Register now to get rid of these ads!

clean flat black

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by trailer park playboy, Jun 25, 2011.

1. trailer park playboy

trailer park playboy
    from tulare ca.

have a flat black customline! like the look hate the maintain ive done a couple flat blacks on cars that i flipped, decided to keep this one and cleaning it is hell. water spots and smuges like crazy just curious of ideas on best way to clean?

2. trailer park playboy

trailer park playboy
    from tulare ca.

3. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

Quit peein onnit. hard water and all,,,,, donchaknow.

4. trailer park playboy

trailer park playboy
    from tulare ca.

awesome thanks bro never thought of that ill quit pissin on my ride before bedtime!

5. Frank32

Frank32

I use this stuff it works really good for me. For matte/suede paint, Wizards

Attached Files:

6. trailer park playboy

trailer park playboy
    from tulare ca.

great! ill give it a shot thanks

7. Hot Rod Chris

Hot Rod Chris

What knind of "paint" is it? Is it single stage, two stage gloss with flat clear? I have a not so hamb friendly car that is a single stage satin black and I also had the same problem. I waxed it with turtle wax ice wax and solved the problem. No more spots, no more streaking. The ICE line does not leave any white residue like other waxes. Also doest shine it toooo much. It does leave a nice satin sheen on my car, but it is SATIN not flat.....

8. trailer park playboy

trailer park playboy
    from tulare ca.

two stage gloss with flat clear!

9. use lemon pledge on it , it will clean up real nice after that

10. no55mad

no55mad

X2 on Lemon Pledge. Got that tip here in the past. It is a product that advertises that it contains no wax - shake the can good before spraying!

11. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

I would'nt stop peein on it .......just do the whole thing in even strokes.
    SATIN ....NOT FLAT & wet sand it .
    "AND THE BOWTIE ROLLS ON"

12. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Go to the grocery store and get "magic erasers" typically found on the cleaning isle. I use those with water and it works pretty damn well on the stains.

13. Gman0046

Gman0046

The black on the 62 Chevy in my Avatar is BC without the clear. The finish is satin. I use spray detailer to remove handprints, and smudges.

14. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

back in the late 40's early 50's they use to rub motor oil over flat black primer. I know a guy who had his own shop in Oakland in the early '50s. He said that people would pay him to de-badge and remove all the trim off their cars, then lead the holes and shoot the whole car flat black primer. He said that they would rub motor oil on after to get a nice shine.

Is it practical? No, but were really not all about practicality here.

15. 54oldie

54oldie
    from Oklahoma

I have a base coat with flatten clear on top. Windex works great. I had problems with white spots until I starting using Windex and Micro Towel.

16. silentpoet

silentpoet
    from NWA

Drink more water. It will clear out your urine a bit and not leave spots so bad.

17. Sonny48

Sonny48
    from Mo.

I painted my truck the original color forester green with O'reilly's cheap omni paint with 50% flatner. Just wash it and let it dry... works out real well.

18. mammyjammer

mammyjammer
    from Area 51

Comet/Ajax worked good on my primer grey..but I had about an half inch of primer on it.

19. voodoo1

voodoo1

Lemon pledge, plus it'll smell great and get rid of the urine smell! Do not use the comet or Ajax! That stuff will scuff it up and screw it up!!

20. FTW666

FTW666

at the harley dealership i work at the detailers use aresol cans of "protect all" seems to work well on customers bikes at getting the greasy finger prints after we work on them and the road stains they come in with. its also used on the out-of-the-box new bikes. harleys flat black looks like a chalkboard when new.

21. vividlyvintage

vividlyvintage

SEM has a nice product called "Hot Rod black". It is a flat black but it can be waxed. on the old satin finishes we used to use windex. But since the introduction of the SEM product we just wax like normal.

Thanks,
    Skrach
    www.VividlyVintage.com

22. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Really? What wax did you use? We have SEM HRB on 2 cars and it seems anything with wax in it streaks the finish and gives it an uneven appearance. I'd love to hear what you used so I could get some additional protection on the car.

I am learning to work with mine and fix stuff like spilled gasoline drops. I bought a can of SEM Solve and use that to clean off stains. Mothers also makes a fantastic detailer that has no wax in it which works very well for keeping the car dust and dirt free. Using the Mothers I have only had to wash the car a few times, and found that a very weak solution of Dawn dish detergent in water removed dirt and then wiped spot free with one of those Absorber drying chamois.

I also think ours is getting tougher as time goes on. In the beginning the surface seemed "soft" and harder to keep spot free. But now that it has aged a year or more I find it is more resistant to damage from screwups.

Don

23. use WASH/WAX ALL-you can only get it online from Aerocosmetics. It is used on planes, boats and all my cars, including daily drivers. Water based spray on when car is dry and wipe. Used it for years. My '41 is flay black.

24. vividlyvintage

vividlyvintage

I have used different types Meguiars wax. I like the tech wax. I have been pretty successful with that. Although id try a small spot on your car to make sure it will work. There might be variations in the sem product. Because I have heard people having similar issues. I lay my paint on very heavy (4-5 coats) so maybe thats why I don't have those issues.

Thanks,
    Skrach
    www.VividlyVintage.com

25. Gman0046

Gman0046

The secret for cleaning flat or satin black with urine is to use fresh urine. Using old urine inhibits the cleaning and shining capabilities and smells bad especially in the sun.

26. vividlyvintage

vividlyvintage

27. Bull

Bull

Thanks for the plug! See my signature for a HAMBer discount.
    [​IMG]

28. csimonds

csimonds

I have a Blitz Black Buick now, but before I had a Galaxie with the same paint. After a good wash and chamie dry I hit it with the spray on ICE wax. Looks real good after that and doesn't make it shine like crazy.
    Chuck

29. vividlyvintage

vividlyvintage

I wondered about ICE wax. I never had the chance to try it yet. Maybe I will buy some this weekend then. Thanks,

Skrach
    www.VividlyVintage.com

30. trailer park playboy

trailer park playboy
    from tulare ca.