Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Goodguys, Des Moines Ia. Heartland Natl's Friday pic's

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hot-rod roadster, Jul 2, 2011.

1. woodienut

woodienut
    from So.Cal.

[​IMG][/QUOTE]

I've been to Des Moines Good Guys a few time over the last 15 or so years and this picture just Freakn' KILLED ME!! Everytime it was hotter than HELL. God I've still got tears in my eyes! LOL

Thanks

2. woodienut

woodienut
    from So.Cal.

Are you kidding me! A Lincoln Zephyr WOODIE! Damn I'm really sorry I missed the show. Please post some pictures.

3. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Skeeter? I bought my Roadster from a guy in Sioux City. Never heard of him going by that nickname. Maybe the guy I bought it from got it from Skeeter? Would be cool to find out a little history ...

4. justabeater37

justabeater37
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have had the good fortune to talk to Skeeter a couple of times. Gotta love that guy and his passion for the sport.

5. hot-rod roadster

hot-rod roadster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Omaha Ne.

Hemi, Roadkillontheweb, Henryj429, Thanks for the pic's. Some very cool shots. Thanks to everyone else for your comments, remember lets keep the focus on the cars from here on out. Gary

6. dirtbag13

dirtbag13

i had a great time there ! was so hot on fri after setting up the camper i never ventured down the hill to the show ! went to oliver bros garage for a bit who were gracious enough to have us and hung in the ac for a bit ! bull came by the camper later that night for a few beers and to visit and took full advantage of the dog pool lol ! sat was a little cooler and had a great day , missed the meet ant greet but ran into master of none, malcom, and plowboy 13 , sun was perfect weather and saw bob k ! great weekend and always goes by too fast ! lots of nice cars

7. I frankly would like to see this fairgrounds you guys talk about. I was in MN and knew I was around 5 hours away for our annual family reunion. Maybe I can swing down there next year? Be worth it to pick on Kirk in person ;)

8. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

9. hot-rod roadster

hot-rod roadster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Omaha Ne.

I'd have to say St Paul Mn. and Springfield Mo.are 2 of the nicest fairgrounds around. Des Moines Ia. is very much the same only a little smaller. Gary

10. alchemy

alchemy

I'd say the Minnesota fairgrounds is larger and probably a bit nicer than Iowa's, but the Springfield fairgrounds is definitely not as nice or large as Des Moines. When I've been to the Springfield swap meet before the HAMB Drags, it seemed like lots of parking lot and only a little tree-lined grass.

The two events (shows) I mostly look forward to every year are BTTF's and DSM Goodguys. But I do really look forward to that swap in Springfield if I get to go to the HAMB Drags that year.

11. Hot Rod Hoodlum

Hot Rod Hoodlum

pm sent.

12. I like the Iowa fairgrounds...I appriciate ALL cars IF tastefully done. Ive seen every year of car done like "The Fonz" likes them, if you know what I mean. I guess the reason Des Moines has become overcrowded, is the fact that SO MANY people like it. If you like it, go, if you dont, stay home. Isnt it that way with everything? Personally, most guys I knew growing up as a young gun in my 20s were too good for us kids then, and now that they are getting up in the years and membership is in the toilet at NSRA, they need ANYBODY they can get to stay afloat. What go's around, comes around.........another good reason not to burn bridges behind yourself!

13. dontlifttoshift

dontlifttoshift

I have COMPLAINTS!!!!

First it was hot as balls on friday....probably cuz your getting bought out by the chinese

Second, the closer I got to Des Moines the more noise my buick made and then when I got to the show, it blew up! you greedy bastards didn't even have any knock-b-gone for sale in the building, which was so cold it made my nipples hard and put a dent in my t-shirt.

My efforts to take up a collection to buy the 4 wheel drive mustang for Jason Childress (former gravedigger driver and owner of Gateway Classic Mustang) and have him crush previously mentioned buick with it were thwarted.

And to top it all off I had to ride in Jason's mustang and do a hundred donuts on the autocross course. I'm still picking rubber chunks out of my ears.

It was so lame.......and if you're still riding with Rodger tell him it's always a spiky hair contest.

14. KIRK!

KIRK!

The fairgrounds is the best on our schedule.

I like being picked on in person!

15. KIRK!

KIRK!

I am soooo sorry. A full refund will be sent from "the Chinese".

16. dontlifttoshift

dontlifttoshift

17. haychrishay

haychrishay

Now that's some good stuff there !!!

18. hemi

hemi

Yackety Schmackety... Here's more lameness from the road:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. redzula

redzula

I really enjoy the heartland nationals everyyear. but the cruzing sucks. It is a real nice place for a cruize but you need to be able to move more than 5 ft at a time. There is a lot of room up on the hill at the Iowa State Fairgrounds but no one ever goes up there like it was haunted or something. I went up there when I first got there on sat. there was a pair of 32 3 win. at the top under the windmill but not really anything else. Maybe they should do a 2 shows a year thing. like scotsdale or del mar and do an early cars show and then an everything show. or some other variation of years but its getting to be pretty big for those grounds in one weekend.

20. henryj429

henryj429

Hemi, where is the old garage in the second picture? .....looks super cool.

21. dontlifttoshift

dontlifttoshift

That's "A Summer Place" It's north of INDY. It is one of the stops that HROTY participants get to go to. Oh, and its some dudes back yard and the diner is functional.....mmmmm burgers and fries.

22. dirtbag13

dirtbag13

i cruised the back side of the grounds everytime we wanted to head back up to the campgrounds ! indeed theres quite a bit of room not used ! got a kick out of the newly placed sign we went by every time called breeders hill ! told the old lady we should abide , she just laughed and rolled her eyes

23. seeya32

seeya32
    from emporia,ks

I heard thru the grapevine the Goodguys Iowa show will be at the race track in 2012. Hate to see that

24. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

That same rumor was going around last year. I highly doubt there's any truth to it... again.

25. dontlifttoshift

dontlifttoshift

Yeah, after 20 years at what is likely the best venue Goodguys has I really don't see them leaving.

26. redzula

redzula

at the end of the day on sunday they they made an announcement over the loud speaker that the rumors the show would be moving were not true and that they would be back for many years to come. that could always change but I'd say that at least for 2012 it will stay at the fairgrounds

27. Turbo Rocket

Turbo Rocket
    from Iowa

After Hot Rod Power Tour there is no way I would go if they moved it out there. There is no shade, and it took a half hour of standing in line to get food, and half the stuff they were out of.

28. hemi

hemi

You heard wrong. It's that simple.

29. harponi

harponi

Well said.