Register now to get rid of these ads!

Derek's 1950 ford coupe shoebox build and introduction

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by El Batidor del mono, May 5, 2011.

1. off to the states tomorrow morning, spent my last day at the harcourt dirt drags down here, redneck motorcycle fun, catch you all in a month for some serious progress.....................
    des

2. I love the states. So many wrecking yards and potential hotrods ad customs lying all over the place. Drove down route 66 after a big two days in Vegas. Now I'm dribkin a beer by the pool in new Orleans rv park. Fuck yeah.

3. Deu55

Deu55

Des stop rubbing it in, enjoy your time, filled up all your bags yet?...Rod

4. The last day before I came over to the u.s. Mat egan was nice enough to give me his old gearbox outta his sweet ass spinner and it's exactly what I needed I denticle to mine and it's still in good working order so all I plan on doin is cleaning it all up inside and making a good one outta two if his requires any parts. Thanks mat I really appreciate it and can't wait to get it done and get the flatty all back in and running. And my biddy Sean Hammond gave me his twin system exhaust off his old flatty which means I don't have to make one which is awesome too. Thanks guys.

5. Back to Australia tonight just waiting for a plane. Can't wait to get back into the spinner and get that roof finished and engine all painted and back in. Got a list of things I wanna buy for it asap. So stay tuned cause Ahron is keen to get it done. He messaged me drunk from motor ex in Sydney telling me to hurry up an get bak so we can finish it cause some dude wants to come and take pics. This is more like some kind of facebook update but it's just a bump to the top so u know that progress is about to happen again and watch if ur interested and shout encouraging words. New whtewalls, paint the wheels black and throw on some spiders and trim from Sean Hammond or the DES caps we'll see. Get some gold for the flatty and finish the carbs and manifold, do the gearbox and get it all back in and sounding tough. Tha ks to home depot today for letting me get a nice all black tool kit to ad to my shit, so cheap but good qaulity. My bag weighs a bit now though. Wait till I upload my custom "Eldorados" chuck taylor converse with a spinner on the other side. Bang.
    Stay tuned

6. hammeredrods

hammeredrods

Ha ha have a good flight dude im flying out on tuesday just gotta get greazefest out of the way first. Lifestyles of the rich and famous eh.

7. toranaback

toranaback

mate , im not takin the piss it is going to be one of the coolest sleds in oz! and thete is always a brew watin for u all up here in brissie.
    mick

8. gassercrazy41

gassercrazy41

great looking car and welcome to the HAMB

9. Deu55

Deu55

Des been waiting for you to come back so we can hear all the story's ,see all your goodies and best of all see more work done...Rod..

10. well, i drank a shit load of beer, ate alot of shit food that was good, drove 3/4 across the country, saw a lot of stuff, saw cars lying aound that would make u wanna cry, bougt some tools, no cool car stuff, but thats what ebays for, just keen to get back into this car, got home and chickens 53 olds 98 is in the shed, thats a pretty cool car, hes goin to leave it here and work on it out here, its too big for his shed at the moment, and were starting back on the roof tomorrow night which is cool, but i think next weekend should see some progress, i am doin some work on the gearbox and flatty this weekend so get that happenin.
    stay tuned.

11. Deu55

Deu55

Any update...

12. ha ha sorry rod, the weekend wasnt as productive as i hope, i got a bit done but this weekend its going to happen i can feel it, ahron and tex are coming to have a crack on the roof with me and get the ball rolling again, im pretty scared chopped is only 7 weeks away, i think it may be a trailer job.

13. just a couple little updates, the flatty is in primer untill i decide exactly what colour gold i want on it, pulled mats gearbox apart, overdrive was gppd, gearbox was shagged so im buyiing a couple gears from vanpelt spares and aking 2 outta 1, cleaning it all up, should be able to get the od working again too, and that is chickens big ass olds 98, i want his hubcaps, they look good polished on the spinner. this weekend i will have some progress for you i really hope. time goins fast and chopped is around the corner.

14. some pics

Attached Files:

15. Deu55

Deu55

7 weeks you will get it done no worries,those caps do look good..Rod

16. Rod ur crazy I'm havin my doubts. I got alot to do but on the other hand I'm pretty motivated and I'll be on it flat out for te next 7 weeks. I ordered a bunch of goodies off the net so that will keep shit happeneing and looking cool.

