Register now to get rid of these ads!

HAMB Dragsters @ Eagle Field LIONS Drag Race July 31st 2011

Discussion in 'HA/GR' started by Toymaker, Jun 26, 2011.

1. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

I know it's short notice and on a Sunday but who thinks they may make it?
    [​IMG]

2. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

We would love to be there, but the budget and reality says we'll have to miss it.......see you in October. :D

3. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

I'm scrambling. Wisht I'd had a bit more warning, I'll know for sure in about a week. :confused:

4. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

No problem guys, I understand! Rocky

5. Joe Roseberry

Joe Roseberry

Jeana has her gear on already, but I still have parts scattered all over the garage. That doesn't mean we won't make it just that I need to get my stuff together. See you soon. Joe

6. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

I better get a HAMB Dragster award ready :D The final decision has been made that this race is open to all American Powered cars, 74 and earlier Imports and the Race Format (All Day Grudge Racing!) will remain the same to eliminate any confusion. Rocky
    [​IMG]

7. Katuna

Katuna
    from Clovis,Ca.

Way to go Rocky. Will be interesting to see with a tree. How did this all come about?

8. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

It belongs to a freind of mine and I've been storing it for over a year, just looks like a BUNCH of work:D but I thought I give it a shot for this race (ONLY) and allow new cars, "O" and NO Imports newer than '74.

9. Victor L

Victor L

Hi!
    Just joined the H.A.M.B.
    The Eagle Field Reunion on May 21st was my first time on a track, and a really great day to remember, so you bet, I will be back.
    Rocky, you have done greater for the central valley, than what Walt Disney did for southern California. Good job!

10. Old28

Old28

Rocky, I have to agree with Victor L about what you have done for old school racing in the valley. With your races at Eagle Field and Butches races at Famoso we have it real good. I know a lot of people would like to have what we do. Keep up the good work and with any luck I will be able to make a few passes there next year.

11. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

Thanks Guys! I'm REALLY Enjoying myself and look forward to many MORE Races!!

12. How did this turn out? Looked on main board but didn't see anything posted.

13. Victor L

Victor L

Hi, the Lions Race at Eagle Field was really cool.
    The number of spectators, and participants was so small compared to the previous events, hopefully nobody lost money.
    The timing tree was new, and don't know if it will be optional for future events, but it added an element of confusion. I felt bad for all the guys that got "Red Lighted."
    I also felt bad for all the guys that got their pride taken away by the super turbo diesel trucks.
    Other than that, it was cool, being a smaller event, with an earlier start time, every one got plenty of passes down the track.

14. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Glad it went off OK. Really po'd I couldn't make it, hope you run it again next year so I can get it on the calendar. :cool:

15. hotrodtodd1960

hotrodtodd1960

Had a great time !! Thanks Sonny for hunting me down a helmet and thanks Lee and Rocky for loaning me one , the Bakersfield Boys AKA The Flying Blind Race Team will be back !! does anyone have any pics to post ? I was having to much fun to take pics

16. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

Thanks Guys, I'm picking up some photos this weekend and will post them soon. I think evryone who attended had a great time with Les Gomes grinnin ear to ear with his HA/GR win over Joe Roseberry. Rocky

17. Katuna

Katuna
    from Clovis,Ca.

Rocky, Had a great time the short time I was there. Sorry I was on my phone and didn't get to even say Hi. Had one of our apprentices on the other end and was trying to talk him in off the ledge. Ended up having to go back to Fresburg right after I saw you. Glad I did, all Hell broke loose at work.

The DVD I gave you is actually all the pics Johnnie has taken from all the events. Most of them are just generic pics but he likes taking random people shots and he had quite a few driver meetings and such. Thought you might enjoy.

18. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

The Historic piece of quiet country side known as Eagle Field Roared to life July 31st as the Dos Palos Lions club hosted the LIONS Drag Race. For the first time the Eagle Field Runway Drags offered a "Christmas Tree" for fair starts and a timing system to record performances. Another first was allowing all american cars to participate regardless of year, offering fans the variety of participants from Model A Fords to 2011 Dodge Challengers and Diesel Pick-ups in between.
    With most cars just enjoying good "Old Fashion" grudge racing there was a couple of Class Champions to be decided. First was the category of HAMB Dragster, a Class of Dragsters built as if we were stuck in the 50's. The HAMB Dragster final paired the Fresno Dragways Reunion Champion Joe Roseberry with his 261 Chevy powered "Rail" against local Les Gomes in his 302 GMC Mid Engine creation. Les Gomes' 302 powered Rail had a "Hole Shot" advantage over the 5 carburetor equipped Rail of Joe Roseberry to hold off a quicker run and win the event with an 8.801 ET @ 75.22MPH to Joe's 8.198 @ 90.63.
    The category that had the Locals on there feet was the Tee Dee Us Automotive "Quick 8" Door Slammer Shoot-Out. This class had 5 locals shooting for bragging rights but had to get around some "out of towners" for the honors, when the dust cleared there was only one local in the Finals as the Cotta family's Dos Palos Camaro squared off against the Exeter, CA entry of Fred Bruce. In a fitting Final for a closely contested category Bruce's Nova edged out a Win over the local hope with a 7.474ET @ 97.02 MPH to Cotta's 7.539 @ 101.16.
    If you haven't enjoyed the Eagle Field Runway Drags yet come on out Saturday October 8th when we return to 1974 and earlier Flag Start Drags that features cars you won't see race anywhere else. Check eaglefielddrags.com or phone 559 351 3537 for more info.
    [​IMG]
    Event Champion Les Gomes 302 powered "Middie" HAMB Dragster