Register now to get rid of these ads!

56 F100 Chop Top............ I NEED HELP

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by clintonvillian, Jul 2, 2011.

?
  1. 1

2 vote(s)
    6.9%
  2. 2

9 vote(s)
    31.0%
  3. 3

8 vote(s)
    27.6%
  4. 4

10 vote(s)
    34.5%
  1. clintonvillian

clintonvillian
    BANNED

From the looks of things chopping my 56 is a matter of cutting the Posts and dropping it straight down, not to big a deal. No sectioning required.

Everyone talks about the glass being a pain to get cut..........my dad cuts/engraves stone for a living with a sandblaster so i think i can cut it this way and not have any problems.

BUT I don't want to cut it if I don't have too (Time consuming and dad may not always be able to cut it for me if i need to replace it). I've seen guys mention sliding the glass into the top of the cab or dropping it into the cowl. I think up is the way to go personally because of water leakage.

So with the leakage issue...... How do you do the sills that hold the windows in when you chop??? Section them??? And as far as the windshield slidin it up into the roof do you section that seal to shorten it as well and then split the top of it to allow the glass to slide through it???

2. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

did you d a log search here on this? lots of info/pics on chops. yep, standard cutting can end up with broken glass. but, this is not stone you are cutting.
    have you measured width of roof here it is stock to how wide it will be where you plan to cut it? will have to modify roof to fit.

3. clintonvillian

clintonvillian
    BANNED

We've etched glass...... so I still don't think thats a problem I just dont want to if I can slip it into the cab.....

And I have searched, but have yet to find anyone mentioning the seals......thats what I'm more concerned with. Chopping and sectioning is not a problem....just the seals.

4. aircoup

aircoup

i wouldnt slip it in to the top just cut it or have it cut its much cleaner, never seen it slipped into the roof and as you cut the top it will shrink in size so its cut into four peices and what youll end up with is about a 2 in section to fill across the top edges get a doner roof skin too its much easier than welding all the way across and warping it , good luck and have fun '

5. The Shocker

The Shocker

6. clintonvillian

clintonvillian
    BANNED

Oh and let me add something to the post on cutting the glass. Instead of Duct tape, there is a rubber tape about 1/16 inch thick availablecomes in 10" width, I was going to use it and place it on each side of my cut line to work as a guide and to protect the glass. This is some tuff stuff, sand will eat through it but it takes awhile so its pretty forgiving. Its what they use for etching glass templates, they cut a pattern stick it to the glass then etch it..........to remove it you use coleman lantern fuel, seperates right from the glass no problems.

7. clintonvillian

clintonvillian
    BANNED

Aircoup, You are saying to overlap a doner section over the existing cut through the roof when i widen it vs welding the two complete seams on each side?

From my measurements I only need to half the roof not quarter it as you suggest.... or am i looking at something wrong....

8. clintonvillian

clintonvillian
    BANNED

Also with cutting the glass I'm assuming you just section out the rubber gaskets??? and use some silicone to seal the cuts or what???

9. Jim Dieter

Jim Dieter
    from Joliet

Yes, seen it done that way, Blasting too. But heat is the big enemy from everything I've seen and heard...

10. clintonvillian

clintonvillian
    BANNED

The guy on one link used modern sealant instead of a gasket.............that sounds like the way to go???

11. The Shocker

The Shocker

Yes the rubber tape is better but i was real broke years ago when i cut my windshield .Duct tape (many layers) will get the job done and did ,but i would use the rubber tape nowdays if i were to cut another windshield .Good luck on cutting yours if you choose to :)...

12. aircoup

aircoup

yes you dont want to weld all the way across , more chance of warpageif you cut out the center section of the top , all youll have to weld is the existing edges , alot easier and yes overlap the section with grinding and welding it will all smooth out

13. clintonvillian

clintonvillian
    BANNED

do what, the chop? the glass? or all of it and why????

14. shoprat

shoprat
    Member Emeritus
    from Orange, CA

Chopped one 40 yrs ago. Cut it 3". Had to widen the top. I think the ground down
    the bottom of the windshield back then. I did the vent windows etc and then the guy
    put one piece side windows in it. Oh well. Looked good IMO at 3". It wound up in the
    San Diego area.

15. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

X2.... Dont ruin a good 56 ford truck by choppin the top first,then lose interest and scrap it
    Fix everything else first,then if you are still determined, go for it, if thats what you like.
    I "personally" would rather have a unchopped one, anyday.

16. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

I would run it, as is after throwing some running boards on,painting the grill and wheels and putting tires and all the hub caps back on.
    (people have paid good money for that kind of patina)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 4, 2011
  17. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

F100s are hard to chop and make it look right. There is no subtle chop on an effie. The proportions of the top part of the cab to the bottom part are spot on. That big beautiful wrap around windshield is a focal point, letting the rest of the truck speak as a whole. The floating grille and muscular hood bump can overpower the overall look real easy if you take away the top. Unless you plan on a crazy, full-on late fifties show truck with a pie-cut hood and full body section, it's gonna be hard to nail it where you wont regret it. Maybe build the full truck and drive for a while then revisit the chop idea. You may find you don't want to. Just a stupid opinion anyway...

18. charger

charger
    from manitoba

Thats a really nice truck to chop!! `56`s look really good unchopped! from what articles i have read the roof still has to be sectioned on a `56

19. Larry T

Larry T

If I were gonna try it (and I might some day if I live long enough) I'd chop the top a couple of inches and leave the back glass (standard cab) stock height. You could center up the back glass to line up with the top and bottom of the side windows to give it a "factory look".
    I'd also cut the windshield and do it first, so that I could fit the window opening in the cab to the windshield and not vice versa. Lots easier to modify metal than glass.
    Larry T

20. Ralphies54

Ralphies54

Chopped the top on my 54 10 years ago. It was a bitch cutting glass for the windshield, took 3 trys to get it and it was done by a pro. I would not cut a 56 at all, the wrap around wind shield will never fit right as the cab gets wider side to side as its lowered making the bends in the glass fall in the wrong place. As said before the 56 gets its style in the fact that the glass is different. P.S. took 5.5 in out and I still can wear a cowboy hat.

21. clintonvillian

clintonvillian
    BANNED

Looks can be decieving, this thing is nothing but rust. Im replacing so much on it that keeping it stock isnt gonna matter. To be honest as far as looks go, I think sectioning the whole truck would look the best, but I'm not getting into that.

22. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

If you think it would look best then go for it! Sectioned trucks look awesome when done right. Check out old rod mags for inspiration and make it proud man.

23. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Trying to chop the top has probably lead to the demise of more 56 F-100's than you would want to believe.
    There was one in this area 30 years ago that changed hands once or twice a year for years because no one could get a windshield to fit. The top has to be split to make it work and even then it is probably one of the bigger challenges as far as chopping a top goes.
    Do what you want but my guess is that this time next year you will be parting it out after you gave up on the chop if you try it without a lot more thought and planning than you seem to be putting into it.

24. clintonvillian

clintonvillian
    BANNED

haha i think its gonna be cake, especially with a donor roof........... the only challengine part of it is the glass plain and simple. sectioning the top and re welding it wont be a problem, I think the way to go though is using the new adhesive tape. AND BY THE WAY CHIP FOOSE did not cut ANY glass for his 56. It was a slit and slip.

25. clintonvillian

clintonvillian
    BANNED

PS I love it when people tell me I can't do stuff or will fail trying........... Its the best fuel there is.

26. tnrotter

tnrotter
    from Tennessee

I say CHOP IT! Get out your measuring tape, sharpie, and sawzall, and GO FOR IT! You can't fail if you never try.

27. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

Good luck with this. I hope you do a good job, I hate to see old cars disappear under plastic filler. I am not knocking what you want to do but if you have never done this sort of thing before you may find it harder than it looks. Lots of research on what others have done is always a good idea.

David

28. clintonvillian

clintonvillian
    BANNED

Thats why I'm on here asking questions and reading forums........This may sound cocky, but I've done way more complicated things than this chop is gonna be. So spare me the Good Luck. The main reason I was asking the questions was about the sills.......Sectioning the top and getting it right is not a problem, Cutting the glass is not a problem, might take me several tries but I'll get it cut, unless i choose to slide it.

Be it cutting the glass or sliding it into the cab top or cowl, I just don't know how guys are sealing things up when the split the cowl or top and it actually looking good.

29. clintonvillian

clintonvillian
    BANNED