Register now to get rid of these ads!

Bieber Shifter???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hightone111, Jul 12, 2011.

1. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

So, is the black knob reverse?

2. vncruiser

vncruiser
    BANNED

Yep!

3. HopFrog

HopFrog
    from no where

Damn, that's one bad a$$ed shifter! I would re-market that under a theft deterrent device lmao. I'd love to see the guys face hot wiring a car then sitting like a dumbass staring at the handles :eek:

4. Why always the negative comments? I owned one of those shifters. Pull the handles as hard as you want, and shift really fast! The higher the gear ratio in the rear end (example of 5.38 to 1), the faster you could pull the up shift handle and get to forth gear really fast. Yes, the mounting bolts would come loose. And on the street you would loose track of which gear you were in. I wish I still had my two handled shifter. Sold it to Mark Brown at Advance Engine and Machine Inc., Salina, KS many years ago for $35.00. Maybe he still has it. (phone # 785-825-6684)

Hightone111 likes this.
  5. Hightone111

Hightone111

Awesome! Thanks man

6. Hightone111

Hightone111

Haha yeah no kidding.

All expected BS aside I appreciate everyones help and comments. So it's not the most common, user friendly shifter ever. But it IS rad and rare and I got it for free, No complaints here. I searched the net for 2 days and couldn't find anything on them, so we've also resurrected a piece of history...as far as I can tell.

7. 69fury

69fury

That is two damned cool!!!!! I've just got a 727 in my falcon gasser, but want a 4 speed so bad- Now i cant tell if i need a Vertigate or one of those when i switch over...

-rick

8. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I'm thinking the problem with speed shifting a 4 -speed comes from lack of driver coordination rather than some need for a fancy shifter.

I'm not seeing how that could be any sort of improvement over a good old fashioned Hurst shifter. interesting conversation piece though.

seb fontana and Cosmo49 like this.
  9. Hightone111

Hightone111

The last Hurst I ran needed constant adjustment, this thing is solid! But it's more about the history and rarity than simplicity

10. J.T.

J.T.
    from n.j.

I have one seem to have lost the shift arms could you forward pics for me to copy

11. heyizzy

heyizzy

It is a small world I was very close to Bill we lived In California City for years, Bill and I had many good times. Before he passed I was given one of the changers I have it in the box all the paper work pictures and like you it is NOT for sale. If I can help answer questions, My Name is Steve My email addy is [email protected] , would love to hear how you got your changer and if you know of all the things he made built and what a great an he was in life. Hope to hear from you soon. I only no of 10 to be out there would love to find all the people who have them Steve

Hightone111 likes this.
  12. LeeVanWeelzupp

LeeVanWeelzupp

After reading about the shifter in a magazine article about 100 years ago I decided Iwanted one. I asked my brother if he ever ran across one in a swapshop to buy it and send it to me. 6 months later he found one. I installed it in my 409 61 impala and loved it! Only drawback on street in traffic sometimes forgot wether in 2nd or 3rd leading to shifting past 4th. As prev mentioned good theft deterrant. People checking out the car would sometimes ask if I really had a 2 speed Lenco in it!

13. lawsco

lawsco

"only 10 out there" ???????!!!! Really? Well One of them is in Hilo, Hawaii. I bought it off ebay back in 2000 for my 57 chevy 2 door post project but bought a G-force 5 speed and long shifter instead. The shifter has been sitting in my parts stash ever since. I had a hell of a time figuring out how to install it but fortunately it came with everything so I eventually figured it out. I tested it in my 68 camaro but since it wouldn't fit in the factory console I took it out after the test fit. Sorry guys its not for sale as I'm planning on putting it in my Opel GT gasser project

Hightone111 likes this.
  14. Boy, that's an understatement if there ever was one. ;)

15. Zip's 32

Zip's 32
    from GA

I think I still have one, used it in my 70 Nova SS/E in about '72. Took it out when the Vertical Gates hit the market.

Hightone111 likes this.
  16. D-man313

D-man313

I don't know why, but I want one. :)

17. Zip's 32

Zip's 32
    from GA

I'll think I know which box of old racing parts I have it in and dig it out. Should be complete with instructions. I may have removed one of the wood handles to install the line-lock switch. But it really worked well, you could "pre load" the shifts by pulling the upshift lever almost to the shift point and sideslip the clutch while pulling back the last bit before it shifted. Super Stock cars could do only dry burnouts so by backing up (both large levers in neutral and small lever pushed forward) yo could just grab the upshift lever and pull back, it comes out of reverse and into 1st gear for that last tire clean.

18. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

That is such a cool shifter! I really dig it!

What is even cooler, internet turned close to nothing. But the HAMB turnes up two add, two pictures, a friend of the designer, a guy that has one missing arms and 4 of the 10 ever to be build. If this ain't even cooler then the shifter, I don't know what is!

Hightone111 likes this.
  19. Zip's 32

Zip's 32
    from GA

Well, I found the box with the Bieber Changer in it, also had a Mr. Gasket Vertical Gate with Line-Loc and T-Handle with switch.
    The serial number is 616 and is complete, just missing one wood trim on the downshift handle. Took photos but having trouble uploading them.

20. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

With all the responses of guys who still have one, it sounds like almost all 10 of them are accounted for here! :)

21. 57Custom300

57Custom300
    from Arizona

^^^ I was thinking the same thing. Cool shifter!

22. Hightone111

Hightone111

Haven’t been here in awhile. Might as well add some updated pic. IMG_3662.JPG IMG_3642.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

23. That looks very interesting!

Thanks for the update

Hightone111 likes this.
  24. G'day, There was one in my red, white, and blue 55 Chevy when I bought it. I ran it on the street for a couple of years. It was noisy but shifted crisp and clean. I sold it to a friend of mine back in the late 70's still on the M22. I am an idiot. I got a hold of him in the century and his brother had hauled it in for scrap. I would love another for my 59 but I guess I will have to settle for the Richmond 6 speed I have.

Hightone111 likes this.
  25. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

I can't get over it; a Justin Bieber shifter for a Tranny. Ya can't make this stuff up. But, I do remember the shifter, the advertisements, and the articles back in the 70's. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.