Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 64 Comet Build for Sema.....Its build time....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Total Performance, Jan 10, 2011.

1. Total Performance

Total Performance
    from Nor Cal

Here is Ryan slapping on the Wilwoods. With all of the brands out there I stick with the Wilwoods. Its a very straight forward application and they make them for almost everything at a decent price. These ones are the 12" Dynalite's and they went on without any issues! They are going to look killer behind the wheels. I went for the dark colored caliper. I always lean more towards the suttle than the red ones for most projects.

Psyclone will have a complete Wilwood system including the rear disks, master cylinder and prop valve.

By the way, Ryan was the one that came up with the name Psyclone on the way to Hot Rod Reunion last year when we were batting around the concept. Nothing like the drags to get your creative juices flowing.

Total Perf-

Attached Files:

2. Total Performance

Total Performance
    from Nor Cal

Ive spent the last few nights polishing all the stanless in the car from the window frames to the window surrounds and all 45 other pieces. It makes me wish I would have sent this stuff out but man by doing it myself on my own polishing motors I save a bunch of dough. I use a series of big wheels like the one in the background of the zoomed out picture and then finish it wish a compound on the loose wheel, usually about 4-6 steps from start to finish for each piece...very time consuming.

Total perf-

Attached Files:

3. Total Performance

Total Performance
    from Nor Cal

Its late as hell here, almost midnight and my sweety brought me a hot coffee after the iced ones she brought us earlier (pic). Thanks babe. She's awesome. She gets it. In the pic she's cutting the bill off one of my hats because I wear them backwards and they always get nocked off my head by the welding helmet and crawling around in the car. My last one needed to go to the trash, it looked like roadkill on my head.

When the car gets done she wants to get all dolled up and do a pin-up style photo shoot with the car. Skin tight clothes and the whole deal. Sounds killer! Talk about motivation, and you guys thought it was SEMA. lol

Attached Files:

4. hemifalcon

hemifalcon

That patch was done with 'strength' in mind?? :( For something that is being done for SEMA--I figured it would have been repaired along the same lines as the 'detail' that you seem to take in disassembly. I'm sorry to be a downer here--but things like that really kinda ruin the vibe when it's known that a lackluster repair was done on a 'show car'.

5. Total Performance

Total Performance
    from Nor Cal

Claymore- Thanks a bunch! Glad to have you along for the ride!

6. Total Performance

Total Performance
    from Nor Cal

Hemifalcon- Not a downer at all. I probably would have wondered the same thing. See post #65 for your answer.

Actually, right now we are trying to really nail down the rear suspension on the car, we've had a few manufacturers back out of their designs on us. I'll talk about that shortly. So the direction we are heading in, may make it so we have to cut that complete panel out again as well.

Just when you think it's a solid build plan, everything changes. Thanks for your question.

Total Perf-

7. retro rodder

retro rodder
    from cape cod

8. mattrod68

mattrod68

Lookin good sweetie!! Now you owe me a cake pop

Well get it!!

9. Sooo, I see the NOS center oiler deal fell through.
    Nice build but I really don't see a SEMA quality manufacturer showcase car.

10. Total Performance

Total Performance
    from Nor Cal

That made me laugh out loud!

11. Total Performance

Total Performance
    from Nor Cal

Artfrombama- The side oiler from post #10 if you reread that post was a reply to another member about a completely other build. Yes it is happening.

Thanks for the compliment on the build.

12. Slova377

Slova377
    from Santa Cruz

That Ryan kid sounds pretty cool.....

13. Lovin' this build and I love those Mercury valve covers. They will look killer on the motor.

14. 30trad

30trad

Makes me want to get out in the shed and pull my 64 comet to pieces as well. Great thred keep up the good work

15. Total Performance

Total Performance
    from Nor Cal

Thanks for the compliments guys! Here are the seats.

The target was to have a very new performance seat with exactly the same covering plete dimensions as the original Cyclone had for the new PSYCLONE! Im really pleased with the finished product!

Total Perf-

Attached Files:

• 046.jpg
      046.jpg
      File size:
      178.9 KB
      Views:
    • 047.jpg
      047.jpg
      File size:
      211.3 KB
      Views:
    • 044.jpg
      044.jpg
      File size:
      244 KB
      Views:
    • 045.jpg
      045.jpg
      File size:
      267 KB
      Views:
  16. Total Performance

Total Performance
    from Nor Cal

Glad to have you on here finally man! Love the avatar name. Next we put those twin turbos on that car of yours!

