Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 302 ford water pump problems

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by OldBlueOval, Jul 11, 2011.

1. OldBlueOval

OldBlueOval
    from Upstate NY

:( Looking for some help and information on a water pump for a 302 ford. I rebuilt this motor 4+ years ago and put it in my 53 ford pickup, I thing the motor was a late eighty's vintage.Serpentine belt Eng. I change the front timing gear cover to I think a seventy's year one the ordinal one was in ruff shape also running side mount fuel pump in this cover .I put a early cast iron water pump on all bolted up well there are two more bolts in this style pump near the port area. After I started the motor I had no water flow? Found out water pumps turn counter clock ways!! on a serpentine belt set up. So off to the store tear everything apart get a water pump for 1987 302 serpentine year and it do's not fit the housing correct water ports different and two less bolts. So Question #1 is their a water pump that will bolt to this earlier housing that is serpentine belt style. #2 do I half to upgrade the housing can I still run a fuel pump? is this housing OK to run?? I think it went together OK? gasket it back to the block. Or do I have to change that also? I think there are after market belt setups but big dollars and money is tight! Any help would be appreciated Thanks Joe

2. 460stang

460stang

we did something like this before, what we did was take a piece of string and run it around the pulleys and go around the water pump the other direction changing the routing and matched up a belt for it. i dont know if that will work for you on your set up or not..

3. OldBlueOval

OldBlueOval
    from Upstate NY

Is there a newer year housing that will axcept serptine style water pump and fuel pump? back up for the night guys!

4. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

85 mustang had fuel pump and serp belt

5. R Pope

R Pope

'82 LTD had serpentine belt and fuel pump,with a normal rotation pump, but I don't know if it will fit your timing cover or not. Ford is not big on mixing parts!

6. 61falcon

61falcon

if your running a V belt, look for a timing cover from an early ford 302 or 289. the dipstick tube will be in the timing cover. im running a newer roller 302 block but have a timing cover and water pump from a late 60's mustang. my block has a hole for a dipstick that i plugged and i am using the dipstick in the front cover.