Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Trico steering column fan question???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DRAGULA54, Jul 2, 2011.

1. DRAGULA54

DRAGULA54

So I just picked up a trico fan tested it with vacuum and opened valve and very lil happened. I'm thinking possibly it needs oiling but I don't know what kind of oil or how if anything special? Or if there any other maintenances need for these vacuum fans? Any help or knowledge would be greatly appreciated thanks!

2. Make sure the exhaust port is open ( a small hole on the side of the housing). A couple drops of any lube can't hurt.

Attached Files:

3. larry woods

larry woods
    from venice fl

if i remember 3in1 oil whatever that was!

4. Joe T Creep

Joe T Creep
    Member Emeritus

The diaphram could be bad. If youre careful you can pop off the round rear cover and inspect it.

5. DRAGULA54

DRAGULA54

Have you ever done this? Any method to it you know of?

6. Blow into the vacuum port with an air hose, hold your finger over the port in the housing will pop the cover off. But there's no diaphram, just the impeller.

7. DRAGULA54

DRAGULA54

Ok now how do you get it back on after u pop it off?

8. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

All it needs is lubrication. The shaft needs oiling. It can be hard to get the oil to where it is needed. A spray can with the red plastic tube is helpful. It may take some time to work the oil though. The hole in it directs the air flow across the vanes inside that turns the shaft and of course the fan blade. Mine was slow at first too until the lubrication took effect and it would need a kick of the blade to get it started. You might try to hold the fan so that gravity will help to oil the shaft.

I would not try to pry the back off of it. I have one with that back panel loose. I guess it could be epoxied back on but I see no advantage to removing it. The one in the picture looks to have a nice factory finish that I personally would try to preserve. JMO.

9. maniac

maniac

That stuff is still around

http://www.3inone.com/

10. 4dFord/SC

4dFord/SC

Hook it up to a vacuum cleaner?;)

11. I have snapped them back on dry. It's best to finger a dab of RTV around the housing before snapping it on. I have more than a few of these fans. I broke down and put A/C in my 34. I refused to put vents in or under the dash. The A/C worked ok and Honey's feet got real cold. I put my fan under the dash to blow some air up into the car. Worked good and looks cool. We call it our "analog entertainment device"

12. badshifter

badshifter

You get it at Pomona LARS?

13. I'm still trying to figure out why your steering column needs a fan. Is it overheating? :eek:

14. DRAGULA54

DRAGULA54

Thanks for the info I will give it a shoot see what happens. This is the one I'm working on [​IMG]

15. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

With stuff like this, it's a good idea to really flood it with light oil like 3-in-1 so the oil can settle in and find its way into shaft and such. I have NO idea what would be proper lube, but 3-in-1 is light enough to do considerable cleaning and get in everywhere. Then hook it to manifold briefly and your engine will reprocess it into a puff of smoke...
    I'd then likely add something a bit heaver like 30 weight so some will stay in there after the engine clears out the excess. A drop of the oil where fan meets casting would be good, too, as that will be pulled IN by manifold vac.

16. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Love those old vacuum fans!

17. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

I believe that they were originally made to defog the windshield but I just aimed mine at my face for those bumper to bumper tie ups. It is amazing how much air that they do move. I called it and my cowl vent my air conditioning system.

18. DRAGULA54

DRAGULA54

Anyone else got some good info??

19. SmoKerch

SmoKerch

Sit on an ice pack?

20. Ric Dean

Ric Dean
    from Central NY

Move up here in the Great White North and you wont need no stinkin Fan:);):D

21. Did someone say Trico Fans? A buddy saw this and told me "step away from the key board and call the Bette Ford Clinic"

Attached Files:

22. DEEPNHOCK

DEEPNHOCK

Your car will never start.... It needs at least a little vacuum:rolleyes::p