17. AV88

AV88

hey dude good to hear ya trip was good , if its not done for chopped you still have to get it there i gotta see it in person and meet you properly, 7 weeks, hmmm maybe ????? get in that shed man

18. well, its been a productive weekend with me, ahron and the chicken monster,
    really hapy wih the progress and it looks like a spinner sort of again.
    bassically the pics speak for them selves, spent sat morning at waddingtons shrinking/stretching the roof panel to fit our window frame we fab'd up, that took a lot of work but got it done, ate a kebab, drank a coke then went to mine to weld that baby together, then it was time to fit it up and tack it in and shape and measure it to match the other side, we went back and forth with the port o power and the ol trusty hammer heat and blocks of wood to get everything sqaure and right.
    clamped shit up and welded it together including the panel behind the rear screen.
    did a fair bit of shrinking in the form of spot heating with the oxy and hammer and dolly to get the bulges out of the rear section behind the rear screen and bewteen the boot.
    ahron did some more body filing and beatin on my fuel filler panel, and that man has some skills cause its nearly perfect to me but he says till more, i learn alot from that kid, hes been givin me heaps of info on panel beating and oxy welding, tex couldnt make it so ol des had to step up to the plate more on hammering after welding and vice versa between me ahron and chicky man.
    also rolled up a panel on the english wheel for the roof filler strip and screwed that in and scribed it all in then cut away what sheet metal we didnt need and started tacking that in, at least till we ran out of gas on the oxy set and that was 4 this arvo so seemed like a good time to stop, next sat wel'll finish that off.
    got the drivers door window frame all cut up and tacked in place, a bit of tweaking and itll be right, there be a few little peices to fab up but the roof is gettin very close now, next sat i have ahron and tex all day and then its the club meet piss up, the eldorados, (us) and our mates from melb the cabalerros are coming down for a drink and a shit load of meat, talk cars girls and drink alot. should be good, ahron is goin to be around alot for the next 7 weeks before chopped, to get it nic.
    i should say to anyone that want to see it, things never look as good in real life as pictures, so dont get to big an idea of what it will be like cause i dont wanna dissapoint, nothing bad against my mates or myself cause were doin a good job, but bare in mind this will not be comeplete, it will be close and neat and also slapped tpgether to drive it out there hopefully, so keep that in mind lol, the other bad thing bout a bare steel car is you can see everything, nothing will be hidden under bog and paint,
    you guys understand what im talking about im sure, i just want people to appreciate what a few 20 od year olds are doing for the first time ever,
    cheers all keep watching,
    also the big ass olds 98 coupe is chickens new ride, pretty damn cool car, 303 rocket, pillarless, electric seats and windows, last rego'd in the states n 86, we put a fuel line to a fuel can, changed plugs, new points and got a key cut and he bought a new gear reduction starter from right here in the maine town and that baby purrrrrssssss like a teenaged girl. its goin to pretty cool sitting low on some new rags and cruising with original black and free surface rust. pretty cool.

Attached Files:

19. Welsome back: You guy's are making it look easy. Keep the installments up.

Mark Shearer

20. just realised i didnt take any of the side we actually worked on this weekend but oh well heres the closest one i had more pics will come and heres a couple others just cause i can, you can never have to many photographs

Attached Files:

21. thanks mark, were trying and sorry if im tking up all ahrons time instead of him being there ha ha.

22. Deu55

Deu55

Des you guys are getting it done , looking great to...Rod.

23. mate ill take it there on the trailer if i have to, come say hey, ill be the guy leaning up against a none driving spinner with a sooky face on and a beer in my hand. 7 weeks is pushin it, but i got nuttin else to do, bring it on, challenge excepted chopped show,
    cheers

24. thanks rod, were getting there buddy, full steam ahead, all i wanna do is be able to drag it at chopped, i dont ask for much, fordo wont let the vc do it so i have to take the spinner, or drive the chicken olds

25. Coming along buddy, we will get both the cars out to 'chopped', don't worry.
    Kyle

26. kyle, oh im worried, but thats what late nights are for and making your shed more freindly to hang out in so you wanna stay in there and work. im worried but confident, me you and chicken will all be representing the eldorados with new cars at chopped, cant wait,

27. HeyyCharger

HeyyCharger

Go go go !!

Can't way tot see this ca in the flesh... In particular that wicked chop!

You'll be there, no doubt!

Keep us posted...

HC.

28. Oh mate I'll bethere. Been killin it lately. It'll be slapped togwter to drive to chopped but I'm keen. Dirt drags here I come

29. just a little update, got my inner guards for the engine bay blasted and will prime tomorrow, painting my flatty gold tomorrow, hoping for some gearbox parts and other cool bits from the post office, got my gearbox fully cleaned and wire brushed everything ready for reassembly, a lot of paint stripping and cleaning up parts at the moment ready for primer, moving along nicely at the moment getting me feeling good about having it done for chopped, hopefully doing the notch this week and getting it lower in the ass, and wheels will be off and tyres off for sandblasting and gloss black with new firestone rags in the next couple weeks. anyway heres just a couple pics. also i slipped in a couple of the chicken monsters ride, makes my spinner look tiny..........

Attached Files:

30. TheLogLady

TheLogLady

comming a'long ! cant wait to see it at Chopped...shame i cant say the same about mine...but aye...always next year.