Register now to get rid of these ads!

Is old age creeping up on us???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Redbows35panel, Jul 10, 2011.

1. SLCK64

SLCK64

Eleanor got better with the new Gone in 60 seconds, IMO.

And not WILL, it HAS, so to speak. Two different plots in those. Me personally I LOVE AmerGraf and Two Lane. I hate gaudy paint jobs, fart cans, neon lights and useless switches.

I have enough trouble trying to keep cars classy on another forum Im a part of for my OT car(2001 Pontiac Bonneville SSEi)

2. 1gearhead

1gearhead

Creeping up hell! In the last two years it has hit me like a runaway freight train. One heart attack, two bouts with congestive heart failure, one bout with pneunimona (sp?), quadruple by-pass surgery (with complications). This last year has hit me hared. I am still working at my shop and am building myself another car, a 1928 Model A Roadster Pickup with BBC, M22, 9" and full fenders. Just want to finish it and go for a ride before I run out of time.

3. wetatt4u

wetatt4u

I'm glad someone else said something about this

and the heat

and the age ,

I was thinking it was just me and was keeping my mouth shut ,

so I wouldn't look like a puss...

4. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

go work on your car sonny ......and ... and get off my lawn

5. SLCK64

SLCK64

Made it sounds like we shoulda just taken ya behind the barn lol . Keep wrenching, get that car done!!!

6. dirty4

dirty4

where can I get mag wheels for a jazzy chair?...hmmmm pin striping on the oxy tank, candy orange paint job w/some pin striping. could work ok.

7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I saw all ages at Billetproof last week but I think a lot of the the "local" shows tend to draw their own group of participants.
    Some shows are mecca for the region's trophy hunters but may not be popular with guys who think that the availability of adult beverages and or live music are a requisite for attending any car related event.
    And in the case of the event that started the thread that the older guys in the area had the time and money to go while the younger guys were at work or working on their cars or had something else going on. Or there was an event in the area that drew most of the younger guys but didn't appeal to a lot of the older guys.

personally I'd rather see more loosely organized meet at some spot and go for a ride events with a couple of stops at interesting places and a lunch stop before looping around to the point of origin. No poker cards, no entry fees, no awards and no sitting around for six hours in lawn chairs in a box store parking lot. Just a leisurely paced group cruise over some easily traveled two lane roads that don't have excessive grades or high traffic levels.

8. the "kids" are out driving them. ;)

9. SuddenDeath

SuddenDeath
    from Florida

Took my car to a local gathering yesterday afternoon. Got some funny looks from both young and old. Most of the older guys didn't care for the noise and all that goes with a car barely streetable and the younger ones were amazed that an old guy was driving a car that scares people. It was great. The young guys were eager to learn all about it though, wanted to know the history, looking under the car, the hood and inside asking questions. For the most part, the older guys ignored it.

One of my wife's high school students was there as well. He loves cars and has spent some time over at the house wanting to learn whatever he can, so I try to spend as much time as it takes to explain things, showing him how things work and letting him get his hands dirty. Wouldn't trade the experience for anything and I've grown to know that its times like those that he'll remember for the rest of his life.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2011
  10. Harms Way

Harms Way

Just a few things I have learned in my life,..

1. This ain't no dress rehearsal.
    2. There is no guarantee of tomorrow.
    3. No one gets out of here alive,... (thank you, Jim Morrison)
    4. Life is like a vapor that rises up and is gone,...
    5. Never love anything that can't love you back.
    6. Every man has his moment in the sun.

The fact is,... the material things we put such a huge priority on, will in fact belong to somebody else someday, it may stay the same, it may be destroyed or dismantled. Our leaving this world will have no effect on it whatsoever, and even though we may have built it, designed it, maintained it, and babied it. It is just something were leaving behind. Not unlike the previous owners of those very same cars, that we built our dream out of.

It's the people in our life's that love us, that will be missing us, They will think of us working on those material things, possibly sharing time with them on it... when they see our car (or cars) they will think of us,... those close friends that we share this hobby with. will also think of us with fondness and miss us,.... ( I hope)

The most important thing we can leave behind is family & friends that remember us and rehearse the stories of our lives to those that are left behind,.. to enjoy there moment in the sun. I am a car guy,...But that is not the first thing on the list I would want my family & friends to remember me as,.... I hope they think of me as a good Son, Brother, Husband, Father, Grandfather (PaPa :D ), Christian & Friend ,..... then as a car guy.

There are two important breaths in everybody's life,... the first and the last,... It's what we do in between them that counts.

