Register now to get rid of these ads!

any 64 chrysler 300 guru's out there??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chadman, May 26, 2011.

1. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

2. chadman

chadman
    from illinois

got the tach working well today! There is a sticker on it from a radio and speedo shop in Chicago, very crappy made tach, but it does work! and man is this a fast reving car, it like a 302 chevy, it can go from idle to 5k in like no time! can't wait to get it out on the road as soon as I get the brakes fixed!

3. chadman

chadman
    from illinois

going through the brakes now, man, what was up with chrysler and the rear drums, have to have a special puller ot get them off! I found one from a local friend, but still haven't taken them off yet!

4. overthehill

overthehill

one of the best improvements you can make is to put the electronic distributer kit in it.

5. LMS1

LMS1

Hey chad. 60s mopar brakes were a joke. just finished redoing the 2 year only budd front discs on my 67 imp. came thisclose to cutting everything out and grafting on anything else but ultimately I prevailed (actually my wallet did!)

As far as that 300, I'd hold onto it just because, as mentioned previously, its so cool it was ordered to go fast. If you think it's fast now, bolt in a factory 3.91 posi and get a new set of rear tires every 2500 miles.

Good luck on the brakes. Try Atlas obsolete, rockauto and even NAPA for brake parts. Don't forget your wallet for Atlas but they're good in a pinch.

btw, the oblong(oval) steering wheel in your pic is prob worth a few hundo to the right collector as most are cracked.

6. The Pont-au-Mousson 4-speed was a one-year only transmission, in the 1960 Chrysler 300F. They are exceptionally rare.

BTW, that '64 300 would definitely be worth restoring/building. The '63 and '64 Chryslers were not the belle of the ball in those years, but they are attractive in their own right

7. chadman

chadman
    from illinois

I think they must grow on ya! This thing at any angle is butt freaking ugly, but then it grows, then they wicked reving 413 and the 4 speed make you want to just kick some ass in it! I think we are going to keep it for a while, the hub on one rear brake came off, but the other side is being a pain in the butt! I think a little heat and the puller and we can get it off!

8. Pre-K

Pre-K
    from Ventura

I had the same vehicle, only tan, with black pin striping, less rust, and every option except the cross ram. It was my father-in-law's ride. He was a Pac-Bell employee, in charge of security (which explains the phone-tapping equipment I found in his garage). I was working at an advertising agency in San Francisco, usually long and late hours, and I lived in Palo Alto. The 300K at 100mph was excellent after work/after the bars therapy. This was the 1980's at 2AM, a different era...

As I was going to NYC, my future Mini Cooper was a better in-town car, but that 300K was massively satisfying to own. Striped down or fully optioned, it was your own flying living room, and made you feel at home long before you ever got there!

Now that I'm in SoCal, I wish I still had it!

9. 58 Hemi Fury

58 Hemi Fury
    from NY

I own the same car as you except mine is rusty as hell, you are right there were 82 made and according to the 300 club 14 are accounted for, mine is number 15 to turn up and if your car isn't registered with them now it's number 16. My car is also white, black gut, 413/360 HP single 4BBL, low optioned (ps/pb/4 speed, remote drivers mirror, rt fender mirror, no a/c, no power anything inside, base radio). If you go to this site you can get more info on it. http://www.simplexco.com/auto/1964/1964k.html . They aren't worth a hell of a lot (compared to earlier 300's and other finned Mopars) but it's a rare car that is not expensive to maintain and eventually will be worth a lot.

10. chadman

chadman
    from illinois

wow 58 hemi fury! thats cool, do you have any pictures of the car?? I have seen that info on that site, I have not registered it yet, but plan on doing it soon, I have a feeling these will become kinda collectable soon, its is just a cool striped down car, do you know where yours came from originally??

11. chadman

chadman
    from illinois

well the chrysler made it to its first show this weekend! all mopar show, alot of mopar guys couldn't believe this car was built like this! It drove and ran as it was a brand new car, 70mph just cruizing! car is damn fast off the line, but top end has to be 140+ I had it up to 100 in no time on the highway! I am a new fan of early 60's chryslers! here is a recent pic of the car all cleaned up!

Attached Files: