Register now to get rid of these ads!

More VIN/title issues

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by stmotorsports, Jun 3, 2011.

1. stmotorsports

stmotorsports

woah... thats alot of replies and questions... I'll try to field everything as much as possible

the link posted earlier doesn't look like mine, but the older style is available.

NY was an absolute nightmare with this, anyone I spoke with in NY didnt want to touch it with a 10ft pole, and a few individuals virtually hung up on me. I knew we were going to be moving anyways so it got to the point where I just said screw it and I would just wait and get it titled in NC. NY is notorious for unnecessary bs, hassles, delays and red tape, and that is a big part of the reason why we moved in the 1st place.

yep thats exactly what mine looks like, only its on the backside of the driver windshield pillar

yep you are exactly right- the # on the body tag is C54Jxxxxxx but the # on the title is xxxxxxxF54Z

I spoke with the inspectors again and once I get the car down here they will have to come out and verify the body vin and go from there. Apparently as long as they're satisfied that the car actually exists, the vin is legit, nothing has been tampered with, and the car is not stolen I should be good to go

zman - you sound like you've been thru this here before, just how bad is it? Half the people I've spoken with say its a nightmare, the other half say its no big deal and you'll have your title before you know it

2. BJR

BJR

On late 40's & 50's GM cars the frame is stamped with the same number as the tag on the door post. The frame number should be stamped somewhere around the steering box and also on either the left or right top of the frame behind the rear axle.

3. TIN INDIAN MAN

TIN INDIAN MAN

Have you got any one in GEORGIA ? Easy to do there at any CT House. No inspection. Get a title issued, ( they bitch about issuing "OLD TITLES" but will do it. Present it to NC get your papers. A bit of a back door process but it works.

FL did me in once on a 48 Chevy that had a motor change. Finally got a FL ID Vin #

4. I recently went through the same thing with my 48 plymouth in June of this year. I was told many different ways that the Bonded title process works. Here is the one way that worked for me.

1. Go to the License plate office and find out the value of the car for tax purposes.
    2. Get a NC lost title bond from http://www.thebondexchange.net/ for 1.5 time the value of the car. (I used the serial number in the door jam as my vin #)
    3. Have a NC DMV Theft inspector come inspect the vehilce. (Ask for a written copy of the report or you paper work will take upto a year and a half to be completed.)
    4. Fill out this form http://www.ncdot.gov/download/dmv/VR_MVR92D.pdf
    5. Take the previous mentioned forms to the DMV License plate office along with a notarized copy of the bill of sale and original Title (if you have it) and pay the taxes, tag fee $28, notirization fee $5

I was told by the DMV inspector that NC normally uses the Motor number for titles but since I had already purchased my Bond using the serial number it was ok.

I was also told that the bonded title should arrive no later than four months. He even went on to say that in the past ten years he has only seen 3 peoples title application not get approved.

5. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

Yes, Texas used the motor number as the VIN.

6. stmotorsports

stmotorsports

Thanks again for the replies guys. I think I finally got all the ducks in a row, got ahold of some knowledgeable folks in the theft bureau and they walked me thru the whole process.

Backyard Associates- Does your car still have the original engine or will they use the # from whatever engine is in the car currently if you didnt already apply with the body#? The original engine from my car is long gone, and I'd rather use the body # anyways. The odds of the engine being replaced again at some point in the car's life is not completely unlikely, but replacing the body aint gonna happen.

7. Yes my car does have the original engine. I was told by the inspector that they prefer to use the engine # but since I already had my bond issued with the serial number(from the door jam) he said that it would be ok.