Register now to get rid of these ads!

hiring restoration enthousiast

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rschilp, May 5, 2011.

1. rschilp

rschilp

RETRY, still looking to hire.

We just moved into our new 10,000 sqft building and are busier than ever before.

We pretty much work on anything that pays the bills but specialize in restoration/modification of pre 1970 Muscle cars, trucks/cruisers and hot-rods.

Current projects; 1949 gmc with sbc, 1969 jaguar e-type, 1965 plymouth fury conv 383, 1969 camaro 396, 1952 F1 sbf, 1946 Lincoln custom truck. 1950 F1 with lincoln v12 just to name a few.

We do not do concourse restorations, the cars we build are meant to be driven.

Skills we are looking for:
    - General mechanic
    - Fabrication
    - Problem solving

Location; Wylie, TX, about 20 miles North East of Dallas, TX in the suburbs.

What we offer:
    - successful shop with all the tools you could ever want to use
    - Pay depending on experience
    - Commission on work you sell
    - Partnership opportunity after 6 months (gives us all time to decide if we want to work together), NO buy in required!!!
    - Space and support to work on your own project
    - Paid vacation time and holidays
    - Low cost of living area, just North of Dallas
    - Flexible hours

Great skills and interest are more important than an impressive resume, someone with extensive backyard build success is a better fit than someone with a certificate.

We don't do paint and body in house, so we're not looking for those skils.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2011
  2. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

3. rschilp

rschilp

4. rschilp

rschilp

Always see people complain about there not being any jobs and how they wish they could do hot-rods for a living, this is your opportunity, so apply or stop complaining.

5. rschilp

rschilp

Looks like we found our man, offer is going out the door today.

Thanks for the responses I got from the Hamb.

6. rschilp

rschilp

After about 2 months our new hire stopped showing up. He was upset we wouldn't give him a key to the shop so he could work overtime when we were not there. Found himself a job with no future, lower hourly wage but more hours, hope he found what he was looking for.

Have a part timer lined up, but really need someone full time as well.. anyone interested?

7. 51fordshoebox

51fordshoebox

i might be interested.. but need to talk with you more about pay. etc....

8. Deuces

Deuces

..... And '69 Camaros are my specialty... Damn! Wish I could afford to move... :(

9. sheltonfab

sheltonfab
    from Mo

Pm sent , thank you

10. rschilp

rschilp

Give me a call anytime, would love to talk to you. My phone number is on my website.

Sorry to disappoint you, no '69 camaros in the shop.. have two '68's though :D

Do some of everything and keeps us busy and in the industry with an OK living.

11. eaglebeak

eaglebeak

1965 pontiac fury conv 383
    I'd like to see that.

12. wrong generation

wrong generation
    from new jersey

wish you were in jersey.

13. rschilp

rschilp

Check my website..it's on there.

14. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

For several years I worked for and eventually helped manage a restoration shop that specialized in Rolls-Royce cars, and for 15= years my own business needed the same type of employees a restoration shop needs. Good employes are hard to find in any field, but skilled artisan types are especially hard to find and keep. And, the higher the quality of the work being done, the harder to find people to do it. Over the years I saw that get more so. Not to be discouraging, that's just the way it is.

15. dang, what an opportunity. too bad this recession hit me like a semi truck and the cost of movin all my old steel and rent costs so much, or i would be talking to you face to face tomorrow :cool:

good luck, sounds like an awesome job offer.

16. rschilp

rschilp

Agreed, it's almost impossible to find people.

We're turning down good work because we don't have employees. The last guy I hired was a printing press mechanic.. good with his hands, good mechanic but not a car guy.. took us a few months to get him going and then he walks out. He was the best out of about 150 applicants.

With a 10,000sqft shop and 10 customer cars, 1 shop project and miscellaneous other work we're staying plenty busy.

17. Deuces

Deuces

'68's are just as good! ;) My first car was a '68 droptop that I bought in '77.. I ended up selling it to a pal of mine that I grew up with a year or so later and he still has it today..

18. sheesh, way to make a guy kick himself in the arse. 3 yrs ago i stomped down to austin hopin to start somethin along this line. my old college buddy was all about it until he learned he had to wake up at 6am and work his butt off till about 8pm. owing a business sounded nice to him till he learned what it was going to take to get it off the ground. the old car scene is sooo much better in the southern states than here in ohio. folks here like them, but also know they have to store them for 6 months out of the year. its slow.

i cant believe its hard to find motivated car enthusiasts with a capacity to work hard down there :(

ill be watching this thread (and my bank account) like a hawk.

i got a tent...got room??:rolleyes: how big did you say that parking lot was? and how many employee projects are you willing to show off in it?

19. Crystal Blue

Crystal Blue

Plymouth, not Pontiac :rolleyes:

20. rschilp

rschilp

Ooops, long hot day in the shop

21. These types of skills are dying off. Extremely hard to find an individual with this skill set looking for a job. Most have their own shop or are kept happy where they are currently employed. Or is the hobbyist on the weekend and an IT computer guy during the week, unaware of the value of his skills and not ready to leave the office.

Its not like there are apprenticeship programs for working on old iron. I read here on a thread that a certified mechanic was not familiar with a road draft tube. Take a new young mechanic, and have him diagnose a "no start" on a car that doesn't have a computer port for a scanner. Grab a chair and some popcorn. Try to find someone to replace the brushes in a starter motor or rebuild a master or wheel cylinder. This week my buddy calls me up, very OT Lexus got an estimate of 600 plus from the dealer for rear calipers and break job wants to know if ill help him. Brakes were perfect except 1caliper was stuck on the pins. Took me 20 mins flat to drive it in, find the problem, fix it and drive it out. 1 used piece of sand paper & $ 0.03 cents worth of grease to fix it.

And the ' 65 Pontiac fury convertible 383 isn't on your website.

22. rschilp

rschilp

Trying to change all that.. I was (am) that IT guy behind a desk, but changed my career.

Teaching two young kids in the shop now, one has a day job and works with us 2 days a week the other is going to be there half time while he finishes high school. Both are doing great and learning a lot.

23. sheltonfab

sheltonfab
    from Mo

What is the name of your shop? I sent you a pm, let me know what you think!

24. rschilp

rschilp

Powers of observation are somewhat important for this job.. check my signature.

Got your PM, call me to talk sometime.

25. sheltonfab

sheltonfab
    from Mo

On my computer doesn't show your signature!

26. sheltonfab

sheltonfab
    from Mo

We all couldn't done without the smart ass comment

27. customs by jason

customs by jason

damn wish i had the money to pack up and move. why dont you open a shop in nc lol

28. rschilp

rschilp

always a possibility, but not quite yet.

29. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

Same here, over 15+ years we routinely worked overtime never turned away less that 40% of what we grossed in a given year. Our best year(huge jobs for our best customer) I hired people I normally wouldn't have and lived with those problems, and subcontracted some things then fixed whatever had to be redone. That busiest year we turned away 2 1/2 times what we grossed!

So long as there is a market for the level of quality of workmanship and service you provide, if you are making money and it's not making you crazy that's probably as as good as it can get. I don't understand it all, but there are various reasons why one runs into trouble trying to grow the capacity of a business like yours past a certain point. I learned that the hard way. Later a friend who had been to college for business told me it was a well understood principal. Beyond finding the employees, getting too big in a craftsman type business means lower overall quality, less attention to the small stuff that matters to customers, lower operating efficiency(must be a LOT bigger to be offset by greater work volume), and the need for competent and dedicated middle management.

30. D.G.F

D.G.F
    from Las Vegas

Man I would love the opportunity to work in your shop! Someday..:(