Register now to get rid of these ads!

Nut, bolt, screw, washer Organization

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by vividlyvintage, Jun 29, 2011.

1. vividlyvintage

vividlyvintage

Thanks for enlightening me on that. I could totally use one too!... someday.

2. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

Nah i didnt, found that online and thought it was a good candidate for the misc. folder, ahahah.
    On a side note, i also use platic ice cream conainers, of course afer i ate all of the ice cream ;) , or the large yougurt cans as well, i try to recycle the more i can.
    And ive been lookin for a vintage card file cabinet for some time too, theyre perfect.

3. Never2low

Never2low

This was my part time winter project. Pulled the cabinets and drywall, framed out the wall (doubled up 2 x 12's on top and trippled up 2 x 4's on the sides, 1/2 mdf backing. With a small garage, keeping the depth of the bench as shallow as possible was a priority so I sunk the organizers into the wall keeping them in the light and as close to arms reach without sacraficing work top space. Still working on organizing the drawers.

Attached Files:

4. Yes, the red cabinet is a service desk or sometimes called a foremans desk. Here is what it looks like now.

[​IMG]

It's got some very nice storage space, I keep my power tools inside

Last edited: Jul 1, 2011
  5. koolkemp

koolkemp

Some pretty neat ideas here thanks!

6. vividlyvintage

vividlyvintage

I ended up buying an organizer from harbor freight. 7.99 for this..

uploadfromtaptalk1310548400729.jpg

So I bought 3.

Thanks,
    Skrach
    www.VividlyVintage.com

7. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

My buddies and I turned my '73 Duster from a running car on Saturday morning, to 12 boxes of parts and a bare body by 7pm Saturday night.

I bought several boxes of Zip-lock bags, everyone got their own Sharpie marker, and I had a stack of plastic tote boxes.

Groups or sections of the car went into the tote boxes, with all fasteners, brackets and small parts in labeled zip lock bags.

Then, I labeled the outside of each box "Box 1," "Box 2," etc.

Finally, I took made a master list with what is in each box. I put the list on my computer, so I could update it as needed, and also printed a hard-copy and put it in a 3-ring binder that stays with the boxes. When I need to get something to work on, I have a list of what box it's in.

-Brad

8. 54fierro

54fierro
    from san diego

I have one of those little cabinets for bolts as well, but I remember when i was a kid my neighbor had a home made deal made out of Gerber baby food jars.

It looked like he nailed the lids to a board and you would pull the jar when you needed a bolt or whatever. He made it so it would spin, i thought it was pretty cool and cheap.

9. chrisntx

chrisntx
    from Texas .

Amateurs!

[​IMG]

Sad

[​IMG]
    Amateurs, I say!!

[​IMG]

slightly better

[​IMG]

Now yer getting there! :)

I got four of these and filled them up
    After I filled up the blue cabinet.
    I guess all the large bolts will have to stay in their 5 gallon buckets

Attached Files:

10. Ranunculous

Ranunculous

A guy showed me how he'd cut a piece of canvas and place all of his random fasteners onto the canvas,then stow it inside a bucket.Label each bucket for contents and if able,hang from a rafter or stow under the bench.Great for fender bolts,engine bolts,etc.
    I scored over 100 beta boxes years ago.They hold all my carpentry and bolt hardware and I can either glue a sample to the outside or paint marker the box and stack them like pancakes.

11. Seepwater

Seepwater

I like to use the plastic containers that Cystal Lite (and its generic equivelents) come in. They are about 8" tall so head bolts, starter bolts, etc. fit in them. They can also be written on with a magic marker.

12. Seepwater

Seepwater

I like to use the plastic containers that Cystal Lite (and its generic equivelents) come in. They are about 8" tall so head bolts, starter bolts, etc. fit in them. They can also be written on with a magic marker.

13. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Being that I was an X-Ray/CAT Scan tech, I had access to a lot of different sized, disposable, plastic containers. The best are an oil can sized, 105mm cut-role film cannister used in the camera of an x-ray/fluoroscopy machine. Heavy, flexible, black plastic with a snap on lid (light tight). I still have about 30 of them containing everything from electrical, crimp terminals, to washers, to bolts and nuts. I use a stick on label and write what's in the container with a Sharpie. They are strong enough, and can be stored on their sides, so the label is easily visible. Most of them are in a metal storage cabinet I also got from work. Butter/margerine containers also work well. The new style plastic coffee containers work well too, better than the metal ones that rust, get beat up, and have sharp edges (OUCH!!!). Best of all.......they were all FREE! Butch/56sedandelivery.

GOD I hope I did'nt sound too much like Martha Stewart.

14. ayer

ayer

I worked at a shop one time where the owner took a dryer drum and welded it to some angle for a frame, and so it would turn. He would throw all the odd misc items into this and when looking for something would turn it a little at a time untill he found what he was looking for. It was ok for some things, but not others.

15. vividlyvintage

vividlyvintage

I like the look of some of the older dental and medical storage pieces. Some are art deco and modern looking.

