Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Lincoln Continental experts........need advice!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BigScott666, Jul 26, 2011.

1. BigScott666

BigScott666
    from East Coast

Need advice prior to purchase.

Looking to pick up a 67 Continental 4 dr hardtop - with all the original driveline 140,000 miles. How are these motors and trans? And what about the vacuum assisted windows??

What else do I need to look out for........I'm not very knowledable with these cars so any information would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks
    BigScott

2. joeyesmen

joeyesmen

I used this 67 sedan as my daily driver for 4 years -- 18,000 original miles -- so my motor and trans was great. I put dual exhaust and glass packs on it. This was a very well-built and dependable car. The vacuum windows worked -- some slower than others -- but the vacuum power locks did not. It looks like a giant octopus under the dash, with all these tubes going everywhere and if even one of them has a leak, you're screwed. The whole system is interconnected. Lots of hunt and peck to try to fix anything in the vacuum system. And I think you have to take the dash out of the car and pretty much disassemble the interior to try and access the vacuum system. I just worked the locks by hand.

Other than that -- rear leaf springs tend to sag, I had mine re-arced so it sat level. Otherwise it looks like you are driving uphill. There's a parts supplier called Lincoln Land or something like that who has a nice selection of replacement parts. You can even send them your dash clock and they will re-fit it with a quartz-timing back so it keeps perfect time.

AC needs to be recharged once a year. And I got about 15 mpg hwy, probably 11 or 12 city. And of course, it likes premium gas, too.

Attached Files:

3. BigScott666

BigScott666
    from East Coast

thanks man, I really appreciate all the input.

4. Jimv

Jimv

i worked for L-M in 1968 till about 75 & i remember a trick that we use to do to get the Vac.locks to work! we use to get a "ice pick" & punch a hole thru one of the vacuum lines in one of the doors, it allowed the system to relieve pressure after the doors lock or something like that! I just can't remember with color vacuum line it was! Sorry.
    maybe someone who barely made it thru the 60's on here can remember!!lol
    JimV

5. Sonny Day Out

Sonny Day Out

All,

The question was about vacuum assisted windows !
    Lincolns from the early 50's had electric motors for the windows ! One problem is a coupling ( rubber ? ) between the electric motor and the window regulator !

My 66 covertible averaged about 9 MPG ! It has been in storage since 1979 !

Good Luck,
    Sonny

6. wizzard23

wizzard23

I have a good friend who has a 67 2 door hardtop. Been in his family for many years. He just uses it as a hobbie car, probably drives it 1 to 2 K a year. It takes alot of patience and maintainence to keep all the little stuff working on it.

7. Jimv

Jimv

My bad, they did have electric motors in them!The vacuum was for the locks, but everything on the car seemed to run off vacuum!
    JimV