Register now to get rid of these ads!

Cash was safe..

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cruizznn, Jul 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cruizznn

cruizznn
    from ohio

I stopped by the local State store the other day to pick up a couple of things and handed the clerk a 50 dollar bill. I noticed he ran it through this small machine where it went in one side and came out the other. Curious, I asked him about it. As I thought it was a bill checker. He told me that the counterfitters now have the correct paper to make money out of. This is the only place I ever saw one of these checkers, so I guess we have to beware of cash too now. The marking pens will be obsolete.

2. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Cash checking scanners are quite common these days. Up here they even scan $20s and $10 as well as $5 bills in some cases.

With modern counterfitting they are getting pretty good. They still can't get the security features hidden in the bills right though hence the scanning.

3. ONAROLL

ONAROLL
    from Oklahoma

what is a state store?

4. yoyodyne

yoyodyne

Some are bleaching the ink out of $5s and reprinting them as 50s and 100s. They can't change the watermark, though. I believe the scanner is faster and more sure than the clerk holding it up to the light and checking each bill.

I you want to check w/o the scanner, make sure the watermark picture is of the same guy that is printed on the front.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2011

5. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Back when I lived in Iowa, the state ran all the liquor stores. Maybe Ohio does the same. Damn fine revenue stream.

6. Same thing in Alabama where they are called ABC stores (alcoholic beverage control board).

7. joe_padavano

joe_padavano

VA and NH also.

8. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

its all fake, we been off the gold standard since 1933

monopoly money, they just print what ever they want

Last edited: Jul 12, 2011
  9. bjs531

bjs531

I actually got a phony $5 in my change from one of the local firemens festivals about 6 months back. A fella must have to pass alot of bad $5's before it pays off. I told my FBI buddy about it and aksed him where I should turn it in at. He told me to keep it and frame it as a souvenir. I wasn't comfortable with that, so I gave it to the local PD. My wife manages a local grocery chain, and they get fake twenties on a weekly basis.

10. Pir8Darryl

Pir8Darryl

I've heard stories on the internet about people who get passed a bogus bill, and they call the police or FBI, and THEY end up being investigated!

11. rld14

rld14

PA too

12. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

do $50.00 bills have HOT RODS on them now?

13. rld14

rld14

Ya wanna get scared?

in 1964 a Silver Quarter bought a gallon of gas.

Today that same silver quarter is worth roughly the price of a gallon of gas.

14. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

I know..:mad:

15. I was thinking the same thing. Oregon and Kansas both had state liquor stores when I was a kid. Does Kansas still do that?

Aboput the only thing that they haven't done money wise these days is put the little magnetic strip in the bills. I don't doubt that someone can do that also. I mean if the govt. can do it anyone can.

16. 32SEDAN

32SEDAN

They should for what I've got in mine...

17. slammed

slammed

micro chip......I have seen pix of bills that burst after being put in the microwave.

18. Darryl,
    I have heard that in real life. A fella I worked with took some cash to the bank and one bill was bogus. The bank informed him and he had visitors waiting when he got home. :eek:

We pulled the strip out of a bill when I was still working. Looked like a stread, you could see it when you held it up to the light.

I should say someone did when I was still working but I can't remember who it was, must be the drugs.

19. phukinartie

phukinartie

Washington state has state run liquor stores too Funny I dreamed about getting bogus bills last nite....In Mexico they have some sorta lites that sterelizes bills too

20. Deuces

Deuces

If not, they should! :D

21. 5window

5window

I will gladly take all you your "fake" US bills-at least the ones one real paper. Just send them along! Native Americans used wampum shells, 17th century Dutch used tulip bulbs, it works as long as everyone agrees on a basic value.

PA has state liquor stores for beer and wine, then "beer barns" that will only sell by the case (not much sense in buying less than a case is there?) and if you want a single or 6-pack you have to go to a bar, or a selected grocery chain.

Now, the brilliant current legislature is considering selling the state stores to private concerns. 1. Ever see a liquor store go out of business? 2. Ever hear the tale of killing the goose that lays the golden egg

22. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Oh dont get me wrong,,they still work..but have nothing to back them up..and are worth a shit load less each day
    soon enough the floor could be pulled out, and you will have a lot of green toilet paper

23. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Beaner, in Kansas you can run a liquor store as long as you have a license to do so, and play by the the state's rules (taxes, hours of operation, location, etc.). There are still a few of what are called "private clubs" which are basically bars that you need to have a membership card to get in, or a buddy with one.

24. aaggie

aaggie

You have to love Texas and Louisiana. In Texas you can buy alcohol in the grocery stores after Noon on Sunday and in Louisiana they sell hard liquor at the convienence stores and gas stations. They have drive through Daiquari (SP?) stores that get around the open container laws by tapeing the straw to the lid and handing it to you as you drive away.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.