Register now to get rid of these ads!

Thanks for the motivation on the '34, guys.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by phartman, Jul 19, 2011.

1. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

Pete, I faintly remember the days when I was still driving my pre-war Ford. It's been damned near 2 years since the last time it moved under it's own power.

Maybe some day I'll rejoin you guys on the road, though it won't be as 'simple' as yours (265 SBC...) there's just something about driving old vehicles around. Maybe it's the fact that you actually drive them instead of just sitting in them watching the world go by.

2. Been studying many old pics from the '50s and '60s for proper stance. Came across this one from R&C 1960. Pretty high off the front wheels, much higher than what we think of today as a "lowered" truck. Probably pulled a few front springs out- as I did- and called it a day. Dunno. Note there is no tire rake (front tires the same size as rear). Mine has 5.50s on the front and 7.00s on the back. I'm going to guess that this one has about 1 1/2" of space from the crown of the bead to the bottom of the fender. Mine has 2", but mine has a fair amount of tire rake.

So how much lower should mine go? Just a notch? Leave it as it is?

To our modern eye, mine looks too high. But if you start paying attention to many of the period photos, they were about the height of mine.

What do you think? Leave it alone? Drop it a little? Drop it alot? How say you, oh wise bards of the HAMB?

[​IMG]

3. RodStRace

RodStRace

Needs another inch down in front. Take a look at all the pics in this thread and see the difference F to R, especially the one in #35.
    That's my two cents.

4. Dave< I'm with you...

The eyes are not reversed, so doing that drops it another inch. Jack's axle drops it 1 /2" over stock. So I'm thinking of going with Jack's axle alone and not reversing the eyes.

But I'm surprised at the number of guys who say, "Leave it alone." There doesn't seem to be a middle ground here.

But in any case, it's headed lower at some point.

5. gassercrazy41

gassercrazy41

been riding and driving around in old cars my whole live. never gets old getting the thumbs up and the funny looks. some people appreciate them. some think its nonsense. some people don't car....i prefer the ones who appreciate them;)

6. I like em low Pete, but I'm weird like that. They look good with a mild drop though...........

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Tony's was pretty low..............

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I like them this low!!:D

[​IMG]

7. Oh but wait.............. this one may be lower!:)

[​IMG]

8. OK..............last one, I promise!! ( I know....it's a 32, so sue me)

[​IMG]

9. Screeeew that... That truck sits fine just the way it is. Not like it's got 6" of air between the tops of the tires and the fenders or anything. Dropping the nose a hair if you just have to won't hurt anything but that truck is cool just like it is.

Mildly lowered or slightly raked is one thing but slammed trucks are a pain to run around in.

Ask me how I know... Ok I'll tell you...

Dropped my 66 C10 down low about 15 years ago and what did I get for the effort?

Rubbing everything on the underside of the truck in every parking lot in town. Having to make the block so you can turn around and hit the driveway from another angle when all you want is a Coke from the freakin' convience store.

Let the young guys build the crazy slammed stuff. I'll look and admire and then drive off in my slightly raked truck and enjoy life.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2011
  10. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Another vote to leave it as-is. It's perfect, and beautiful!!

I find that folks slow down and pause to gawk at my old vehicle when I'm on the road, give the thumbs up, then are on their hurried way again. I just truck alongnat the speed limit. I like to enjoy my time being the wheel and the scenery. Low and slow, that's me. :)

11. ukgav

ukgav

Nice looking truck!
    You wont go wrong with Don's heads, they really are top notch.
    I went for a set along with the matching inlet and picked up over a second in the quarter and that was running flat top pistons with dome type heads. (my mistake, forgot to order the right ones but will enable me to run dome pistons down the line) Gives around 7:1 compression. As you say would be 8:1 with dome pistons or the correct heads meant for flat tops.
    Everyone says to ditch the 21 stud but I am loving being different and creeping up on the performance. Started out running 20.4 second quarters and have that down to a 17.8 so far :)
    [​IMG]

Enjoy the truck!

