Register now to get rid of these ads!

1955 truck rear axle question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by msinclair32, Jul 31, 2011.

1. msinclair32

msinclair32

will anybody tell me how to take the rear axles out of a 1955 chevy housing?

Last edited: Jul 31, 2011
  2. 69fury

69fury

Get out your 1955 service manual for Mack trucks and follow the directions. It is a Mack truck you're talking about, right? Not some kind of non-commercial pickup truck?

I love these "my car needs fixed- what's wrong with it" questions.

-nice edit-& thanks for the insult- i'll be sure to let your threads sit and rot like everyone else did from now on, instead of letting you know you haven't posted one frickin detail about your issue......

Last edited: Jul 31, 2011
  3. msinclair32

msinclair32

i love these i am an @$% hole guys on here

4. squirrel

squirrel

If you kids are done....

Pull the cover, unscrew the bolt, pull the pin, push in the axles, the c clips will fall out, pull out the axles.

5. 1/4mileDisaster

1/4mileDisaster
    from Arizona

I think a 55 has a drop out center doesn't it? So doesn't it have some kind of axle retention that you have to remove through the hole in the axle flange?

6. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

If it's the original axle for that truck, you should be able to just unbolt the flanges at the backing plates and pull them out. They might be stuck, so take the brake drums, turn them around, slide them back on the axle and thread two nuts a couple of threads and use it like a slide hammer. Be careful though so you don't mess up the drum... Usually just takes a couple of yanks to do.

For the record, before the edit I assumed you were talking about a Ford axle... Not an as*$hole move, just an assumption. I didm't answer because I couldn't be sure.

7. squirrel

squirrel

I've actually worked on one of these rearends in recent times....that's why I answered the way I did. The 3rd member does come out, but you won't find any bearing retainers at the ends of the axles, you gotta remove the C clips first

8. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Oh crap... Your right squirrel, that's the one with the drop out third member, but has a cover bolted to the back too. Should have just gone out and looked at my '55 first series...

9. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

As usual ... squirrel has it right :)
    Been there, done that ... have the T-shirt to prove it :rolleyes:

10. Delmo

Delmo
    from Burbank

Hahaha, perfect.

11. 69fury

69fury

glad you liked it- his first post was "will anyone tell me how to remove the axles from my truck?"

dozens of people looked at it- no responses. I looked at his profile- no help there

so i took the time to look through his post history- saw posts on a dozen different trucks from all different makes, and decades...

But if it's cool to call someone an asshole for trying to help, then he's the Fonze, making you what, Ralph-maybe?

My response was sarcastic-that's what a guy might get when he asks a question with zero details, asking others to do 100% of the work for him.

help us to help you, ya know?

-rick

12. 1/4mileDisaster

1/4mileDisaster
    from Arizona

Sorry, been a day or 2 since I had mine apart. Must be that 57 olds rear axle clouding my mind.

13. Delmo

Delmo
    from Burbank

Seems like you took allot of time to post something useless. If you don't have anything good to say why say anything at all? Potsie.