Register now to get rid of these ads!

Question for Collision Damage Experts

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 392HEMI4SPEED, Jun 29, 2011.

1. 392HEMI4SPEED

392HEMI4SPEED
    from Wisconsin

Can't go into all the details on this. Just give you some information and looking for what your response would be based on experience.

1971 Mustang, prior collision in front left frame/tire area. Worked on by others in the past. Not perfect, but was running and driving after repair.

If the collision was hard enough, I understand one might see roof damage.

This all started when someone said the dent is a wrinkle from the collision. All I see is a dent in the roof, less than an 1/8" deep, at the deepest point, that spans an area maybe 3" to 5" before everything is smooth again. Nothing is raised in the roof and there is no other damage in the roof. Honestly it looks great except for what I call and still believe is a dent. All the paint is off the car so there is nothing to hide.

Dent is 1/3 of the way back from the windshield and more toward the right side of the car than the left.

I guess I would expect to see wrinkles from collision damage more toward the top of the windshield pillar area on the left side versus what I call a dent in the roof more toward the right.

Let me know your thoughts?

2. Johnunit

Johnunit
    from Toronto

measure everything you can to see if it's tweaked. window frames from every angle you can, etc. If something is tweaked enough to dent the roof, it'll show up with careful use of a measuring tape. Look for differences in the measurements from one side to the other.

3. 55glyde

55glyde
    from mile high

Key words... "if it was hit hard enough". Unibody cars are good at isolating impact. However, if the impact moved through the lower rail and apron then into the firewall, and pulled the left windshield pillar in a down or inward direction, the roof will tend to form a "dent" pointing toward the effected area spanning out and eventually walking out.

Also common with this type of body construction, you can sometimes see trunk to quarter misallignment on either side. (I know, this is extreme... but something else to look at.)

4. toddc

toddc

Does it still have the bolt on panels on it? Look for uneven gaps around the tops of the doors ( if 71 Mustangs have door tops ? )

Look for freshly cracked lead around the A pillars too.

5. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Check your door diagonals on both sides for comparison. They should be the same or very close. If car has had a big hit these measures may not be true and they've adjusted door and glass to suit opening.
    Also check your engine bay and suspension tower diagonals. If you had the front fenders off there may be evidence that the top fender apron has been forced back and buckled the upper structure on the plenum chamber under the windscreen. Mustangs are very similar uni-body construction to Falcons, Fairlanes and Torinos.
    If it were me I'd also check under body diagonals including the front end. I'd try to get car level with spirit level under the chassis rails at the rear, central body and then at the front. You may find that the front isn't level by comparison to centre and rear and could be twisted slightly due to poor repair?
    I did my time in a Ford shop and remember squaring up front end collisions before the fenders, hood and doors were hung.
    It could be that it was repaired and they overlooked this area. Not uncommon for Fords to give in the roof turret area. Also pull the hood lining down and check the cant rails for any signs of damage.

6. 392HEMI4SPEED

392HEMI4SPEED
    from Wisconsin

Decided to contact the previous owner. He confirmed that the previous owner had a sun/rain canopy setup fall over on the roof of the car at a car show 12-15 years ago during high winds.

Thanks for your time and all the information.

7. 55glyde

55glyde
    from mile high

Good... That's an easy fix.

A few years back, the same thing happened to me. Some idiot decided to use 4 10x10 cinder blocks (one on each corner), to "secure" his ez-up canopy from flopping around. A gust of wind came up and tossed the tent over his truck. The blocks, like a ball and chain, smashed into my truck and trailer. Broke the windshield, wrecked the roof and bedside.

Those blocks can't weigh but 10 pounds!? You do the math.

8. rancid737

rancid737

remember too, of the factory line tolerances were in the 3-6 millimeter range. just thought i should point that out before you measure and see any differences. Can you weld some studs and pull the dent with a slide hammer? thats what I would do unless I missed something. if the doors fit with decent gaps, shouldnt be a problem. just my opinion.

9. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

These cars warped over the years just from use. I wouldn't be afraid to buy it, but I would budget to put it on a frame table and get the whole car trued up, if I had any doubts.

Overhaulin' did a Boss Mustang several years ago and it got the full treatment before the quarters were replaced. Pretty standard for old uni-body cars, if you want it done well.