me new found hope.

21. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Oh god, I'll have that in patch panels. I second the barfing on that price.

22. dirtbag13

dirtbag13

i need the story on this car ! i have a hard time believing this thing hasnt seen the light of day in years and locals just forgot about it no one ever asked about it and this guy just decides to pull it out and put it on craigslist for 13k if thats what i'm gathering here ? come on man inquiring minds need to know ! set the story straight and let us in on this the suspense is killing me

23. matt 3083

matt 3083
    from Tucson, Az

Congratulations. I envy your amazing luck.
    That critter really is rust free. Amazing.
    Best wishes. I vote 265/283. In '58 that
    was the goal.
    Matt

24. Iowa! Iowa! Is it Bud Cranes car?

25. thequietwon

thequietwon

The story...
    I found the car on Boise, Idaho's craigslist. It was listed by the owners son. The car had been in dry storage at the owner's brother's house. He passed approx. 2 years ago & they moved the car. At that time, they shopped the car to some local shops who valued the car between 17-23,000. No one attempted to buy the car.
    Fast forward to a couple of weeks ago. This is the story as told to me by one of the sons.The owner is now 83 and realizes that he will probably never get to the car. They decide it is time to sell & again call some local shops & price the car...no one pulls the trigger. The oldest son asks some shops in the Boise area if they are interested. There is interest, but no one wants to drive to Iowa to see it. They post the ad in Boise to generate more interest, pricing the car at 13,000 obo, and plan on bringing the car to the area sometime in August. There was no phone # on the ad.
    The ad is already 2 days old when I see it. I send an email saying that I would buy the car at their price if the car was as described. A couple of days later I get an email with some pics, and instantly respond that I will take the car. The whole process on my end was a little over 2 weeks...hence my apprehension because I really wanted the car. When I picked the car up, I was told that 4 other people had said they would take the car, but only if it was delivered to Idaho. Unbelievable...I would have done whatever was necessary to get a car like this...and did.
    The odds were totally against me on this. But somehow, everything worked out. And I am very thankfull...
    Sam

26. dirtbag13

dirtbag13

wow awesome score on your part ! hard to believe congrats man ! just curious what town or which dirrection 20 miles from waterloo was it ? i love these discoveries and thats truly awesome you got a steel ! looks like your having fun w it already ! look forward to the progress

27. thequietwon

thequietwon

It was close to Dunkerton.

28. Harms Way

Harms Way

Beautiful !,.. Congratulations !!!!!

29. bonesy

bonesy

You must be a good man. That's Hot-Rod-Karma kicking in. There's no way that car should have been for sale that long under those conditions/ pricing. Again, congratulations.

(p.s. 265, 265, 265, 265)