Register now to get rid of these ads!

Noob from NW IL

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by LMS1, Jul 4, 2011.

1. LMS1

LMS1

Just stopping in to say hi and happy 4th. Beginning project turning 49 Coronet 4 dr sedan into an era appropriate taxi....just for fun. Got it as partial payment from deadbeat payer (I'm a builder) who knows I'm into cars. Runs like a sewing machine, showing 61k or 161 or 261???. Everything is complete. Interior near perfect except for front bench seat portion only. Needs passenger side front glass, both front floor pans (pinholes not basket case) and a paint job. All lights, turn signals and switches working as is speedometer. Brakes stop the car. Fluid drive(?) seems to function as it should. Decent set of wide ww hold air, not cracked. Body/chrome surprisingly good, rockers, rear pans, trunk pan and frame rails all solid. Needs a tune up but starts fairly easily. All locks, door and trunk handles function as new. Clock and factory AM radio need help.

This is the oldest car I've ever taken on, loving the simplicity so far. Just finished restoring a 67 Imperial Crown 4 door hardtop with budd rotors and calipers from hell, rest was a breeze.

I'm sure I'll be posting plenty of questions from time to time. Look forward to chatting with ya'all.

btw, my name is Ed.

2. CANS01

CANS01
    from Illinois

Welcome front East Central Illinois. Had a project up in your area that went from Mt. Carroll to Stockton. Been a few years but I remember the area well. Spent about 2 weeks up there.

3. low merc51

low merc51

Welcome from Southwestern Illinois !!!!!

4. Lost Creep

Lost Creep
    from Indiana

Hey Ed,
    Welcome from NW Indiana and a happy 4TH to you also!

Eddie

5. D ROD

D ROD
    from New Jersey

Welcome from NJ!

Good luck on that TAXI sounds cool!!!

6. LMS1

LMS1

Thanks all. Canso...that was probably the repave or the drainage redo of IL78 North. 78 is a pleasure to drive since that was done. Nice grades with a few white knuckle twisties thrown in for good measure. For even more fun, try the Elizabeth route sometime, pretty well marked with a couple of turns puts you within a mile of Elizabeth in the same mileage it takes to get to 20 in Stockton but 12 miles west. Bikers know the area well but the route is just as cool in your favorite rod/custom. Poopy's new digs in Savanna really put Carroll County on the map. Another thing to check out is our Cruise nights in MC this summer. The first one managed about 100 cars even though the weather looked dicey.

http://www.mytrain.com/cruisenews.html

Last edited: Jul 5, 2011
  7. 95stepside

95stepside
    from iowa

welcome from the other side of the river! dubuque iowa here, its less than 2 hrs from you if ya ever want some moral support...

8. artandmaureen

artandmaureen

Welcome from Thornton,il