Register now to get rid of these ads!

seized bolts limited workspace

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1964countrysedan, Jul 9, 2011.

1. 1964countrysedan

1964countrysedan
    from Texas

I need to remove two allen head bolts on an off-topic car that hold the a/c compressor. They have a 5/16 allen head, about 2 inches long and are in a blind hole in a casting with very limited work space.

So far I have tried PB (no good ref blind hole) with a cut allen wrench and socket. I have broken 3 sockets but have been lucky not to round the heads. I have tried light tapping on the bolts and even tried slightly tightening to "loosen" the bolts. These bad boys will not budge.

I suspect some of you wiley shop guys know a trick or two that may help.

Limited work space!

Additionally I have not tried the purchased 5/16 allen driver with a 3/8 driver.

Thanks for your help
    Rodney

2. try soaking them with a little WD40 and applying a little heat to the housing (not the bolt) work the bolt backwards and fowards once it starts moving until you get them free. Its typical that the tight bolts are always the ones that are hardest to get to huh!!

3. silentpoet

silentpoet
    from NWA

Yeah, heat is what I was going to suggest. And while cussing might make you feel better it doesn't make the bolt budge. But I do that too when things ain't turning right.

4. heatmiser

heatmiser
    from mia

good chance there is some type of thread lock, so heat would free them up fairly easily... also, i've noticed that sometimes they break free w/ a tightning motion and loosen up easily after that.... ahh, just noticed you tried that!

5. F&J

F&J

Probably not enough room, but hit them as hard as you can. Either with a perfectly flat punch or better yet, the allen socket if you get one.

Also, "pulling" on the tool won't work as good as a quick smack on the wrench or breaker bar.

If this is an aluminum part, it could be seized with corrosion.

6. 37gmc

37gmc
    from upstate ny

try warming it up, have a candle ready when warm melt the wax around the head ,it will wick down the bolt let it cool some then a impact driver with socket if there is room

7. rodknocker

rodknocker

It kind of sounds to me like you're spending an hour to save 10 minutes, Are you sure some other components don't have to come out first to gain better access. Sometimes its well worth taking all the other crap out to save damaging components. If not sometimes a dull chisel,and some patience, on the right edge will work out the bolt.

8. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

HEAT. Late model cars with Allen bolts tend to have blue or red threadlocker generously applied.

If you've engaged enough torque to ruin a socket, then something more than rust is holding you back.

9. 1964countrysedan

1964countrysedan
    from Texas

I appreciate everyone's input. I am for sure going to buy a good allen driver set. I have managed until now making my own buy cutting allen wrenches and using sockets when an allen wrench was tool short or clearance did not allow for rotation. I will apply heat, cuss, and see if I can remove more components for clearance. Heck, I already removed the grill to prevent damage form my leg (and allow room for fits that accompany making up new cuss words that involve a cheater pipe). The bolts are horizontal so I do not think the wax method will work, though I like the concept. I have already envisioned pulling the motor to set it up on a machine for bolt removal!

Thanks again. I will hopefully have an update Tuesday.
    Rodney

10. noboD

noboD

If it's OT, are they in aluminum? If so they are going to be a B to get out. If you have to cut the heads off, remove the AC then deal with getting the studs out. There should be more room to work then?

11. mysteryman

mysteryman
    from atlanta

if you cant cut off the heads of the bolts then take drill and drill heads off(drill in center where allen wrench goes use same size bit as bolt is) remove bracket deal with studs

12. Have you tried using an impact gun? Go foward and reverse over and over. Thats how I get out stubborn bolts. Good luck.

13. Impact driver, you know, socket on the front end into the bolt, and smack the back with a BFH.

14. Boldsmobile

Boldsmobile
    from W.Mass

Enough room to weld another bolt on top of it?

15. toddc

toddc

Buy the best allen key socket that you can find. Be sure that it is 5/16 and not 8mm (5/16 is 7.92mm) as that little bit will make a difference. Put it in there, apply a heap of torque with a breaker bar, and bash it as hard as you can with a heavy hammer along its axis, or if you can fit it in there rattle it with an air hammer.

If that doesn't work, put a .040 cut off wheel through the case of the A/C compressor and the bolts in one go and source a new compressor....

16. we got this tool at work for gettig siezed bolts out, its got a straight handle and a spring loaded jaw on the end. the tighter the bolt is, the tighter this tool will grip it. it'll get anything out (or break it off trying:D)

17. kustomrodder53

kustomrodder53

sometimes you can drill the head off. Pull the cast aluminum part off over the stuck bit, then you ought to have quite a bit more of the stud showing to put heat and or vice grips on

18. Lucky3

Lucky3

Two wraps w/primer cord, ignite and BOOM....bolts gone !!
    :D:D:D

(you've been given all the normal ways to loosen bolts)

19. 1964countrysedan

1964countrysedan
    from Texas

Thanks again to everyone. Today I bought a "GOOD" allen driver, heated the tapped portion of the mount, gave a 3/8 ratchet a whack. It worked on both. If this didn't work I was going to grind the old compressor mount away as Toddc suggested.

I should have known better than to attempt the socket and cut off allen wrenc after breaking the second one.

Thanks
    Rodney