Thanks,
    Skrach
    www.VividlyVintage.com

16. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I hate ziploc bags, maybe more than I hate bondo. Seems like the right thing to use but they suck for long term projects. Here in the midwest we have a store called Gordon's Food Service (GFS) that supplies resturants and delis. Deli cups. I repeat, DELI CUPS. You can get em in 8, 16, and 32oz sizes. The 8s and 16s come 50 to a sleeve, the 32s, 25. A sleeve of 50 lids fits all 3. Lacquer thinner won't melt em. They're clear and can be reused over and over. A sleeve of lids is like 3 bucks, cups are 3.50 to 5 bucks. They stack nicely in a box and you can store small parts in em too. For "inventory" fasteners you can't beat industrial drawer systems. With all the shop auctions lately they should be plentiful and reasonbly priced. I've had the same ol nasty one under my bench and organized for size since the 80s. It ain't pretty so I'm not posting a pic, it simply works.

Here's what the containers look like but this price is for a full case from someone else:

http://www.google.com/products/cata...=OgokTsH3HOfY0QHSypm5Aw&sqi=2&ved=0CG4Q8wIwAw#

I know a lot of folks like bags but I don't know why. This is the answer for me and I also use em to mix paint in small amounts or to store paints between spray sessions. Or to mix gas/2 stroke oil. Or to drain a carb or master cylinder. You can fit 2 Packard gauges in 1 32oz cup. You won't run out of ideas for em. Good luck.

17. wsdad

wsdad

I removed an engine from a Mazda B2000. It had vacuum hoses running everywhere - like spaghetti! I wrapped blue painter's tape around them and another around the nipple they slid over and numbered them. Then when it was time to put the engine back in, hose 1 went to nipple 1, 2 to 2, 3 to 3, etc. I did the same with other wires and various connectors. I had the engine out for about a year but the blue painter's tape still didn't leave a residue and none of the numbers fell off. There's no way I would have remembered where they all went a year later!

18. i use the clear plastic jars peanut butter comes in [pbj for lunch twice a week] you can see what's in it, and they have a wide lid. a sharpie will mark the top. i agree with HIGHLANDER plastic bags are terrible, they fog so you can't see in them. on a full restoration i use a roll cabinet tool box and mark the drawers, door parts in one draw, engine parts in another, catalogs and manuals in another etc..

19. X3..... but no tape label. I've had a few tape labels come off, I just write right on the bag.

20. phat rat

phat rat

These are my answer. I have about 80 of the grey drawers and the black is just one tower.

Attached Files:

21. vividlyvintage

vividlyvintage

found this on stacey david's gers website under quick tips:

As I grow older my eyesight and my memory are not what they used to be. I just finished installing a waterpump and timing belt on my 1993 Suzuki Samurai. The tear down left me with a lot of different sized bolts so I sorted them in styrofoam coffee cups with the part they went on marked with a sharpie. Because some of the bolts needed to go back in the exact hole from where they came,I made diagrams on foam core board and placed the bolts in the exact location. I also jotted down the size of socket required for each component for quick reference on the rebuild.

Stacey's Comments:
    This is a great reminder of how important ORGANIZATION is to a project. Making diagrams or putting the hardware (bolts) in the holes they came out of until you are ready for the new part, are great ways to make sure everything goes back together right?especially over a period of time. This is also a good time to check and replace old hardware or bolts that are worn out.

22. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

i use the metal cabinets with oil container bins just like some of the others. but, i use magnetic sign material to label the drawers. write the size/description on the magnet, cut with scissors, apply to drawer. makes it easy to move around if you have to change drawers.

23. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

I wanted to stay away from plastic so I scooped this and labeled it for my own use.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

24. oj

oj

Heres what i use for normal bolt/nut stuff. A drawer for 6/32 thru 10/32; for 1/4; 5/16 & 3/8 each have sepeate drawers for nuts and washers; a drawer each for bolts - 7/16, 1/2 & 3/4 have drawers for short bolts, washers and different types of nuts.
    The pic shows the 6/32 - 10/32 drawer where i leave the fasteners in the purchased box; the other drawer was a bolt drawer where you'll have an assortment of grades, materials, thread pitch, head type and length.
    I wouldn't want to try to move that cabinet, i think it might be on the heavy side.

Attached Files:

25. Here's the best thing I ever got for my shop organization. Stanley Vidmar cabinets with full roller bearing suspension slides and reconfigurable drawers. Bought mine at a DRMO sale for $125 each. They have steel dividers in each drawer will hold about anything I want to put in them.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 22, 2011
  26. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Usually it is a coffee can or margarine tub for the bolts off the top and one for the bolts off the bottom with maybe some smaller containers for smaller pieces of an engine that I have apart. That is about as organized as I get right now.

I've got a big old steel desk drawer under the bench that all used bolts, screws and other things that don't have a specific place to go end up in. Not organized or fancy but it has saved many a trip to town for a bolt over the years.

I'd love to have more cabinets and storage bins but right now my garage is way too small for what I have in it and I need to be taking things out rather than putting things in.

27. tad626

tad626

Cup cake pans for nuts and bolts, different cup, as you take each assembly apart.
    Art

28. Ian Berky

Ian Berky

Genius!!!!

29. I use a 2x6 with holes drilled part way through it to keep my lifters in order. Cardboard with holes punched in it to keep valves in order. Egg cartons to hold keepers and retainers.

Short pieces of 4x4 with vs cut in the end to cradle crank shafts.

The wife used to collect Tupperware at least once a year she would head out to the garage and collect it.

30. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

X2 I do the same thing. I have several different types of steel cabinets including from an old bank (safe deposit box signature cards). :)

Last edited: Jul 22, 2011