Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 5/6-speeds behind traditional motors?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Slimegreeeeeen, Jul 9, 2011.

1. With gas getting spendy, I can't help but wonder if a 5 or 6-speed is worth the extra cost. Anyone out there successfully running a modern manual OD trans behind a vintage/ old school motor? I'd love to hear the pros and cons.

2. squirrel

squirrel

All the hep cats are doing it.

pecker head likes this.
  3. The T-5 is a real nice option behind a flathead. Nice smooth shifting, and the OD works good with the rear banjo gearing so you can drive at good highway speeds. The T-5 is not the strongest trans out there if you have a healthy OHV engine, but using some discretion without dumping the clutch or speed shifting will enable longer life.

The one problem with some of the modern OD trans is they are large size and fitting them can be tough. Especially the 6-speeds. Not only the frame clearance if you have an X-member, but also trans tunnel inside the vehicle.

I really don;t see much drawback to a modern OD trans. You get better shifting, typically stronger, and the nice OD for highway cruising. They just do not look traditional if you get way down and peek underneath. But driving and enjoying your hot rod is much better than what a trans you can barely see looks like.

4. panheadpete

panheadpete

I put a t-56 behind a 427 in my 69 Camaro using the Weir bellhousing and hydralic throwout bearing. Not only saves fuel,fun to drive but you can actually carry on a conversation at freeway speeds without shouting

5. gas pumper

gas pumper

38chevy454 is right on the mark.

I have a T-5 in my T roadster. I have a banjo 4.11 and a 283.

The T-5 is small enough so fitment is not a problem and it's actually smaller (width and height) than the TH-350 that was in there.

If you are never going on highways, an OD is not a problem. For me, I have to ride on the interstates to get away from the local area before I can get to two lane roads for cruising.

Before the OD it was 4000 @ 80, now it's 3000 @ 80. and cruising 60 mph is 2000.

I put 800 miles on the little car this week, ya need to be comfortable.

A little car really only needs a 3 speed + OD. So the T-5 is a little overkill, I rarely use 1st gear, but so what. It's there for pulling into the garage and starting off from traffic lites on hills.

Three pedals are more important than the looks of the trans, IMO.

Frank

6. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

I put an S-10 T-5 behind my 259 Studebaker engine in my 34 P/U. It came with a Stude 3 spd. It's much more fun to drive. I enjoy shifting gears to keep the engine in its power band.

If you go this way just pay attention to the first gear ratio when you are looking for one. Many are way to low for a V8 engine. Having the right gear ratios can make a big difference in enjoyability.

7. Tommy, Gear ratio for first gear is a great tip. Would you happen to know what would be the right ballpark for a V8? Thanks

8. art.resi

art.resi

I'm running a t56 in my 59 chev pickup with 3.55 gears. I need to go to 4.10s to use 6th gear (.5 to1)

9. 32coupedeville

32coupedeville
    from cincy

i am running a tremoc tko600 5 speed behind my 390 cadillac with a halibrand qc in my 32 coupe . i love it . but it was very pricy 2100.00 4 years ago. if i had it to do over i would do a 81-87 chevy truck new process 833a 4 speed o.d. my are cheap ( when you can find them) look like a muncie kinda, and are the same bolt pattern as a muncie. they hold up great to.

10. box50

box50

I'm running a T-5 in my 50 ford with a flathead. Drove the car on a rod run a few weeks ago went about 125 miles stop to put gas in my gas gage does not work so just stoped to make sure we had enough to get home, It only took 6.9 gallons of gas to fill it back up not two bad.:D

11. dirtcop

dirtcop

I have a T-56 six speed in my '40' Ford. I really like it. I won't build anything for the street without overdrive from now on. It just makes driving any distance so much nicer. Better mileage, quieter, and always the right gear for whatever speed - 0 to 100.

12. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

This post will be very helpful if you are thinking T-5

It identifies which T-5s have the higher first gear ratio and gives you the codes. You might want to print it and put it in your wallet while you are looking. I got mine free and just lucked out.

13. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Not quite traditional, but my '48 has had a Tremac TKO600 behind it's stout 360 for a happy 100,000 miles or so now... I would never consider building another car without overdrive, period. I went from a built 727 torque flite with a loose converter to the Tremac, and 80 or so (typical freeway speeds around here) went from about 11 mpg to almost 19! Not the real reason you would do something like that, but with most of my milage being state to state business travel, this thing has more than paid for itself a couple of times over in just bottom line. Not to mention quieter, higher top end, (runs out of arodynamics in the low 140's) and way, way more fun...

14. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I haven't used it yet but I have a T-5 set to go behind the 8-BA that I am still hunting for something to put it in. Most of the events I go to are over 150 miles away and hopefully that will help make things a bit easier for the flathead.
    The 254 flathead six that is going in my roadster gets a genuine 46 Ford truck (big) fourspeed behind it just because I got it for a right price from the guy who had it taking up space in his shop for the past 30 or so years. That one will probably never see any long road trips though. There isn't any real need to change from what it has now.

15. gas pumper

gas pumper

The weight of the car and rear gear has alotto do with what 1st gear is right.

I have the T-5 in the T with the 3.76 1st and the car is light enough to not need 1st.

I have the same T-5 in a C30 with a 350. 4.11 rear and the truck is heavy enough to need 1st gear every time.

OD is .72 on both. And the step from 4 to 5 is nice. If you get one of the super high OD's, it creates a big step that makes you really have to wind out 4 before you shift.

16. TDWZ28

TDWZ28
    from Michigan

I just got mine together. 34 2 door sedan. 392 Hemi, 3:90 rear gear. I put a Richmond 5 speed Super-Street, overdrive in it. 2:84 first gear, .84 overdrive. I didn't think I would use the 5th gear much, but I use it almost ever time I drive the car. I think it's a great way to go.

17. leroys85coupe

leroys85coupe
    from usa

i have a ford tremec tko 500 in my 57,havent drove it yet. but should soon. it was in my mustang and i loved it there. plus i wouldnt of been able to sale it these days, so i just kept it, besides when i bought it, it was still sealed in the crate from tremec, and for 1200 bucks w a pro 5.0 shifter thats an awesome deal.
    im thinking that with the standard od and the 3.25 gear in the rear, it should have a good highway rpm, so good i may even have to go with a 3.50 gear in the 9"

18. Deuces

Deuces

Anyone here using a T-5 with a 3.35 first gear ratio behind a 283 or 302 chevy motor???

19. mainline331

mainline331

I put a t5 behind a Ford Flathead six 226 in a shoebox with a 3.70 rear. I used a mustang gear box, as it has a more favorable 2.95 (i think it is- you can look it up) first gear. To do this, I did the s10 tailshaft/ top swap to move the shifter. WOW. I love it and am glad I opted for the mustang box (as opposed to the s10) as I dont think I would want first any quicker.
    Its great for a low revving motor, as I can keep moving through gears and keep it in its sweet spot. No exaggeration- I recently got 26.9 mpg on a 100 mile freeway trip! I couldnt believe it! Well worth the effort.....
    -James

20. wisdonm

wisdonm

With a 4-speed you can either have fun at the lights or cruise the expressways but not both. With a 5-speed you can maximize both worlds.

I have a 2,500 lb car with a healthy '68 Ford 302. It came with a 4-speed toploader, and I had to choose. Then I installed a Tremek 3550 out of a '93 Cobra R. I also use a period correct shift lever.

It has a 0.63 OD. I now run a 3.80 rear gear instead of a 3.0 and I'm in heaven.

21. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

I run an M5R2 5 spd behind the 351W in my '51 F-1, and I love it. Really makes the truck fun to drive. The '62 Monterey I am currently building is getting an AOD behind the 352 FE. As far as I am concerned, an OD trans is a must, but then again I live 30 miles from anywhere, and do most of my driving at 65+.