17. chaddilac

chaddilac

Dang!! I dig those seats!!

18. Total Performance

Total Performance
    from Nor Cal

Thanks! I love em too! I'll drop some pics of them powdercoated for you, they look soooo killer.

19. Total Performance

Total Performance
    from Nor Cal

Pull that thing out man! If you need any help, drop me a line and i'll do what I can! Thanks for the post!

20. Total Performance

Total Performance
    from Nor Cal

Thanks chaddilac! From a guy with your eye and artistic talent that is a great compliment. Thanks for posting!

21. 30trad

30trad

So whats happening

22. mattrod68

mattrod68

got some pics from last night thought id throw them up

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

23. Total Performance

Total Performance
    from Nor Cal

Thanks Matt!

Matt and I were at the shop late again trying to mock up the body panels to email pics to a wheel company that wants to get on board. Hence the cardboard over the roller wheels.

Well, the front end is done and the shockwaves raise and lower the car evenly and really great, very happy with this at this point.

The rear of the car obviously is not set and will be the next phase of the project. We'll no doubt cover all of that in here as well.

It looks like were going to go with a 7" wide wheel on the front and either a 9 or 10 inch wide wheel on the rear. We'll know more as we get it all broke down.

Thanks for checking back!

Total Perf-

Last edited: May 31, 2011
  24. 30trad

30trad

whats happening we are waiting patiently

25. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

Patiently?? No ,way. I'm chomping at the bit!!!!!!

Dale

26. hhrTroy

hhrTroy
    from Burbank

Stumbled upon this thread.... you rock! Love your project! Don't tell anybody, but i kinda like Comets.....

Crazy thing is we are also building a Comet for SEMA!
    We are doing a 1963 S-22 Convertible (it is actually for my fiance'), but will unveil at SEMA.
    I have attached a couple of pics, I am doing a new version of the Coyote engine for it, similiar to the Raybestos truck we did last year, but different injection & a few new tricks. (mockup pic attached) GT-40 style wheels, bagged etc.

Totally not trying to hi-jack your thread, but we are both Comet fans, thought you would think it was interesting!

Only difference is........ we haven't started yet!!!!:eek: You are already on the home stretch.

The life of a hot rod builder......:)

Attached Files:

27. Django

Django
    from Chicago

You still haven't started yet Troy? :D

28. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

Is this the Rock Star club?

I see more of you guys on TV than anywhere else!

Good job on the GTO, guys. I swear I'm gonna swing back by firdt chance I get.

29. Total Performance

Total Performance
    from Nor Cal

Wazzup guys!

Were still rocking it hard on the PSYCLONE!

Quick up to date and i swar ill drop more pics up.

About a week after we posted it with the hood and fenders on the car, an all to curios car guy, who has a shop in close proximity to mine decided he wanted to "feel" the fresh paint in the engine compartment with out anyone around.....well, as he wiped his rough hands all over the most exposed parts of the front of the car, he leaned on the fender to molest the poor car's fresh paint with his damn rough hands scratching it. Not to mention, both of the fenders are simply placed on there with ease so I can remove and adjust them and the front suspension.

As I was working with Matt machining the bottom of the manifold to hide the MAP sensor for the elec injection, we heard a crash. Long story short the fenders both bit the dust and were severly scratched, as was the rad support and cowl.

Needless to say I was furious and ready to kill. instead of that we got to work re-stripping the damaged parts and getting back to where we are today.

BIG BREATH--

Great progress since then though..

I'll shoot you the update on the killer vintage style but also semi hi tech wheels we are using as well as the totally awesome suspension for the rear!

Until then, back to work!!!

Total Perf-

30. Total Performance

Total Performance
    from Nor Cal

Thanks Troy!

Your secret is safe with me, (and the other few thousand folks on here!)

Your project looks sweet! The comet is so different than most other cars in the arena that it resides. Thats why I chose it. Plus..its killer.

Give me a shout anytime about this thing, and yours too. I just got off the phone with Zane, he is my sounding board for alot of the build ideas. we'll have to shoot down and grab some grub and compare notes.

Total Perf-
    Aaron Cushman