Register now to get rid of these ads!

1956 olds vs tri five chevy: what parts will enterchange

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by metalix_421, Jul 21, 2011.

1. metalix_421

metalix_421

just bought my first olds. it is a 56 rocket 88 2 door and I was wondering what if any chevy parts will fit, such as floor pans, doors, rockers or anything that i could steel off of one of davidh73750's :D 55's or snag off of another.
    and thanks in advance.

2. My guess, nothing. The Olds is a bigger car than the Chevy, the body looks the same, but isn't.

3. Gas Giant

Gas Giant

Probably the air in the tires and and the hula girl on the dash....but that's likely about it.

4. 56oldsDarrin

56oldsDarrin

If Its a hardtop, a lot more pieces will swap than must people realize, the sedan not so much.
    The bigger comes between the firewall and the front wheels, door seals, glass and some outer curves (sheetmetal) could be used, if its a hardtop, forget the glass if its a sedan.
    The B.O.P. gang shares more with each other than they do with Chevies.
    The 98s are way bigger but you can steal front sheetmetal off them.
    They are great old cars, don't let Chevy guys get you down.

5. metalix_421

metalix_421

thanks darrin you answered what I was looking for. I dont let anyone get me down all I have ever had was chevys but now it was time for a change. you can go to ANY CAR SHOW and see 15-20 55-7 chevys

6. Well, no, Buick and Olds are one body, Pontiac and Chevy the other. Very little interchanges, just some small bits GM used on every car. Some other things will physically fit each other, but aren't the same parts.

7. metalix_421

metalix_421

but floor pans would wouldnt they?

8. squirrel

squirrel

floor pan would be different. Even the chevy and pontiac, which share doors and glass and roof stuff, use different floor pans and frames and suspension.

9. flatoz

flatoz

I have a '55 Olds, so can't speak 100% for the '56 but Its mostly the small general stuff that swaps. such as the coat hooks, the interior light and the interior light switches in the door jams. That sort of stuff.

Body wise the 'Turret' on the Olds and Buicks is the same, so windscreen and rear glass , the flippers etc. Door will also but the outside sheet metal is slightly different. I'm not sure on the window winder mechanisms, but I would think its probably a safe bet Olds-Buick that is.

As for motor, nothing I know, maybe thermostat. if your car has the 56 motor while its a 324 it has the larger cam than the 54-5 motor ( journal size) but the better heads '10' and more HP from factory.

I did find on mine that the outer tierod ends where a later GM unit here, but it used one side for both, as in we have left and right threaded tierod ends, but the Olds only used 2x left thread ( can't say it was could have been R, but it was 2 the same thread)

Not much help, but all I know of.

10. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

Glass fits 54-56 Olds and Buick, nothing else

Doors 55-56 Olds and Buick

Deck lid, again, Olds and Buick, nothing else

Roof, Olds and Buick, nothing else

Source of information: Hollander Interchange

11. ZZ-IRON

ZZ-IRON
    from Minnesota

12. elanore56

elanore56

would 56 chevy hard top trunk hinges fit a hard top 56 buick?

13. 390Merc

390Merc
    from Indiana

Don't forget the most important part of all that fits both 56 Olds & 56 Chevys: Olds Fiesta spinner hubcaps!

14. Squablow

Squablow

Keep in mind that only the Buick Special and Century parts will interchange with the Olds 88 from 54-56. The Olds 98 shared a body with the Buick Super and Roadmaster, and the two don't interchange either. None of the glass or sheetmetal from the Chevy will fit the Olds. NONE. I have a '56 Special and a '56 Chevy, nothing is the same.

No, the trunk hinges will not interchange. They're different too.