Register now to get rid of these ads!

who is not driving their cars as much because of gas prices?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chevnut55, Jul 8, 2011.

1. 41 C28

41 C28

Don't have big "hot rod" motors in my cars. The price of gas is just part of the deal.

2. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

When I first got the '32 on the road it usually cost about $14-$15 to fill it up as I usually get gas well before it gets way down. Now, that same interval costs over $30 (and in the meantime I've retired and living on a smaller fixed income). Only recorse for me is to bite the bullet and "patiently" wait for the next election:eek::mad:

Frank

3. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

Yeah, that'll change the price of gas....:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
    Remember the summer of 2008? I guess not....

4. squirrel

squirrel

sell the cobra replica, buy gas with the proceeds.

Haven't driven my blown big block 55 since...yesterday.

5. Deuces

Deuces

Sorry! No hair dryers!

6. Deuces

Deuces

Limp wristed butt pirate???... Dat's funny... :D

7. henry's57bbwagon

henry's57bbwagon

I drive the wagon(408 BB, 5sd std/ 373 rear, loaded with pop up tent, chairs, etc) a couple of times a week, put gas in it whenever I take it out, 1.25$ / ltr around here today. No point having it if you can't drive it, unless you like to say "Oh I have bla bla at home"
    I was once filling up my 1500HD and this guy in his 30's asked about gas millage and I said I don't know, I just put gas in it when it needs it.

8. acj

acj

You did build it to drive did you not, or go out and look at it, my 46 dodge pu. gets about 12 mpg and I drive it a alot its FUN is it not.you have to feed them there ponys!!!

9. RAY With

RAY With

Many are cutting the number of events they go to and that works fine. People on fixed incomes dont have a lot of choice. I detuned my street rod and picked up a couple of MPG so we are ok but do have to pick and choose the events we really want to go to.

10. sgnova72

sgnova72

HTML:
    Gas no problem / Rain another story. What is with this weather?
    x2 The weather around new england is more the deterrent than the gas prices.

11. Gator

Gator

No.

I guess it's a passion for some of us, and a pastime for others.

12. speedwise

speedwise

F the gas prices, we buy/build 'em for the smiles per gallon, not the miles per gallon

13. Some great replies from folks I consider pals! To the OP, get over it.

14. Keep

Keep

sorta of OT but what burger joint you talking about? Still down at Pete's on hwy 2? I have been looking for a cruise night since the one up by me stopped!

15. Gman0046

Gman0046

I'm not letting gas prices keep me from driving my car. This thread reminds me of a guy I worked with who wanted to buy a Lexus. Changed his mind when he found out it ran on Premium Fuel. WTF?

16. Hemiman 426

Hemiman 426
    from Tulsa, Ok.

SLCK64,

In my first post, I stated that I didn't know what fuel he was running in the 55. If he's running a soft tune on pump gas, I totally agree with you that it's not worth running E-85 for a 50 or 60 cents a gallon saving.
    Now, if he's running a blend of racing fuel/pump gas, it could end up saving well over a couple bucks a gallon. Maybe that would be enough to get the shoe box back out.
    Yes, your mileage does drop, but, again, depending on how far he travels, and what performance he wants, it might be worth it.

Bill

17. Judd

Judd

Lack of AC has more to do with it. Is an air conditioned gasser traditional!

18. 49coupe

49coupe

My '49 Ford coupe has a 401 Buick, 4spd and 3.56 gears. I don't even know what the gas mileage is and we pay over $5.00 a gallon for premium. It's not the price of gas that's killing me. Just price chrome, paint, tires and USA parts including ridiculous import duties/fees in Canada. I work on and use the car as funds and time permit, which is not much these days with a newborn and 5 year old, mortgage etc.

My advice, just drive it and save a few bucks somewhere else. Many of my car buddies complain they have no $$, but they buy $1.50-2.00 coffees 3X a day, lunches, cigarettes and beer. I don't smoke, brew my own coffee (thermos), usually pack a lunch and drink a 6 pack a MONTH. Hence, I dont' worry about gas money for my coupe.

19. Fedcospeed

Fedcospeed

I built mine to drive as much as possible.I bust my ass working two jobs so I can maybe spend a bit more for gas but if I thought about the price all the time I might as well park it or sell it.I save my change in a can and next weekend will use that for gas money to go to Syracuse Nats.Maybe get a little creative??My desire for this stuff outweighs the cost.

20. 35mastr

35mastr
    from Norcal

Just my thoughts exactly. Why build a blown race car and expect sympothy here on the HAMB. WTF

21. Arominus

Arominus

I'm somewhat concerned about gas milage and i'm thinking ahead during the build process to get the most out of what i've got while still getting the performance i want. The 413 im going to run has a lot of quench and the cam isn't going to be crazy. I'm also going to run widebands and a hidden gauge so i can get the carb tuned in jusssst right. I figure if i can match a modern truck (14city 20 hwy) then im doing pretty well and i'm only getting as bad as the rest of the trucks i see everywhere :) hell my daily only gets 18/25 lol

22. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

Pussies... Thats who!

23. Boyd Who

Boyd Who

When I was in high school 30 years ago, gas was around .30/litre and I was making $2.55/hr. Today, gas is $1.05/litre (3.5x) and I'm making closer to $25/hr (10x). My wages have gone up alot more than the price of gas has, so I don't worry about it too much.

24. NuckinFutz

NuckinFutz
    from GA

I drove my OT gas guzzler fun in the sun toy today. I loved every 6mpg! If you ain't going to drive it, You either need to sell it or part it! Just my .02 worth. If you ain't going to drive them, Hang them on the wall where the rest of the art goes!

25. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

I am driving the 32 roadster less :rolleyes:
    Because I am driving the 32 3W more . :)

Most who know me ... know I am a road dog and LOVE to go.
    The wife and I have been racking the miles up on the 3W ... and the faithful, old standby roadster has not been out of the state this year. I get about 16 MPG on either one ... so both cost the same to operate. The roof, roll up windows and the A/C make the 3W the vehicle of choice this summer.

As a retired couple, we have the time and resources to ride ... so we do.
    It would be NICE for fuel to get back down less than 3 dollars a gallon
    but ... we are going to ride ... :D :D

26. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

I drive my old cars. I cut back in other ways.

27. squirrel

squirrel

found out a friend was going to the drags to try out his new mustang, so I drove up there in my 55. It's about 60-70 miles away. Beautiful drive, it looked rainy and was kind of cool out, but didn't get any sprinkles till I was almost home. Made a mess of the bugs on the windshield.

28. Gas is $2.20 a litre over here in NZ, that equates to about 8 bucks a gallon, its bullshit but what are you going to do the oil companys have got ya by the balls and they know it!! Rekon we should just get out there an drive the wheels off our cars cause its only going to get worse.

29. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

I only take my Tunnel rammed 283 up to 6000 instead of 7000

Gas sucks? Put in a 6 banger

30. HotRod33

HotRod33

So how much money do you have tied up in the 2 cars and your complaining about gas prices...... Sell the cobra... its plastic and drive the real car.......