Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Hey you guys, how about some paint scheme help!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by modified, Jun 26, 2011.

1. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Whoops, missed this, there you go!

2. yep.....

having said that, as mentioned earlier, different tones suit different shapes, there's a time and place for everything, the only sure thing is gloss black...on gloss black....on gloss black.

Me? I'd go gloss black with ox blood maroon rims/trim detail.........

Cheers,

Drewfus:)

3. darkk

darkk

Satin black and flamed...

4. haychrishay

haychrishay

Ditto!

5. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Daytona blue ................

6. haychrishay

haychrishay

Ok, one more idea. The color that is on my truck in my avatar with either cream or gold wheels.

7. bigking

bigking
    from Ct.

Hot rod flatz gold, black chassis, hell yeah!

8. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Even better, That Cardinal red I was talking about, ('56 chev commercial color, I looked it up) But change the metallic silve under pinnings to Parchment white... just not too white! Oh, firewall too.
    The Porsche India or signal red is a good color, but every street rod from 1978 through 1991 was painted that as kind of a "go to" color. Hell, every VW on the west coast too... Just too common.

9. Rehpotsirhcj

Rehpotsirhcj
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

How about candy apple red? Its an eye catcher and traditional.

[​IMG]

10. modified

modified

Chip, How would you compare the Porsche red to the Cardinal Red?
    I looked it up and got the paint code #'s.
    Auto Color Library: '57-'58 Chevy Commercial 714A/749 #70704
    If you select chevrolettruck '55 you find Cardinal + Radient & bright red as well,
    (last two look darker.)
    And maybe Bombay Ivory?

Last edited: Jul 10, 2011
  11. Bigbillyrocka

Bigbillyrocka

I've always like these in OD green with some faded or "rubbed" off cream white stars on the doors.
    Or do like pepsi blue metal flake.

12. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

The Porsche red is the "reddest" red I have ever seen. Like I said, every car between '78 and '91 or so built in the western states was Posche red. Hell, I even owned a "Indian red" (the non P.C. old terminology for this color) bug at one time in the eighties, and you know my paint phobia as well as anyone. Stop by and we can puruse the library around here and I'll show you what I mean. The cardinal red is just a few shades more to orange. I don't want that to scare you off, 'cause it is definitely red, just a bit brighter. Without a doubt my favorite red. If you look at fifties Chevy commercial brochures every one had a Cardinal red truck in it. That and a just slightly off white would put you in late fifties or early sixties territory paint wise. Another one that comes to mind too is '55 or '56 Buick Seminole red. Back to a redder red with that one, and back to non P.C.!

13. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Hey, how about a Ford Rangoon red like a certain low milage dumb old Maverick running around town?

Attached Files:

• 900.JPG
      900.JPG
      File size:
      334.8 KB
      Views:
  14. Please don't paint that truck red. It's like a sin, just worst.....Great Scott man don't do it......something neatral that will make it stand out in the crowd from all the other cookie cutter/red ones.......please....I'm begging you.....Really, its your truck, do what you want, but RED?

15. mastadon

mastadon

First of all it has to be shiny,that said go with greys,olive green or tan.No metallics or reds,yellows, oranges you know what I mean.Let the truck speak for itself,it does not need some gawd awful look at me paint job,there are enough of those out there.

16. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I did find my '75 Nason color chip book that goes back to about '68 or so.

17. modified

modified

Back to Gloss Black?:eek:
    I don't know.....sooo many colors and so little time!

Last edited: Jul 10, 2011
  18. modified

modified

Neutral to make it stand out in a crowd?
    That's kinda ironic isn't it, but interesting!

19. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

PPG used to have a single stage deltron urethane called HOT RED. It was a standout red. Lippy

20. Clik

Clik

Let your woman pick the color and your parts budget might increa$e. :D

If you are in a hot climate and don't have A/C you might consider a heat reflecting color.

Maybe some dark color over the hood to relieve eye strain in the sun. It could be graphics, flames or a wide stripe.:cool::cool:

21. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Not a bad idea on letting you female pick the color! At least yours isn't insane like mine! Neutrals, black and O.D. and stuff is just too demure for a hot rod truck. If you were building a late forties kinda flatty powered car with 16" steelies and stuff it would work. But your little truck is pretty close to right for a late fifties or early sixties build with it's channel and chrome wheels and stuff. By that time, if you look at some of the color photographs from shows, a couple of things were popular. Bright colors were in, yellows, reds, oranges, warm colors like that. White was used as a detail colors lots in lue of chrome in some cases. Pastells were kinda big, with light blue being a biggie. By '62 or so, metallics, candies, and metalflakes got going in a big way. I wasn't there to see first hand, but I own damn near every bit of liturature out there on hot rods and customs, and this I pull from years of looking at these things.
    Some one up the line suggested a fine metallic root beer brown color... HHHMMMMM

22. Theo:HotRodGod

Theo:HotRodGod

I vote for neptune green split with cream!

23. Monte Hendrix

Monte Hendrix
    from Oklahoma

do a gold base painted over with candy blue with silver scallops

24. blt2go

blt2go

an understated (color-wise) vehicle that is well built with attention to detail and design wins out over flashy paint every time (to me anyway). think clean and classic. i too like the neutral colors, but with that said if the body work is right you just can't go wrong with gloss black and subtle pinstriping. good luck.

25. modified

modified

Has anyone delt with TCP Global for their paint? ( The price is right!)
    I'm looking at Acrylic urethane single stage- 1 gallon of paint, hardener,
    reducer all for $119.00.
    My local Auto paint store wants $256.00 for OMNI.<!-- google_ad_section_end --> <!-- begin adsense --><!-- end adsense --><!-- / message -->

26. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Craig Smith painted the "Liberace" with TPC Global from start to finish. My little pretty metalflake gold Honda chop... TPC global done by Craig. Good stuff!

27. gassercrazy41

gassercrazy41

i vote blue with silver scallops.

28. 1956 chevy had a good color combo laurel yellow and crocus green chose one of those and do all the underpinnings in a dark machinery grey you could use black as your highlite color :)

29. donkeyfarm

donkeyfarm

I've been thinking about painting my coupe that Navy Ship gray with a semi gloss black frame and wheels.

30. donkeyfarm

donkeyfarm

I've been thinking about painting my coupe Navy Ship gray with a semi gloss black frame and wheels.