12. UKGav, love that truck of yours! You posted that pic on another thread quite some time ago and it gave me the motivation to order the heads from Don. I'm with you: these 21-studs are a blast to fool around with. Very unusual. I love 'em.

My motor has flattops, and Don pointed out that it is possible to do what you've done: run the dome heads on the flattop motors. But he also said that if I order the flattop heads and rebuild the motor at some point with dome pistons, he will remachine the heads for me. That's what I've done.

You have a beautful truck. Thanks for posting.

13. Don't know how I missed this one for so long. Truck looks great Pete! Nice choice on the wheels and tires.

14. ukgav

ukgav

Thanks man!
    I would love to build a screaming 21 stud with a 4 inch crank but that is just pie in the sky.
    I will probably try and source a LB block and build up a nice strong little motor and stick the Eddie Meyer stuff on that. Think I am asking a bit much of my babbitt bearings the way the truck gets used! :) been holding up well so far though.
    You have probably seen it already but check out the 21 stud on 'muffins' thread that was built for his 34!

15. Last edited: Jul 27, 2011
  16. ukgav

ukgav

There is a chance mine is an LB, although there is nothing stamped on the block I understand not all were.
    I haven't had the sump off but do know it must have been rebuilt in the past as I discovered it runs 80' pistons and adjustable lifters.
    Interesting to read about the number of different stock heads. The one's on mine had completely different combustion chambers.

17. I have a third set being worked on by the shop, as we speak. The combustion chamber design is much more symmetrical in their look. The plug is not offset to the exhaust side. It is centered. These heads are later, and are not gennie Ford. But they look all the world like the 8ba chambers.

The oldtimers tell me the heads shown above had the biased plugs favoring the exhaust side so that the flame travel and exiting gases would help clean off fouled plugs due to poor quality gasoline. As gasoline improved, less need for this design, I am told.

I have seen 5 different chamber designs for the flattlops, and they say there are at least 15 or so around.

Lots of experimenting, obviously, was going on "way back when."

18. jackandeuces

jackandeuces

TEASER, Pete which one you like best.......

Attached Files:

19. Dang, Jack, you weren't kidding! You really do have an axle for me!

20. Road trip! Any place to get pie in Hampton? :D

21. jackandeuces

jackandeuces

,,,,,, May even have a couple more......

22. HeyyCharger

HeyyCharger

Way cool Pick-Up Phartman! Truly, I really love it.

Stance is everything.... Then you will find that you will constantly be adding and changing things as you go.

Keep us posted on your endeavors and post up a couple more pics of the truck with the dropped axle!

By the way, have you thought of running a 2x2 intake? You will feel the biggest difference out of most modifications when you give yourself an extra carburetor.... Food for thought.

HC.

23. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Great looking truck!! I like it.

24. Oh a second carb has been debated many times. Currently running a Stromberg 48, which is pretty healthy. We'll see after the higher compression heads get installed. While I like Don's re-pop of the Eddie Meyers manifold, I've been looking around for other choices, just haven't found what I wanted yet.
    And I was a little surprised at how many multi-carb setups are actually dummies. That single setup works pretty well, so it turns out.

Adding and tinkering with this and that...yup, that's a huge part of the appeal.

25. Did I hear Pie, hot rods and road trip as a suggestion? My heart be still.

Who don't like pie? Everybody likes pie...apple, peach, chess, blueberry, lemon....

26. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

super neat truck. i'm loving it.

27. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Dang if this doesn't make me miss my old '34. It had a 265 installed in '58 hooked to the origonal drivetrain and to get syncro gears I installed a '39 box. Tore it down for a complete rebuild and it stayed apart for over 30 years until I finally sold it, still apart.:(

Frank

28. lowphat53

lowphat53
    from Virginia

Pete, your truck is great! Very sharp. I know you are having a blast with it. As for my opinion, you know I think you should lower it! Nothing crazy, maybe an 1.5" or so.
    None the less, great ride ya got there...

29. 29ToyA

29ToyA

Sweet! Looks great! I don't see anything I would change.