Register now to get rid of these ads!

UPDATE-Home made sand blaster

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by clintonvillian, Jul 16, 2011.

1. clintonvillian

clintonvillian
    BANNED

OK, so let me eat a little crow here(some of you guys were right). The plug is leaking (not enough to hurt anything, but it still annoys me), I'm going to stick a nipple in it with a cap, should fix it.

Pressure Test 1
    All the welds held at 140 psi the first trial run with water. (I had a few, 3-4), tiny leaks through the weld so i reground them and laced another seam around the cap.

Pressure Test 2
    All the welds held for both a water test at 140psi and an air test at 140psi. I let the water test set at 140 for an hour or so. I let the air test set at 140 for prolly 30 mins, then unloaded and reloaded to 140 psi prolly 10 times. No signs of leakage or failure.

Note: This pot will never see over 50 psi while I am using it because I have the addition of the high pressure at the nozzle. I did a bypass because running the sand at a lower psi through your hoses reduces wear and tear. I would have no problems running this at 90 psi all day long though as a true pressure pot.

Cost........... don't tell my wife.

Fittings and valves...............50$
    Spray Paint .........................3$
    Hoses and hose fittings........95$

Total................................148$

While I could have bought a cheapo for what I have in it, I think I have one hell of a sandblaster....... Pay attention to the hoses and fittings, The black ones are hydraulic hose with crimp fittings, the orange is a 200 psi air hose with crimped hydraulic fittings. I eat my money up on these hoses, but I have no intentions of EVER needing to replace them no more blasting than I will be doing.

I'm sure everyone will ask about the hoses being heavy, and they are heavier, but I've found them to be much more flexible than air hose/sand blast hose in the equivalent size, unless you go to the soft rubber hoses but sand would eat them up.

Pressure Reading At Compressor 140psi (maxed out, it says it will go to 155, but thats as high as I could get it)

[​IMG]

Pressure at the tank, just a hair off 140psi.

[​IMG]

Bubbles leaking at plug. I think I'm going thread in a piece of pipe(tack it) and then add an actual cap to help with this leaking and making filling easier.

[​IMG]

Finished Tank with hoses (still lack a fitting or two)

[​IMG]

Nozzle end (waiting for the ceramic tip in the mail)

[​IMG]

2. So you built a PA Blaster? Looks like the plans I have on the bench/

3. F&J

F&J

I have never seen a twin hose nozzle deal before. I live under a rock BTW

Can't see if you have a purge valve on the black hose that runs vertical at the back of the tank? My ancient TIP did not have one, and the mixing valve gets plugged up with moisture and I had to pinch that line to force the mixer clean. So I put a ball valve there.

have you tried it yet, I'd like to see it work :)

4. clintonvillian

clintonvillian
    BANNED

Yeah its the same as the "PA" or Frankentank built on here. I just used a good tank so I can run a higher pressure through it. I should have it running this week. Just need a few little odds n ends. I need a blasting hood for sure....

I also have to find filters for my mask. I have an AOS that I use for painting, but every store here local quit carrying cratridges for them....... oh well I'll try ebay.

5. 39 Ford

39 Ford

Glad you tested it , hope it works for a long time. Thanks for your honestey in telling us about your problems.

6. clintonvillian

clintonvillian
    BANNED

Well, in hindsight...... the best thing to do would be order some steel bungs. Thats what I would suggest to anyone building one. That's the right way to do it, but you have to work with what yah got. Next time I order from a company that carries some, I may get them and redo the filler neck...........or I may not....

But regardless If you do it use the bungs, and test.