Register now to get rid of these ads!

California black plates

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by steel rebel, Jul 16, 2011.

1. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Can California black plates '63 be used. I just picked up a pair in okay shape.

2. dave lewis

dave lewis
    from Nampa ID

If your car was made from 63 to 68. YOM = Year of manufacture.
    blue plates came in 69.
    Dave

3. Swifster

Swifster

As mentioned, only for models made from '63 to '68. And you need the necessary date decal on cars from '64-'68. If you're looking to put the plates on the T in your avatar, it won't work.

4. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

No I just wanted to know if YOM covered them. If they would be useful to somebody or were just wallhangers.

5. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

You can put black plates on 69s too as far as I know..

6. 65COMET

65COMET

My 69 Mustang had Black plates,bought it brand new. It can get confusing,a friend bought a 56 Chevy,went to change registration and the DMV took the Black plates,made him get the new style. ROY.

7. IWB

IWB

You can use those plates on 63-68-9 if you have the sticker for the year of your car.I think plates changed to blue & yellow in 70 or 71.

8. I own a 63 comet that is an original black plate car, but why is it that almost every earlier comet, falcon, ranchero that I see has black plates? My understanding is that 1963 was the first year for black plates. Did the DMV force people to change their plates?

9. LostHope

LostHope

youll have to call or go to ca dmv and see if they are clear and the numbers not being used! if so they are wall hangers....

10. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

according to the Cal DMV, 1970 was the last year for black plates and the first year for blue plates which means some 70 cars had the black plates and some had the blue plates. By 1971 all California cars had blue plates. So it's safe to to say that the black plates can be used on cars made between 1963 and 1969.

11. yup, you can use them under the YOM program as of july last year.......up till 1969 car, truck and trailer.

and to answer another question, yes california made you return you plates to get the NEW 1963 plates (or so I've been told) in 1963.

12. mmtoyman

mmtoyman

In 1963 california issued new plates to all vehicles, making the yellow plates obsolete. You were not required to turn in your old plates . As a goofy 10 year old I went around the neighborhoods with my radio flyer wagon, knocking on doors asking if people had thrown their old plates away. At one time I had over 200 pairs of yellow plates, some with vintage dealer frames, on one wall in my parents garage. eventually about 1970 they came down, after i'd moved out to make way for some new shelving.

13. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

there is a number you can call to verify if the numbers are already in use on another car. I found this number to be a pain in the ass when I had 20 pairs of black and yellows to verify. I found it easier to go to the DMV and stand in line. the bitchy lady behind the counter said they are only supposed to check 3 at a time or some such nonsense, but checked my whole list anyways.

no, I don't have any more good ones left.

14. mmtoyman

mmtoyman

A car today with black plates means it has been consistently registered with no lapses, since the car was originally sold 63-69/70 or when all cars were issued new plates in 1963. Hence black plates on a 55 chevy or 32 ford.
    Another interesting tid-bit is that they went through sequences much faster in heavily populated areas, than in more rural areas. You might be issued a black plate starting with a letter "y" in Eureka in 1970, but would be issued a blue plate in San Jose on the very same day.

15. Swifster

Swifster

1963 was the last time California replaced ALL license plates. In CA, the plate stays with the car. If you had a 1960 Comet, your yellow plate was replaced with the black plate in '63. If the car has been continuously registered since 1963, that car will still be wearing black plates. If the car missed a few years of registration and then was maybe sold. That car could have newer plates. It could also have YOM plates which in this case would be the yellow plates with a 1960 decal. Black plates are not YOM plates for an older car than 1963.

16. modelaman

modelaman
    from sunland ca

i have 1963 black and yellow plates on my 30 roadster, they are in perfect cond. I hope someday to find someone to trade for 1930 YOM plates.

17. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

that would be goofy. anyone with internet access can have 1930 YOM plates on thier A, the 63's on a 1930 is a much more rare thing to see.

not to mention the fact that your 1963 plates would not be able to be run on whatever car the person you sold them to planned on putting them on. they would not be DMV clear for several years or maybe not at all. you can not transfer current plates to another car, except for personalized ("vanity")plates.

I am assuming the vehicle is currently registered with the 63 plates. ??

18. NOOO!!:D ANYONE can have YOM plates, but to me blk/ylw '63 plates mean WAY more.......as the car has kept those plates through the years. I only had 1 car that had '63 plates (and sadly I sold it), now when I look for cars, that's a huge plus.

19. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Thanks a million guys. I knew I could count on you for the right skinny.