Register now to get rid of these ads!

best truck seat?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by darkngtz, Jun 22, 2011.

1. darkngtz

darkngtz
    from new mexico

I have a 55 f100 and im lookin for some killer seats for it but have no idea where to go, googled it and didnt get much, searched here and didnt find anything either. I live in farmington nm so there isnt any hotrod shop here, that i know of......
    Thanks for the help
    -Matt

2. squirrel

squirrel

Stock works well....

3. rustrustler

rustrustler

Measure about a 96 ford pickup should e about right. Mike

4. darkngtz

darkngtz
    from new mexico

5. J Twitero

J Twitero
    from Minnesota

My suggestion is to grab some measurements and start hitting the local pick-a-part. Be willing to check *anything* there. My dad has a 1940 (early) IH pickup that he rodded and after trying buckets from all kinds of small cars and not getting them to fit the way he wanted he finally ended up using the rear bench seat out of a mercedes after building a support for it to fit the truck. Worked great and he was able to keep it back far enough in the cab to retain what little leg room they had.

6. Judging by your link and your avatar you're looking for something more modern. I know guys are running mid row Escalade / Suburban seats in them. Or maybe 3rd row - I can't remember.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2011
  7. niceguyede

niceguyede
    from dallas

Ive used the minivan 2nd and 3rd row seats in a few 40's trucks. The width is about perfect. I had to shorten the mounts for the right hieght. As for buckets, you can find just about any bucket that you like and ditch the headrest and section the back frame for a low style.

8. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

A stock seat with new springs upholstered by an oldtimer familiar with seats built for comfort rather than work can be one of the most comfortable seats ever and look great too!

9. RHOPPER

RHOPPER

Stock bench, or a bench from a late model compact pickup. Some late models may even come with the seatbelt anchors.

10. darkngtz

darkngtz
    from new mexico

You guys are awsome and i spreciate the help! Ur right i wanted something a little more modern but classy, not too racey and those are some great ideas!

11. This is the stock seat from my truck. Reupholstered with a white pearl tuck & roll and gold flake piping.

Attached Files:

12. darkngtz

darkngtz
    from new mexico

Do u have a pic of that? Sounds awsome!

13. darkngtz

darkngtz
    from new mexico

That looks nice!

14. scrubba

scrubba

I have a 53 Ford Panel delivery . Now with that said , I obsconded with a pair of the then "Brand New " Low back seats from a Dodge Caravan van . That was in 1985. Still running them , bases and all. They nearly bolt to the origional holes too. Then too, why not confiscate a pair of Factory Ford Van Highbacks from a van, bases an all. They too will fit fine in all 53-56 Ford trucks ! scrubba

15. darkngtz

darkngtz
    from new mexico

16. darkngtz

darkngtz
    from new mexico

See im new to the street/hot rod world and had no idea that those kind of seats would fit, probably save me a fortune. Got any pics?

17. darkngtz

darkngtz
    from new mexico

Those are actually really close!

18. mr.happy

mr.happy
    from tennessee

Look for some BMW e30 e36 or e28 sport seats.

19. J Twitero

J Twitero
    from Minnesota

I dont have pics, I will check and see if he can e-mail me some.

20. blue 49

blue 49
    from Iowa

Stay with a thin seat back or you'll lose valuable leg room.

21. FoxSpeed

FoxSpeed
    from NorCal

Check the mid 90's chevy trucks, bench seat is a natural fit and looks like it belongs. I had one in my 56 f100.

22. lan240

lan240
    1. 37-38 Chevys

I have a pair of 2000 mustang seats in 38 Chevy. I let my friend see if they fit in his 53 F100 and the fit great. I have the head rests removed.

23. ArizonaBill

ArizonaBill
    from Arizona

i have early mustang buckets in my truck....

24. Never2low

Never2low

I've lusted over a teas seat for my truck, for a while now, but I just can't get myself to drop a grand plus on a seat:eek:. Depending on what seat style(bench, split bench, arm rests) you want, and what material, they run between $900-$1500, more if you want ostrich or some crazy shit. I've heard alot of guys running rear seats out of suv's and vans, with alot of success. Wander through the local junk yard with a tape measure, find one you like that fits then you can hit the internet junk yards looking for a specific color fabric/leather. Happy hunting!

25. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

A stock F-100 seat is the Only way to go...

And Guess What ? They fit the truck & bolt right in !!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would be more worried about Trashing the wheels & getting somthing nice ....

Sorry, But those wheels in the Avitar are just WRONG on so many levels.

26. IAVWGUY

IAVWGUY

I also have dodge caravan seats in my 36 Dodge pickup. They work great. I am going to use a pair of Bronco II seats in my 49 Fleetline they look good and you can get two different styles one from a regular Bronco II and a sportier style from the Eddie Bauer edition.

27. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

I have a 94 Chevy pu seat in my 53 F100, far better than stock seat was. Perfect fit.

28. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Unless it is chopped, stock and reupholstered by a damned good trimmer looks best and fits your butt an back best. I've probably had 10 seats of different styles in the 48 over the years and the best and most comfortable one I ever had in it was the original seat that Bobby Richards of Waco redid in true roll and pleat in 1973. I drove the truck so much over the next few years that I wore the seat out and changed seats after I chopped it. The 66 Toronado seat fit great and sat great but it still wasn't as comfortable after three or four hundred miles in a day.

29. DirtyEd

DirtyEd
    from Dallas Ga.

I ran a dodge dakota split bucket/console in my 58 chevy.I found one in a wreck that was charcoal leather and in reall good shape.I had the carpet and door panels done to match.Left the seat alone.If you get one out of an extended cab the console folds up to make a middle seat.I am pretty sure your ford is real close to the same width as my 58 was.

30. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

My '55 is chopped 4 1/4 inches ...

I sectioned the Stock Sliders as far as I could go & still be functional, Comfy & sit as low as I need for a Chopped F-100.

Stock is the ONLY way to go !

Have a NICE stock seat in my '55 F-350 Dually 4x4 ... Never even thought of a seat change in either Truck.