Register now to get rid of these ads!

Is this as ugly as I think it is???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by guiseart, Apr 30, 2005.

1. guiseart

guiseart

Okay, this is a classified ad, but I'm NOT trying to sell it... so I posted it here. It's just such an... ummm... gack... interesting looking vehicle, I just had to share it. Please click the link to view the other photos, I just copied one to give you the general look.:eek:

Could this really be a concept car? Or something constructed during a bad acid-trip in the 60's? You know, the frontend isn't too bad, but frome the windshield on back really got wacko... what do you think?:confused:

This site really does have some good deals on 20's thru 60's vehicles... but this one made me throw up a little!

2. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

3. Anchor

Anchor
    from N/A

It uh..... It kind of looks like a frog. I like to keep my amphibians and my vehicles on completely opposite ends of the spectrum.

Erin

4. guiseart

guiseart

5. Rot 'n Kustom

Rot 'n Kustom

Looks like a "Henry J-into-sportscar" conversion.

There were quite a few in the fifties and early sixties. The idea was to take a cramped little four seat sedan and turn it into a two seat sports car. Equipped with the Kaiser six it was a pretty neat little hotrod.

Most of the conversions were cute little buggers. This isn't one of them.

The original Henry J was decently styled for an economy car of the time. The problem was, it wasn't very economical. It cost almost as much as a full-sized Chevy, and wasn't especially cheap to run, either.

The funny thing about this one is that while it IS ugly, I think it could be fixed. Remove the Bailon-inspired bumper for something more conventional. Add a simple sportscar type grille. Then smooth out the bumps along the doors. Or just get another Henry J and start over!

I'll post some pics of other conversions when I dig 'em out.

6. Rot 'n Kustom

Rot 'n Kustom

Now that you've posted the link, I need to retract my Henry J thoughts.
    Since it is all fiberglass, I think it is something else.
    What else is anybody's guess!

7. Mutt

Mutt

That's sitting on a '77 buick chassis, and the wheels fit. It wasn't made for a Henry J with that wheelbase.

*****retraction noted*******

Mutt

8. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

I kinda like it! Sorta has that "Brooks Stevens" look to it. I stopped by that place last year while I was out that way.. an interesting museum/carlot

9. Actually, if you'd lose the dips at the door it would be kinda cool.

It looks like the guy let his kids pick the color...:p

JOE:cool:

10. Kev Nemo

Kev Nemo

Slam it, chrome reverse w/ pinner whites, gold fade away paint, with white flake t&r interior, blown glass bubble top, quad lights, and push bar bumper- 1962 Autorama best of show!:)

11. that thing looks like it was designed while sitting on the can.. cuz it looks like poop.

12. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

Could be cool, door dips would definitely have to go.

13. Goozgaz

Goozgaz

No uglier than these two.

Who ever put that together... has more fabrication skills than I do so I give'm much respect.

If Barris would have made that would the same question have been asked????

14. Slag Kustom

Slag Kustom

could be cool with out the front door dips and the conti kit

15. alittle1

alittle1

Loks like a '53 Buick Riveria concept car. The headlights are the giveaway. Painted the right colors it could look alright.

16. DrJ

DrJ

All it needs is the engine put back in so it won;t sit so high and a '58 Edsel grill & Bumpers so it won't have that cartoon "Who erased my nose!!!" look.
    The rest, that I can see, works ok.

17. TheFrenZ

TheFrenZ
    from Germany

What about this...?

[​IMG]

18. Wildcat for comparison:
    [​IMG]

Another:
    [​IMG]

I bet if you went the whole "Concept car" direction with patterned aluminum side panels framed in chrome, turbine wheel covers, a 57 Buick grill, maybe a couple of batmobile windshield bubbles... really tart it up, you could convince some people it was a concept car.

19. Mutt

Mutt

There was no World's Fair in 1954.

Mutt

20. Take Frenze's dropped version and slip some merc, er........53 Buick side trim on it with a tutone paint scheme, it's be killer...........sorta

21. I don't know any more about it than you do, but I posted the same photo and question on here about 3 1/2 years ago.

Does that place actually sell any cars?

22. TIKIFREAK13

TIKIFREAK13
    from Duluth MN

i sure would take car for free but $4500 wow

23. Morrisman

Morrisman
    from England

You want ugly?
    Spied in a friends garage in the Philippines. Look at the monster arches, tail 'wing', running boards and the wierd kink under the door.
    [​IMG]
    Batmobile concept car???? The whole interior is done in fake snake skin too.
    [​IMG]

24. toledobill

toledobill

Let's just forget the "concept car" crap. I was 14 in 1954 and -- representative of that era's teens -- I strongly resent the implication that we were so taste-challenged as to admire any P.O.S. like this. We loved the Kellisons, Bangerts, and Woodill Wildfires of the day. Take a look at the XP300s and Wildcats of that era to see what Buick was really designing.

This was not a concept car; it wasn't a kit car, or even a home-built "You-Make-It-Plans" atrocity of that era.

It was, instead, representative of a rare breed of individual back in that day who went out into his garage with a "what if" mentality. He had some Henry J rear fenders, some '53 Buick headlight doors, and other assorted parts lying around.

His personal mental limitations caused him to think, "Hey, what would it look like if I welded/pasted/bondoed all this together? Maybe it'd look cool and I could say I built it all by myself."

Amazingly, there's a few (very few) cases where it actually worked and some nice stuff resulted -- but they're the exception that proves the rule.
    This rolling "Rainman" special, unfortunately, is the normal result, and should be crushed immediately to respect everything that the 1950s represent.

25. oldskool55

oldskool55
    from socal

26. CharlieLed

CharlieLed

Kinda reminds me of my ex-wife...
    Bumps in all the wrong places!

27. I'd buy this Wildcat...!!!! That is cool!

28. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

yea,,, that thing is gorilla's ass ugly

29. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

I don't know where Bill Napoli comes up with that stuff. Maybe from some of his politician associates.