Register now to get rid of these ads!

351c and 302 ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by macs55, Jul 23, 2004.

1. George

George

Cs 70-74,are D0 & D2, the Ms 75-80 & 400 71-80 are D1,3,4,5,7,8

2. George

George

Not to mention 302Cs!:D

3. ijuslikefords

ijuslikefords

lilblacktruck, I live in Va Bch if your in Williamsburg Virginia, and I have a lightning also. PM me if you need help with your truck, and I'll see what I can do when I'm accually home. I'm curious what issues you have with your truck.

Now, back to your regularly schedueled HAMB...

4. HOT40ROD

HOT40ROD
    from Easton, Pa

There was a D3 block that was a cleveland. It was the D3ZE-A and it was a 4 bolt main block. also the D0AE-C was a 4 bolt main block.

The other D3 block were the worse block that Ford built. They had a habit of cracking.

The D4 block was the block of choice. They had the BB bell and a the walls of the bore were straight and there was no issue with boring them .060 which could have been an issue with the early blocks because of alignment issue with the core for the cylinder wall. The D3 block was .030 higher and it would be milled down to the same height as the early Cleveland. And with the BB bell it made it easier to hook a C6 to just because there were a lot more BB C6's the small blocks.

Another thing about the cleveland is that you can find 4 bolt main block in the 2V application.

Now the Assie Cleveland was one of the best Clevelands built.

Also you will find stock 351 M with 351 Cleveland 2V decals on the air cleaners.

Like I said and other said. The true Cleveland all had SB bells But Ford Marketed the 351M as a Cleveland and that were the issue start. I don't know how many times I was told were a 351 C was and it ended up be a 351 M. And yes they did but the D2 block in car until 1974. But they also starting putting the M block in car in 1973. That why I said the hard core Ford guys go by the casting numbers.

And yes the first 400s were small block bells. The block is .500 inch teller deck then the 351 C. The 400 was design to replace the heavy 390 FE motor.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2011
  5. HOT40ROD

HOT40ROD
    from Easton, Pa

Like the original poster asked. Yes the True 351 Cleveland will bolt in there a 302 or 351 W was The only issue are exhaust manifolds

6. Degenerate

Degenerate
    from Indiana

Sorry to hijack but I see some knowledgeable cleaveland people responding. I just acquired a nice '71 2v cleaveland core. Can the 2v heads work adequate for a little street performance with a little porting? Engine came with an Edlebrock F351 2v intake. I don't have any drag racing in mind.

7. HOT40ROD

HOT40ROD
    from Easton, Pa

The 2v Engine is a better engine for the street. It has smaller runner which will give it more bottom end on the street. They use to restrict the exhaust runner on the 4V heads for low end torque. There was a kit that bolted to the exhaust ports under the header. It would close off the bottom of the runner and make it a D port runner. Do you know what casting numbers are on the heads. Some were close clamber and the others were open clamber which lowered the compression ratio.

8. Drive Em

Drive Em

Dude, I have never heard of or seen a Clevo block with a BB bell pattern. I have 12 Clevo blocks in my shed in both 2 a 4 bolt mains and consider myself pretty knowlegeable on the subject.

9. HOT40ROD

HOT40ROD
    from Easton, Pa

The second to last paragraph I said all the Cleveland were small block bell. Ford marketing is what made the issue.

as for the D4 block it was a M block but racer were using them becuase of the BB bell for the C6 and the cylinder wall were straight so there was no issue with boring them .060.

What I am trying to explain that there are a lot of people think they have Clevelands went they are really M motors.

We raced those motor when they were in there prime. And also have all the factory tech sheets on that motor. We were a factory Ford team and I think Ford would not lie to us.

I also have some motors setting in my shop that most people do not even know Ford made. The 1968 302 tunnel port, head casting C8FE-A and the 1968 Boss 302 . Head cast is C8VE.Those motor were a embarrassment for Ford that the time because the 68 blocks would not hold up to the high RPMs that the motors were putting out. Now you can't find them. The 68 block did not have the extended cylinder wall and the piston would stick out the bottom of the cylinder which made them vibrate and cause them to break.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2011
  10. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

12.5:1 dry deck TunnelPort 302, one year only, 2x4 intake- there's one still running in the vintage races these days. I still have the Car & Driver from '68 (bought it back then) with the street and track comparison test between the TunnelPort and the cross-rammed Z28- which coincidentally was the first time the public ever saw F60-15 Polyglas tires, on the Mustang- as the scribes said "made the Camaro's E70-15's look like Suzuki tires"
    I remember carrying around a 494 CanAm block by sticking my arm down one of the bores, grabbing a main journal, and picking it up, in 1978- yeah, it was light

11. Do I understand that you did not have 302 clevelands in the states , I am not talking about bosses. 302c are really plentyful in Oz and cheap ,and yes 351 c 4v were standard in F100s here.

12. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

13. George

George

Right, no 302C here in the States. The only reason you guys in Oz have them is with your small production runs Ford Australia realized they really couldn't justify making 351C & 302Ws. The W was discontinued & the C destroked for commonality of parts.

14. George

George

The 1st 400s were 71-2 & had the BB bell, some 400s in 73 had the SB(D3) & some had the BB bell, there were no Ms untill '75. There are D2 Cleveland 2 & 4 bolt mains 71-4.

If you realize all Cs have the SBF pattern & none of the Ms do then you should have said that, Just because Ford Marketing tried to bullshit people into thinking they have a C when they have an M, plus people assuming it's a C because of simular heads, is no reason to confuse the issue further with somewhat foggy explanations. Kinda like everyone thinking all early Hemis are 392s.

15. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

Yep, this thread seems to have artificially lived on for quite a while due to "Much ado about bupkus". Most folks think of the two engine "families" by the type of cylinder head, Windsor type or Cleveland (335 series)type- BFD
    And after a little research, a lot of that hooey seems to be fairly verbatim from Wiki :rolleyes:

16. HOT40ROD

HOT40ROD
    from Easton, Pa

All I know is that at the beginning of this thread everyone was saying that there were no Clevelands that would fit were a 302 was and I came in to try say that there was and that there was a lot of confusion about the 351 Cleveland. I know we stop campaigning the 351 in 74 and went to the 429 because of the difference blocks and the issue that were happening because of it. And from 74 till now is a long time to remember everything down to the smallest detail.

And for that want to know here is the list of 351 Cleveland blocks.

D0AE-A
    D0AE-C
    D0AE-E
    D0AE-G
    D0AE-J
    D0AE-L
    D2AE-DA
    D2AE-CA 71-74 Cobra Jet
    D6HM-L Australian No casting numbers but only Ford part number.
    D0AE-B
    D0AE-D
    D0AE-F
    D0AE-H
    D1ZE-A
    D1ZE-B 1971 Boss 351
    D2AE-EA 1972 High Output
    D3ZE-A

Last edited: Jul 31, 2011