11. Laughed good at that.Haven't been out to the track with the car yet this year.TO DANG HOT!

12. SuddenDeath

SuddenDeath
    from Florida

Extremely well stated...x2 here. We often loose sight of the fact that we impact those close to us in some way each passing day.

13. As Larry the cable guy said,"inside every old person is a young one asking'WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED TO ME?'"

14. Hotrod1959

Hotrod1959

Went out in the garage yesterday morning about 8 am. (I was up at 5:30 am) I replaced the water pump and hoses on my 59 and I was done for the day. Thank God for naps!

[​IMG]

15. Clik

Clik

I hear alot of my fellow seniors knocking the young tattooed rockabilly types, some of whom drive "works-in-progress". Why alienate these kids? It's better they get their foot in the door with a cheap more door 64 than drive a Honda with a bean can muffler and spinner hub caps. My first cars were no prizes. So what they paint the wheels red and primer the bodies. That was actually TRADITIONAL. There were many cars like that back in the fifties/sixties in my old hood. These young folks may be the salvation of hot rodding. They are forming clubs, hosting and holding organized events, which proves they have an investment in the sport.

16. djmartins

djmartins

Yeah, but these kids have tastes that are very different than their elders!
    That's gotta stop!
    (as if every generation hasn't heard this....)

17. rixrex

rixrex

yesterday I take a bad step off the back of my big truck and break my freakin elbow in two places! I do skateboards, bmx, motocross, Hell I was a smokejumper! this is my first broken bone.. yeah, old age is creeping..guess I'm not made of rubber anymore. Did I mention the pavement i landed on was like 112

18. DrJ

DrJ

I just get back from a 20 mile bicycle ride and see this nonsense. ;)

Growing Old is mandatory (unless you die young) but Growing Up is optional!

Last edited: Jul 10, 2011
  19. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

"Aint this thread neat"???????---Everytime I play it---I forget!!---Then start over!!-----Can't remember what I was gonna' say!!!

20. Skankin' Rat Fink

Skankin' Rat Fink
    from NYC

Young guys are priced out of the market, or laughed at when we settle for 4-doors.

21. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

The new breed show up at our local drag strip on tuesdays now instead of sunday. They open the hood and tinker with the engine,pop the trunk and remove all their tools,spare tire and slicks. Then they remove the passenger seat "it slides out now instead of unbolting it" put the slicks on and go have fun. Sound familar? They beat on them and flog them. Nothings changed except the metal and the shape of it. Just doing the best they can with what they know. Just like us.;)

22. tex34ford

tex34ford

we spend the first half of our lives worrying about what's happening below our belt and the second half worrying what's happening below our belt for way different reasons.

23. losthubcap

losthubcap
    from Upstate NY

Its just the passing of the torch. I'm sure its a similar feeling the earlier hot rodders felt when the inliners were replaced with the new V8 motors. This younger generation is much more into computers / video games & cars from japan, that sound like a vacuum cleaner on steroids, and all the bling that they can imagine. I don't like it, but "time waits for no one" All we can do is remain as pockets of resistance within our hobby. I think you are right on, in your observations. We are slowly becoming extinct. On the upside though, theoretically, prices on everthing we like should be dropping proportionately, as there is less interest / demand for old cars & parts right ? If I live long enough, maybe I'll find a 32 Ford cheap !

24. artandmaureen

artandmaureen

I was just in columbus for the gg show and i tell you what there was a big mix of people i am only 31 and i have been going to shows a long time and, I have never seen so many car seats and people my age in a long time. The big thing is it takes money to put a car on the road.

25. Paul

Paul
    Editor

yes we are all getting old, or at least older, no doubt about it.

but I'm not sure of the correlation between getting old and only old participants at the show you were at

I don't think the show you describe will attract the younger side of the hobby,
    unless they want to learn how to fit that stereotype

26. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

Bury me in my hot rod.

27. your only as old as the girls you feel... or something like that.

28. fleetside66

fleetside66

I was at the Antique Truck Club of America annual (national) show a couple of weeks ago & I think there were about 2 people there that were under 70, not 50. And those were grandkids that were there to be baby sat. In about 10 years, there going to be a flood of antique trucks on the market. We're approaching the end of an era (but what an era it was!).

29. Yeah, I have been noticing this for some time now. I remember back in the 70s I would ogle at all the pretty girls at the car shows riding beside their young guys. Now all the girls are large old ladies and the guys are fat old graybeards. I seldom take my eyes off the cars now cause there ain't nuthin else to see thats enticing. Guess I will have to go to a ricer meet to see pretty girls again. No offense intended to anyone...cause I am a fat old fart too.
    And yeah, the heat and cold do hurt a lot more now than it used to.