Register now to get rid of these ads!

1942 bus at auction

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ohio Rodder, Jun 26, 2011.

1. Ohio Rodder

Ohio Rodder

So I was driving up the road the other day and saw this old bus in the Goodwill Auto Auction lot! The lot was closed at the time so I came home and found it on the internet. They say it is a 1942 camper, but from the photos it looks like an old bus to me. Just thought that it was kind of cool... thinking that it would make a great swap meet vehicle! But way too much work for me so I thought that I would share...

Oh yeah... auction is July 9th.

Here is the link for more information:
    http://goodwilldaytonauto.com/component/ezautos/?controller=listings&task=detail&id=130

[​IMG]

2. Ohio Rodder

Ohio Rodder

Oops... forgot to mention that the auction is in Dayton Ohio.

3. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I will check it out.

4. squirrel

squirrel

That version of the Flxible Clipper was made from 41-46. Neat bus....kinda rusty....

5. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Cool old bus, that's for sure. Looks in pretty good shape for a bus that old. Would that be an alumn. body or steel? Seems like it would likely be alumn. Wonder why the bottom skins were removed if not for corrosion. Still, looks in decent shape actually.

6. squirrel

squirrel

They're steel, unibody, and yeah it's rusty.....probably a lot more rust underneath too.

7. WOW, and they thought the baby on Seinfeld was UGLY ... (sure hope I didn't just say that out loud).

8. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Unibody? Are you implying no frame or just all one big body on a frame? Hard to believe that thing wouldn't have a chassis under it.

9. squirrel

squirrel

Crawl under next time you see one. Same design was used for decades. They work fine, until they get rusty.

10. Hot Rod Elvis

Hot Rod Elvis

Pretty cool. It does look like an older restoration judging by the pics from inside with the old fridge and oven....now they may have been put in there recently, but it looks like a older restoration from maybe the late 50's?

11. red58

red58

the Flxible buses are steel below the windows and aluminum above, with skin riveted to a steel rib structure that mounts on cross sills, that are welded onto a pair of full length frame rails - sometimes refered to as monocoque bodied, but really only "semi-monocoque" ... the body and the understructure of a '47 Clipper

the pre-47 is referred to as the frog face Clipper, the design improved in '47 - and it looks like that one may still have the original driveline, Chevy 6 and GM granny 4 speed, doubt it'd get you home :D the Clipper went to a Buick straight 8 in 46 - those lower body panels that roll under are always rust magnets because they're unsealed double panels below floor level

for more than you want to know about the Flxible Clipper construction see here for the saga of building a retirement home that can follow the continental swap meet circuit

12. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I think this one has a GMC motor as the valve cover is not a Chevy design.

13. yes....seen most with the GMC 6 motor - a small block Chevy V8 is an easy swap like the one in my local salvage yard - it's nice and they are trying to find a buyer....

14. red58

red58

going back to look at the full size pic of the engine, I see it's the Buick .... unless there was a GMC 6 with 8 spark plugs ;)
    until the 50's Flxible always used either Chev or Buick gas engines, never a GMC - Flxibles used a lot of GM parts, Charles Kettering was on the board of Flxible as well as GMC