22. flat34pu

flat34pu

my little '34 pickup came with a 21 stud flathead and original 3speed, put a 8ba in with a t-5 and now the banjo has 3.54 gears.
    i have a blast driving it now.
    i would never put a stock 3speed behind a warmed flathead or even a stock flathead just to be traditional, if the t-5 was around in the '30 '40 '50 they would be traditional.
    and next time i will spend the money on the tremac trans because they are already built but mostly because of the shifter location options.
    rich

23. I've got a T5 behind my flathead in my '50 Ford...unbelivable difference!

Got a T5 behind a 350 in my '48 Ford.

Puutting a T5 behind a 322 Nailhead for my T coupe I'm building.

And a putting a T5 behind a 390 Caddy motor going in a '49 Ford Coupe.

As you may have guessed....I'm a big fan of overdrive transmissions :D

24. oj

oj

I stuck a 6sp tremec into a '66 chevelle and the big problem is the height! Muncies etc are not tall, most of the bulk is below the trans centerline (if that makes sense) while a tremec is split 50-50. So if you have existing floor be prepared to make a taller tunnel.

25. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

I ran a Richmond 6 speed behind a warmed over 454 in a Biscayne. With the 3:27 first gear and the .76 sixth gear, it was the best of both worlds. Kinda like running 4:11's around town and 3:08's on the freeway. The rear was a 3:42.

26. WHAT A SWELL COMBO!

I ran my 36 Ford with the stock tranny for years. Ok to putt around town but makes a racket on the highway.

I used a T5 in the 32 roadster behind a 49 flathead and it's the cats meow! Found the banjo rear out in a field and cleaned it up on the outside and changed the oil - according the the markings it is a 4/11 (?). Lot more fun to drive than the old box and I got another T5 on the floor ready for the next flathead project. Welded on an old style shift lever from Nastalgia Sid and it looks the part. Hope to upgrade it with a short throw shifter unit this fall.

Also, we picked up a T56 in Tulsa couple years back for my son's 90 Chevy with a warmed over 350. That's a dream combo too.

If we do another traditional project with a modern engine, this time, I'd spring for another T56.

27. I too run a five speed manual in my TT-BBC powered truck. I recently punched third gear and knocked off all the teeth which led me to rebuilding it and found these guys

Modern Driveline

There are plenty of Tremec dealers and most all are really good. These guys actually took the time to talk with me about repair parts instead of trying to just sell a new trans. They also have new T5 trans for as low as $1295.00

Check them out if you can

[​IMG]

I have the old 3550 TKO which is reported to not be all that great of a trans, and the proof I am told, is that I did break one. Well, three engines all making in excess of 400 hp and the current one with nearly three years of abuse and making 700+ HP, and nearly 80K miles on it, yeah it did let go. So they must be right :cool:

It's back together with new bearings and carbon fiber lined syncro rings. It shifts better than ever and is ready for more abuse.

Two projects in the shop right now are getting TKOs too. The 30 Sedan with the 371 Olds for Courtney using a Ross bellhousing adapter, and the 327 SBC with a TKO for Anthony's 32 3W.

I highly recommend the TKO!

28. spiderdeville

spiderdeville
    from BOGOTA,NJ

low power museum pieces are good for smogger era o/d transmissions
    don't bore yourselves to death

29. NuckinFutz

NuckinFutz
    from GA

I would look for a 96- up T45 from a V8 mustang. They are basicly the same size as a T5 and are just updated verisions that handle a little more torque. The shift very well too.

The t56 is a great trans also, But they are HUGE. If you don't mind cutting, They are a good option also.

IMHO, I would got with a t45, As they are basicly the same tranny minus a gear and cost about 1/4 of what a good t56 will.

30. squirrel

squirrel

Hi Jim ;)