Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ford Engine Experts, I Need Your Help!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by '59Edsel, Jul 6, 2011.

1. '59Edsel

'59Edsel

Hello everyone,

I've got a 1959 Edsel Ranger with a 292 engine and a Ford two barrel 2100 carburetor. Just last week I had my carburetor rebuilt by a professional who specializes in for 2100 carbs. But my baby still won't run right! I'm young and inexperienced, so can all of you look at the video I shot of me trying to get this engine going and tell me what you think the next step would be in getting this thing purring like a kitten? I'm not sure what to look at next. Maybe some trained ears and eyes can tell me someone mine can't.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZW5RE7ADrc

Thanks!

2. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

Since it will run for a bit and die, and repeat, have you checked fuel delivery up to the carb? Looks like a clear fuel filter on there, can you see gas being pumped thru it while it's running? Might need a pump or filter, or the system cleaned out- has it been sitting for a long time?
    Also sounds like she might like a valve adjustment

3. Did you check your fuel pump? Fuel lines? Sounds like it's running out of gas. Those external oilers for the rockers have got to go.

4. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

Systematically isolate the culprit. From what it sounds like, sounds like the carb may still be bad, like the float, along with needle and seat are not up to par.

The first thing I would do is set the choke to a fast idle and half closed. Don't give it any gas and see if it runs any longer. If not, then try removing the fuel line at carb and with the line feeding an empty jar, attempt to crank the engine and see if the fuel pump is delivering a good stream of gas to carb. If so, carb is still not right. If not, then try removing the fuel line from tank at fuel pump and substitute a small gas can with a pickup hose and see if the stream is any better. If so then tank or lines are clogged. If still no stream then fuel pump is probably bad.

Hope this helps.

5. '59Edsel

'59Edsel

Thanks for all the information guys. I will definitely test out all these possibilities. Starting with the fuel pump (Which I bought NOS, maybe it was bad from the start)

6. 48 Chubby

48 Chubby
    Member Emeritus

Start it and run the revs up to about 2,000.
    If it dies quicker look for a fuel restriction-plugged filter, poorly vented tank, trash in the tank, etc
    If it keeps running longer then it is likely flooding and you need to reset the float level.
    Grab the coil- if it's hot relace it. Make sure the - wire goes to the distributor.
    Pull off the air filter- if it does a mite better then the filter is stopped up.
    Check every electrical connection you can reach.
    Then replace that damned starter drive (Bendix).
    Then let us know what you found.

7. railroad

railroad

I think it is in the carb. Cannot tell if it is loading up, flooding or running out of gas. You can pinch off the gas line where it is rubber and let it run. If it runs longer until the carb is empty, I would guess the float level is too high or the needle and seat are not doing their job. This can also happen due to, too much fuel pressure, but if you have a stock mechanical pump, you should be good. As advised earlier, running off a separate fuel can and hose, will remove the tank, filter and pump. You can make it gravity feed. Be careful working with a gas can.

8. F&J

F&J

Sounds like it's running outof gas. It would not start that good if it was flooding out.

Do you have enough hose laying around to bypass the main gas line and tank? Run a remote can and hose to the pump. If it still does not help, I'd gravity feed the carb to eliminate the pump.

Real old cars stting around could be crap in the tank pickup, and it may be the type with a screen, which can plug.

how can you stand the starter? :)

9. HOT40ROD

HOT40ROD
    from Easton, Pa

A couple of question. Are all the vacuum lines hooked up?

were the idle adjustment screws set at 1 1/2 to 2 turns to start?

pull the air cleaner off and see if fuel is coming out the top of the carb when it is running. Check the two tube under the air horn next to the float side of the carb. If that is happening then either the float is set to high or the needle and seat are not seating.

Also after it shout down. take the top of the carb off and check to see how much fuel is in the float bowl. The float should be just about level. Take the air cleaner stud out and the screws round the top. lift it up a little bit and turn it on the choke rod. If the float is low or every little fuel in the bowl either the float is set to low or it not getting fuel.

I had one that ran just like that . It ended up that the guy pulled a pipe plug out of the intake. Installed a new plug and it ran fine.

10. '59Edsel

'59Edsel

I'm gonna try to look for vacuum leaks first.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2011
  11. '59Edsel

'59Edsel

Does anyone have any good tips for plugging up unused vacuum ports? I can't find anything to fit in the hole.

12. torino_Joe

torino_Joe

They make vacuum port plugs in various sizes,usually in a variety pack.They sell them at any auto parts store.

13. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

A piece of hose and a golf tee or screw.

14. George/Maine

George/Maine

If it starts with little gas down carb good.If you replaced fuel pump try running it off gallon can,short piece of hose and try it that way.

15. scrubba

scrubba

Uh el - cheapo plugs are made out of pieces of vacum tube with sheet metal screws shoved into them . To test a vacum leak.

Start car.
    Have can of carburator cleaner , spray at suspected area .
    see if carburator idle speed increases. If it does , ya gotta leak at that spot !

I know , I've owned too many Fix or Repair dailies ........... scrubba

Last edited: Jul 7, 2011
  16. '59Edsel

'59Edsel

Got it, I'll see what I can do with suspected vacuum leaks and go from there.

17. '59Edsel

'59Edsel

Bump for the weekend crowd, want to get as many people as possible to have a look see.

18. blackrat40

blackrat40
    Member Emeritus

It sounds very likely that it's a fuel supply problem.
    Probably (or "prolly" if you're young) a partially plugged up
    fuel line or pickup in the tank clogged with rust/debris, etc.
    Don't remove the external rocker arm oiler rig!
    Those Y-block engines always had a problem after about 50K mi.,
    with the oil feed hole from the center cam bearing,up through an
    offset slot in the head gasket to the rockers, getting hopelessly
    clogged up. That external rig is the remedy to keep oil going to
    the rockers until you do a complete rebuild and remove the old
    cam bearings and clean all the oil passages. Leave it there!

19. LostHope

LostHope

sounds like the same thing i said to you about fuel problem on the fordbarn and the others about vacuum so id say between the ford barn and here , check your fuel pump ,filter,vacuum leaks,if not that then your carb i.e. floats needle

first id take fuel line off carb like i said before and crank motor over see if pump and filter are getting enough fuel running through them ...if thats not the problem then would
    be time to check carb and vacuum leaks.. doing it this way you eliminate the gas tank ,clogged lines ,filter,fuel pump, then you can focus on carb ........ and heres a link to vacuum plugs that they sell at any auto parts store
    http://www.google.com/products/cata...=BgQZTu7NM4m8sAOdqOjJDQ&sqi=2&ved=0CCoQ8wIwAw

Last edited: Jul 9, 2011
  20. '59Edsel

'59Edsel

I'm going to try to do some trail and error this week. I'll keep you guys posted. Don't know what I'd do without you guys. Thanks!

21. tiquer

tiquer

Losthope has the right idea it is a shortage of gas not too much. If the floats or needle were bad it would be flooding not stopping quick out of fuel. Cranking over the motor fills the carb with fuel and the car starts but uses the fuel faster when running than the pump is able to deliver. Set your lifters up that thing sounds like a thrash machine.

22. Hemrod

Hemrod

The best way to check for a vacuum leak is to take the air cleaner off and put your hands over the top of the carby with the engine idling. if the engine speeds up you've got a vacuum leak if it slows down or stops you don't.