Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Modified Murray - Race to the road! Progress in Review!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scootermcrad, Jan 19, 2010.

1. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The car is about 51" tall with the roof insert in place. Plenty of room inside, amazingly.

At one point I had to take a detour through a shopping center FULL of speed bumps to get the trailer turned around when I missed the registration place. HAHA! D'OH! Was interesting watching the car move around. Wish I would have had the shocks on it. That's probably the last time it will see a trailer until I call AAA because I'm stranded somewhere... HAHA! :rolleyes::eek: Would have been nice to see how it did with the shocks on.

Thanks man! :cool:

2. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

As Brilliant of an engineer you are Scootie Tang that thing is still an early ford hot rod so it's going to similar charateristics right? I mean.....your kidneys are going to be punished no matter which way you slice it haha!!!!! I bet the extra length in wheel base will help a lot though. Looks so damn good dude!!!!!

3. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks bro! I really have no idea what to expect of the ride. The front suspension is pretty much in it's stock form, design wise, but the rear is completely different with the way I have it. The car is pretty heavy with a lot of weight down low. I have a feeling it's going to ride pretty good! I think I'm more concerned about body roll than anything and I still have a lingering thought in the back of my mind that I may need a Panhard bar out back... We'll see.

4. 29Jay

29Jay
    from Ft Worth

Scott, Thanks for letting me drop by the shop and kick it for an evening! It was great to hang with you and your lovely bride. You guys are the best! Surf Taco's were rock'n too! Wish I could have stayted longer... It was worth it though to spend an extra night on the road. Oh yeah, the car looked killer up close too!

5. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for kickin' it with us, Jay! Come back soon and plan to stay longer! Ton to do here and incredible places to EAT! HAHA! :D

6. retroridesbyrich

retroridesbyrich
    from Central NC

The car is looking great Scott!

7. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks Rich! Much appreciated!

8. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Quick update...

Little progress and a new camera.

[​IMG]

I'll solder this up this week, seal the tank, and make a gasket for the cap.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Every time I look at your interior I think the steering wheel should be on the opposite side. :D

That gas cap is a fine look piece. I love it!

10. Roadsterpu

Roadsterpu

Looking good Scoot. Feels good to have the paperwork finished doesnt it?

11. 29Jay

29Jay
    from Ft Worth

WOW on the new camera! I need to upgrade my pocket point and shoot one day...

BTW, I got my title and plates today at the courthouse. 100% legal and lagit...

Jay

12. ratster

ratster

just read 48 pages and some of the links. i killed a few hours doing it, thanks scooter. great builds, great car.

13. BashingTin

BashingTin

14. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Booo!! HAHA! :rolleyes:

I have very little to show for the LARGE amount of work I've been doing on sheet metal, but I'll try to get some pictures up later today. Focused on the cowl this weekend. Replaced the rotted out bead under the cowl band, filled the cowl light mounting holes, and did some straightening on the patch panels that I put in. Cowl is shaping up pretty nice, now. Spent a great deal of time on the rear panels below the rear window the previous weekend, but it was mostly just getting the panel shape correct. Not much to show. Workin' hard on body work now.

Oh... and in case anyone is interested, I'm going to put one of my 331's up for sale as well as the rear doors for this car.

15. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Have him bring it on as his carry on this October when he comes to stay with us for the week :D FYI, if you ever wanted to meet him then Good Guys Charlotte might be your chance to boogie with a real live McRad! Haha!!!

16. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Awww... It's just a crappy 331. Nobody wants these old Hemis! :rolleyes::D

And YEAH! Gonna' be headed east in October to hang with my North Carolinan brother! :)

17. BashingTin

BashingTin

18. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

19. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not bringing the car, unfortunately. Will still have a ton of bugs to deal with if it's even on the road by then. Working hard for October, but taking it much further than my own area would be a stretch. Would LOVE to see the Vicky though! Hope to meet up with you if you're coming.

20. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Okay, a little progress from this past weekend...

30/31 cowls often get rot in the cowl under the cowl band because of the water/moisture that gets trapped under it. SO! I had to address the rot on both sides up at the top.

[​IMG]

Had to make a filler piece, but I didn't have a 1/4" roller for the bead roller so I made a little more barbaric bead forming tool. A little plate steel and a 1/4" ball mill on the Bridgeport, weld up a smashing device, and we have ourselves a new useful tool. :D

[​IMG]

Used some scrap 18 gage to make up some repair panels.

[​IMG]

Cut out the old rotted out section

[​IMG]

Tack tack tack...

[​IMG]

knock down and file, file, file along with keeping the panel in control with a shrinking disk

[​IMG]

Little more shrinking, bumping, and smoothing, and it's lookin' good! Still more to do, but pretty close now.

[​IMG]

Here's the tools of choice for me to do this work...

[​IMG]

Other side wasn't as bad, but had more holes and the lower patch panel needed some more attention (and still does).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There still a TON more that needs to be done to that cowl. Obviously the whole area in FRONT of the cowl band has holes with tacks in them where the spot welds for the original firewall was drilled out and new tacked in place. Those have to be addressed as does the firewall itself. The firewall just needs a bunch of attention. Getting closer though, guys!

Next I'll finish up work on the firewall and front part of the cowl, then address windshield frame mounting, the passenger side door metal work, a few odds and ends, and then on to the rear lower part of the body. Still a lot more beyond that, but that's the rough game plan for now. Would like to see this thing ready for final body work and prep for primer by the end of August. Think I can do it if I can stay focused and not have any set-backs.

21. Right on Scott! That's the little shit that seems to take forever and makes one feel you haven't accomplished much with the time you spent doing it but make or breaks a build. Cool beading tool.

22. BashingTin

BashingTin

Doh! I thought for sure it was your listing because the seller is in your home town of Huntington Beach. My bad. :D

23. 35mastr

35mastr
    from Norcal

Really nice work Scott>

24. impalamark

impalamark

Just reading this through and there was a pic posted with a dash that had a row of knobs and there was a guess as to the origin .
    reminded me of an old pipe organ keyboard just sayin
    MArk

25. Roadsterpu

Roadsterpu

Looks great Scoot. Nice work.

26. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Unfortunately I can't get enough time off work to leave before that weekend. We will be coming in probably Monday the week of GoodGuys. My Wife has a photography class she is attending starting on Tuesday and plan to hit the not as friendly as it used to be sky the sunday have goodguys.

Thanks big man!

27. Awesome work, Scott!!

I really dig the whole build and the nail-biting as you sort of faded in and out a bit with your motivation.

I'm really glad you stuck with it, and the increase in your skill level over the course of the build has been inspiring to me.

I have been following this build intently and trying some of the tricks and tips that you have shared, but I am not progressing as well as I would like. Seeing your build continue (and a lot of the builds that I have been following) keeps me hopeful for getting a decent result out of my efforts with my son's Model T.

I'm super stoked to see how this all wraps up for you!

28. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey, thanks man! I appreciate the words!

Last night I took the passenger door off and was working on straightening out the door patch panel a bit. I did the patch panel some time ago. Was very frustrating to find I could have done a better job and now have a little work ahead of me to get it straightened out. Going to have to cut part of the lower back panel out of the door so I can get to the weld and patch panel to work everything straight. GRRR!! Everything is at the right height that I could just mud it, but I refuse to go that direction. Man... Doing it right is taking me forever. HAHA! :rolleyes:

29. cruzr

cruzr

Scooter........Picky picky......its a Hot Rod !..........:D

30. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Okay Mr. "I can't leave my already completely and awesome Model A coupe alone"! ;):D Oh wait... were you talking to the kettle??