Register now to get rid of these ads!

Offset lug adapters, revisited.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gimpyshotrods, Jul 31, 2011.

1. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Attached Files:

2. squirrel

squirrel

The post you linked to did not show the wheels or lug nuts, if they did it might help you figure this out. Apparently you don't have that stuff for this one?

3. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It just got delivered as you see it here. It remains a mystery.

4. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Ha! Got it! Appliance fine wire wheels from the mid seventies to the early eighties! Not one off by any stretch of the imagination, they came on these to allow the same wheel to fit 5 on 4 1/2", 4 3/4", or 5" bolt patterns... Absolute turds then, worse now! Wheels were kinda pretty though.

5. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks! Makes sense, that is about the era of the axle.

6. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Ya, forgot all about that system until a customer came in about a year ago with a '29 roadster built about '75 or so with Appliance wires on a Corvair front end. Couldn't keep it going straight to save his life! Couldn't understand why it was damn near inpossible to balance wheels or set this system up correctly either! As far as I know, he still isn't driving it... Sad, just better set of wheels would solve most of it's ills.

7. I remember seeing this in my teen years and thinking that it seemed like a spectacularly bad idea...but, some engineer designed it, so it must be okay.

Since then, however, I've worked with engineers...

8. Terry R Vaughan

Terry R Vaughan
    from wash state

I see the parts used on the hub. The aluminum pieces on the studs look like they are part of the ROTO lug nut assembly used by Appliance wheel company.
    i will go thru my catalogs to see if I can locate more information. I will take pictures of the used lug nuts I have on the shelf.
    Terry or [email protected]