Register now to get rid of these ads!

TIPS on Making progress on a project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by The37Kid, Jul 3, 2011.

1. The37Kid

The37Kid

Just what do you do to get motivated to acomplish some visable progress on a car project. Is it the fact that I'm 60, out of funds, and have too many things in the shop area, that has me at a standstill? Moving parts from point A to point B isn't doing anything. Happy 4th of JULY!:)

2. I like a deadline. While I may not make the deadline, I get an ass-load accomplished trying to make said goal.

3. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

I was at the same point when I turned 40 or so.
    I sold off everything that did not go on or fit my 32 roadster project. It took about a year but then I had a pocketful of $$$ and a clear idea of how I wanted the 32 roadster to be. Within a short time ... I was riding ... and had $$$ to go to a bunch of events. :D :D

[​IMG]

( photo by NitroFC ... taken @ NSRA NATS Louisville Ky. )

4. silentpoet

silentpoet
    from NWA

You eat an elephant one bite at a time. Same with a project. I am getting discouraged too. My caddy I just got running for the first time in 20 years near as I can tell. And while working on the carburetor leaks I find out my filter nut fitting is screwed up. So it was a set back. But just because I can't get a new carb in it right now it doesn't mean I can't work on the electrical. Or I can't sand off say 1-2 square feet of cracked paint. I can get the front drum new shoes in. I have the stuff to do that. So while it may not be the new carb it is progress.

Also working on organizing the garage and my tools. Last night I made a socket holder and put some of my sockets on that. I had some long screws the sockets would fit on(for the most part) and I grabbed a piece of wood from a pile in the basement. It isn't the best, but as broke as I am right now it will do.

Just do what you can. Get around the car and piddle around a bit. Don't feel guilty if you ain't making the progress you think you should. Just have fun when you do whatever it is you do to the car.

5. dmulally

dmulally

I know that I am making progress when my dog jumps in and wants a ride. But to help with your question, making a small list and ticking it off is good. Time for an audit of crap that you dont need to sell for funds. That way you can sacrifice a battle to win the war.

6. chrisntx

chrisntx
    from Texas .

Do something, no matter how small, Every Day

7. Vergil

Vergil

Ditto on this, built three this way.

Vergil

8. The37Kid

The37Kid

Randy, That is great advice, but I'm down to my keepers now. I could work on the stuff for a year without spending much money, just can't get moving on them. Maybe the fact that I work full time in a restoration shop on other peoples cars has an effect.

9. I'm in the same boat after moving 6 cars (5 builders) and a shop, with parts for ALL the cars. Plus I had to move in before the new shop was finished!

I set a goal, one big or several small ones, every day. Unpack this, organize these parts, move this car, run this wiring, etc.

I've got a HUGE elephant to eat, but I WILL get it done. Having multiple projects is actually a plus for me; Get stumped or pissed on one and jump over to something on one of the others, even if it's not number one on your list.

Even the small goals that are met give me some sense of accomplishment, and keep me looking forward to the next ones. Break yours down and soon you'll be done.

10. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

Make lists of what needs to be done and cross off what youve done (to show progress). Also, make deadlines, like carshows. Mine is midnight mass.

11. Get it in your head what you want and build to that standard. Stay away from changing things that are already done. A little at a time and before you know it you'll be driving. Good luck!!

12. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

When ya find out , please let me know.
    "AND THE BOWTIE ROLLS ON"

13. chopitdano

chopitdano

I start an argument with the woman I am seeing at the time... that usually lights a fire under my ass and going to the shop releases the frustration I have with her! I don't recommend this method if you're married because there are knifes in the house. As of now I am fighting time with the fall semester starting in late August and loosing the shop in September.

14. I find that completing an item and moving to the next works for me. I'm close to your age and the thing that drives me most is time. I don't know how many shopping days for fun I have left. It's important to me to make the best use of everyday. I have several projects in mind. I have to keep going to even think about them so I can't sit down. Before I get the current one completed, I'm formulating a plan for the next.

15. sdbcivic

sdbcivic
    from West Ga.

making a list of things that needs to be done worked for me, and also trying to do a little something every chance i got even when i didn't feel like it! like one guy said even if i just piddled around a bit and cleaned up tools and tried to organize my mess i felt like i did something!

16. Koz

Koz

Every year I do the same thing. I get myself all wound up about having a car for the Fall Wildwood run. I live for these three days every year. This causes me to do all sorts of all nighters etc. I've actually made it three times in about twenty years, but one year doesn't count because I had the same car.

I'm building an A two door now, 82 days to go and I just started last week. Will I make it? Who knows but that doesn't mean I'll stop trying.

17. captmullette

captmullette

a good friend here in carrabelle that has built many hotrods, told me, just do 1 thing at a time and at least 1 thing every day...:rolleyes:

18. banditomerc

banditomerc

this is a page out of my book.i get alot done when I put a gun to my head:)

19. old me

old me
    from Iowa

I feel your pain,37!
    I'm about your age, work in a collision shop 45-50 hrs a week, and at my age, going out in the shop when I get home and doing more of the same is tough. Just have to remember, at least it's YOUR car you'll be working on. Any/all improvements are for you and your car!
    And what has been mentioned, pick one small job at a time you can get at each night. Next thing you know, you're back at it with more enthusiasm!
    Let's go get 'em!!

20. A list of jobs taped on the shed wall does it for me. as a job gets done, it gets a big black marker pen line through it. As you get a few black lines up there, it encourages you to get more, and it's a great feeling when you get more black lines than jobs left to do.

21. chevelle bob

chevelle bob
    from Linton

My problem is my shop is tied up with a junk OT car I have to finish before I can get my new 52 chevy project in. Currently the Chevy is in my garage but my shop does not have room for it too with the other one. I have too much tied up inthe current one to abandon it so here i sit and do nothing. Motivation is deffinately lacking. Looking at catalogs making a game plan for the 52 but not doing anything to get to it.